vesicovaginal fistula repair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vesicovaginal fistula repair vesicovaginal fistula repair

Unread 07-15-2003, 07:59 PM
vesicovaginal fistula repair

Hello sisters,

Thank you all for praying that I would be one in the 2% to heal from a vesicovaginal fistula with a cathetar, however it did not heal and I am scheduled for surgery Tuesday July 21, 2003. I am really glad that they are doing something about it, because I have felt as if they were just stringing me along and I have been extremely miserable.

My question to you all is approximately what is the recovery time (how long will I need to plan to be off work for vaginal repair and abdominal repair), I am just trying to get my stuff in order before next week and I was really looking forward to jazzercise, so if anyone have any answer please let me know.

I love you all and keep praying for me as I pray for you. Thanks for the support you are all angels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-15-2003, 09:18 PM

Hi,

Sorry your fistula didn't repair on it's own. I went back to work at 6 weeks post op from the fistula repair done abdominally...but it was too soon. I am 5 months post op now and am able to jog 3 miles slowly now but I still get swelly belly and pain.

It's a long road. At least you finally have a date for surgery. I kept getting strung along from uro too...he wanted to make sure I was healed enough from the abdominal hysterectomy to have good tissue to work with to mend my hole....

Listen to your body. Ask questions here and you will be in my thoughts and I'm sure all the fistula woman will be here to support you.

(((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Renee
Unread 07-16-2003, 01:54 AM
Hi Snoopy

I am sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with a VVF. I just had a VVF repair done on July 7th. The surgeon told me it would take 4-6 weeks for me to heal. I had it done vaginally.

Good luck,
and I'll be praying for you...
(((((((()))))))))))

Maddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2003, 08:53 AM

Hi Snoopy

I am sorry your VVF did not heal on its own...but at least you are moving forward and will get the repair done next week!!! I have been thinking and praying for ya and will continue as your day draws near....

As for the recovery- you are looking at a good 6 weeks to feel alot better- things start to heal as soon as 2 weeks, but your bladder must rest and heal on its own...it is a very forgiving organ and does heal well with the proper post-op follow-up..as for jazzercise- I wouldn't even consider it for a while and you will have to see how your bladder feels as to if you want to be jumping around...walking is the best to build your strength back up... hope this helps and let us know if you need ANYTHING else..

wishing you the best on 7/21- how are you having it repaired??? vag or abdominal?? or maybe they don't know yet!!! Stay well and keep busy to pass the time quickly...

Thinking of you!!! P.S.- I always loved Snoopy- he is so cool!!!

Unread 07-17-2003, 08:40 AM

Hi, Snoopy!

Glad you have a date for repair.

The girls are right, you need a good six weeks after the surgery to heal. I had the abdominal fix, he tried vag first just like the hyster so I was really sore. The first few days are really tough, I can't lie to you, just take it one day at a time, rest alot and don't try and do too much too soon.
I went back to work full time at 6 weeks but in retrospect, I should have taken it slower. I am 6 months post repair and I still get achey once in a while. I went for a check up last week and they say everything looks good, but I swear I have the smallest bladder in hysterville! Every day gets better-give yourself time to heal-take the time you need.
I will be thinking of you next week-keep us posted when you feel up to it.

Hugs, Louise
Unread 07-17-2003, 12:49 PM
I'm going in on July 21 too...

Praying for a successful surgery & quick recovery for both of us!

I'm planning to return to work 4 weeks post-op. My surgery will be done vag, unless he finds something unexpected while there. He told me 4 week should do. But the sisters here seems to have experienced differently. I guess we just have to listen to what our bodies tell us.

Take care and I'll be think of you as I go under!
Unread 07-17-2003, 08:33 PM
Hi Julie,

Yes, everyone is different.

Good luck with your surgery and wishing you all the best..

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-18-2003, 11:12 AM

Hi, Maddy

How are you doing today? Any sucess with BM ?

Maria
Unread 07-18-2003, 11:22 AM

LOL how we talk about BM's like it's SUCH an accomplishment. My daughter (19yo) thinks I'm obssesed with BM's....

I love this site. It helps me so much.

Renee
Unread 07-18-2003, 12:21 PM

Hi, Renee,

You are right all our conversations about BM for some outsider would look so ridicules. But I remember how much I suffered first week after the surgery . And I did not feel that I want to discuss this issue with my DH. So isn't it great that there is a place where you can talk about such things and to know that everybody understands...

I did not get chance to thank you , Renee, for your support. Some days I feek so depressed ( like today) and it's just so great to have you and other sisters...

Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register