Time to stop lurking and ask my questions - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Time to stop lurking and ask my questions Time to stop lurking and ask my questions

Unread 07-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Hi Audrey

Cancerhead is normal. I think it's a good sign that you're aware of possibilities. If there is any suspicion from your Dr. that cancer may be involved, then a combination of the pelvic exam (oh joy), CA125, and transvaginal ultrasound (oh greater joy) should tell an initial tale. What you have could be other things but some do point toward OC. If the Dr. isn't sure or wants to do a laparotomy, please see a gyn/onc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2003, 07:12 PM
((((Audrey))))

I am sorry to hear you are going through this. I will be thinking about you.
Unread 07-16-2003, 07:14 PM
Time to stop lurking and ask my questions

First of all, thanks and . Right now, I'm shaken by the events in Santa Monica this afternoon -- I was there (go every week) half an hour prior to the terrible accident. This hasn't helped my mood any...I still don't know if any of my vendor/friends (it's like a community, these farmers' markets) are OK or not . I can't stop shaking...

I'm starting with my GYN and asking for an urgent CT with contrast...if there's a hernia or bowel obstruction, the ultrasound won't help, and I don't want to wait a week for one test, then a week for another. The GYN-oncologist who actually did my surgery was someone I only saw twice... the morning of my surgery and at the six-week check. However, his senior fellow is a prince among men as well as surgeons, and finished his fellowship just last month. I'm trying to find out where he's gone, as I know he was staying in the L.A. area. And my GYN won't hesitate to refer me under the circumstances. If I do need a lap, with the endo, I won't have it with anyone but one of the oncologists in the group -- or with this surgeon, if he's still around.

All this wouldn't be quite so overwhelming were it not for the fact that the disc problems are becoming troublesome, and I'm having some radiation/weakness down the right leg, similar to what I experienced prior to my surgery. I also had the same symptoms when I was hugely pregnant with my DD (was horrendously toxemic at that time) The bloat thing...well, I eat mostly fish and veggies, almost NO dairy and few starchy carbs...it's the way I've always eaten, and there's nothing new there to explain this. Wish I could say it's fat, but I've always had good abdominal muscles (years of yoga) so I know that's not it...

Thank you guys. If my stress level wasn't extreme before, after today.... I appreciate the hugs -- right back at you all! And I will post after Friday's visit...I'm trying to talk someone into ordering the labs for me tomorrow, so that they're back before the visit.

And Karen, I thought about bringing this up in chat, but...I'm kind of shy about it, thinking that I'm probably all worried for nothing .

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2003, 05:49 AM
GCF Recommends to Diagnose Ovarian CA

Hi, Audrey--

That was a very tragic accident in Santa Monica yesterday; I hope all your friends are okay, and my thoughts and prayers are with those who were affected.

I preface my comment by saying that I am an endometrial cancer survivor, who knows very little about ovarian cancer. I have recently written the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation (GCF) Chairman and others about the recent GCF Supplement that appeared in the NY Times on June 22. While I thanked them for doing the Supplement, my concern was that while they recommended a strategy including a number of tests for ovarian cancer (and a pap and HPV test for cervical) they provided no testing recommendations for endometrial cancer where the mortality to incidence ratio has been rising in recent years. Because of my work on the letter, I am familiar with the ovarian testing recommendations in the Supplement.

Drs. Barakat and Goff recommend to diagnose or rule out ovarian cancer the following (and in the order presented):

--pelvic/rectal exam
--pelvic u/s
--transvaginal u/s
--CA-125
--laparoscopy
--laparotomy

You mentioned that you were requesting a CT for other reasons, bowel obstruction, etc. However, if one of your major concerns is ovarian ca, why not consider proceeding with the above tests in conjunction with the CT?

My recommendation would be with your family and personal history, and your cancerhead (when I got it I referred to it as the "cancer crazies," but either term works), I would be dealing with a board certified gyn-onc with a lot of years experience, who can get you through the process quickly. I think your concerns are valid and should be addressed promptly because, where cancer is concerned, I believe it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Best of luck and I hope you end up not needing the CC Board--

MoeKay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register