What are "huge" fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What are "huge" fibroids? What are "huge" fibroids?

Unread 07-16-2003, 01:20 AM
What are "huge" fibroids?

Hi all

Could somebody please tell me the definition of "huge" fibroids? Just curious, as I've noticed the expression used in several posts. I have three fibroids, the largest of which is about 3cm. Not very big at all, I don't think, but messing me up enough anyway.

Be well, ladies.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2003, 02:34 AM

I think "big" is a bit misleading. It's really the extent to which they are causing you problems that's more important.

Most women in their forties have fibroids but in many cases they cause no problems.

I had a couple of fibroids about 5cm wide and one "the size of a baby's head" - but the problem wasn't so much the size but the fact that they were pressing on my bowel and bladder and causing pelvic pain.

Although getting over surgery is never nice, you will feel better and I looking forward to being free of pain really soon.

Good luck with your surgery.

Charlotte
LAVH 6/25/03
Unread 07-16-2003, 07:03 AM
fibroid

I had one "huge" fibroid removed that was measured at 14 cm. in an ultrasound and when my dr. saw it she said it was "massive." With her hands she indicated the size of a cantelope. I don't know why they are always compared to fruit but....anyway feel better now that it's gone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2003, 03:28 PM
what are "huge" fibroids

Debbie,

I looked for an answer to this question and never really found what makes a fibroid large or small. I currently have 1 fibroid that is the size of a large navel orange. I think mine would be considered large, but considering that some can reach the size of a watermelon, I doubt mine is "huge".

I think the location of the fibroid can have a lot to do with the severity of symptoms. Once they get really big they will all cause problems, but even the smaller fibroids can cause major problems if the fibroid protrudes into the uterine cavity or is pressing on another organ.

I am very much looking forward to having mine removed as it is causing much pain!!!

Hugs....Joan
Unread 07-16-2003, 03:56 PM

I believe everyone has a different interpretation of "huge". I guess it's what you make of it. Mine aren't big at all - the largest just the size of a golf ball; however, gyn says it looks like a vineyard in there and on the outside - clusters of them in several places - guess that could equate to something big? Trying not to think about it I suppose.

Karen (LAVH 7/29)
Unread 07-17-2003, 02:08 PM
vaginal hysterectomy possible for huge fibroids?

Hi Ladies: I'd like your opinion on vaginal hysterectomy for removing large uterus/fibroids. I've been told my uterus is 16-18 weeks pregnancy size; my fibroids total size of cantaloupe.

My Dr recommends vaginal hyst but I have my fears about if uterus can be removed in one piece. I'm considering asking for an abdominal incision if Dr. says she has to cut up uterus to get it all out. Any advice, especially from you ladies who had large uterus and underwent vaginal hyst. would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 07-17-2003, 02:54 PM
my dr said

he wouldn't do a VH if the uterus was bigger than 10-12wk size.

how do you know if your fibroids are "Huge"?

if they have their own zip code! mine do!!!!

Fluffy Lemur
Unread 07-17-2003, 04:57 PM

I agree, I think huge is relative. I just scheduled my SAH on 8/28. I have one predominate fibroid, estimated at 10 cm. My uterus is the size of a 20 wk fetus. I've been dealing with this for years, but I am now just sick of it. Being single and childless makes you hold out a little longer. But I am tired of going to the restroom every 1/2 hr and when on my cycle, changing every 1/2 to 1 hr, paranoid to sit down. I've learned to deal with the pain, but now I realize ...why?
When I asked my doctor was my main fibroid considered large, she mentioned that she has removed them at 2 cm. She also mentioned that she has a patient walking around with a 17cm tumor - she refused to have surgery.
So, I still say, it's relative. Only you know when enough is enough.
Oh yea - when I requested a vaginal - the doctor said 'no way'. When you get over a 13wk size it has to be abdominal.
Unread 07-17-2003, 08:28 PM

From what I have read, a vaginal hysterectomy has a faster recovery rate than an abdominal one.

I had an LAVH three weeks ago and the Dr said that he had difficulty getting the largest fibroid out (baby's head size) but that he was able to "winkle" it out rather than having to cut it.

The vagina is an extraordinarily elastic body part and most large fibroids can be removed this way but not all.

From my point of view, the major advantage has been having only four small incisions rather than a larger abdominal one which I think is bit harder to get over. It's been really fascinating ( in a weird kind of way) watching the incision in my belly button slowly shrink into the belly as my tummy has started deflating - I don't think I'll be able to see it much at all once I've fully recovered.

The down side? It's a slightly longer procedure so you have more anaesthetic to get rid of. LAVH procedures have been around a long while now and experienced doctors have very good results from them.

I haven't had much difficulty lifting things of modest weight (ie unloading the dishwasher) and my dr was incredibly sensible - he said that I could do most things but to listen to my body and if it hurts - don't do it!

Vaginal hysterectomy also usually (I think) means loss of cervix and that sometimes worries some women in relation to sex. Again, my very nice dr pointed out that sexual pleasure comes from the clitoris and that is NOT going to be removed! I can vouch for his reassurance on that score personally!!

It's your decision, get all the info you can, ask your dr about everthing that is of any concern no matter how trivial and get yourself in the best possible physical and mental shape for surgery so that your recovery will be swift.

Good luck!

Charlotte (42 and have now discovered the meaning of life - no more bleeding!!)
LAVH 6/25/03 fibroids, endo and ovarian cysts
Unread 07-17-2003, 10:34 PM
huge fibroids?

A 3cm fibroid isn't huge, but the real issue is whether it is causing you problems or not. My fibroids made my uterus about 12-14 week size. For years I had no symptoms at all so they weren't concerned about them. Then this year I got lots of symptoms and finally had the entire shebang removed.

My dr said the way they determine vaginal vs abdominal is whether they can pull the uterus up enough to get it out vaginally. Since I had such an enlarged uterus and it was tipped, she tried but ended up having to do it abdominally.

Hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register