catheter not draining properly? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

catheter not draining properly? catheter not draining properly?

Unread 07-16-2003, 01:40 AM
catheter not draining properly?

Hi all,

The last few days I've exerienced some unusual discomfort. I thught for sure that my catheter(s) were backing up (I could feel it in my urethra and a couple of times at the base of the supra cath. I don't feel it while I'm sitting or standing up, but I do when I am laying down. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

It looks like the caths are not draining properly into the bag. It's like there's a vacuum that prevents it from going all the way in. The next thing I thought of was that it might be bladder spasms.. I just don't know.. All I know is that it's very uncomfortable.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, please let me know.

z,
Maddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2003, 01:50 AM

Hi Maddy Yes, I haven't had a supra before but both times I've had foleys post op I've had the troubles with it not draining properly depending on what position I'm in. The catheters absolutely need to have the bag below the level of your bladder in order to drain properly. This can be hard to do when you're lying down, especially if you have a leg bag. I remember a couple of nights when I woke up in such pain with an empty bag because I'd accidentally rolled over and the leg with the bag on it was on top (I sleep on my side)! Ouch! Anyway as soon as I stood up, it would fill up really fast.

Do you have a way you can position yourself either with pillows or in a recliner, so that your bladder is up a bit above the bag? That should help. Or, if you have a long enough tube to the bag, you could prop the bag up on the floor against the side of the bed (or hang it on the side of the bed down by the floor); that would work, too. Anything you can do to make gravity work for you.

If you find that after repositioning yourself, the bag is still not filling and you're getting that full feeling in your bladder, please give your DR's office a call. There must be a DR on call who can tell you what to try next or suggest you go to the ER. It's important to keep things draining properly or you can wind up with a bladder infection, and you sure don't want that!

I hope that simply repositioning yourself will do the trick. Let us know how you're doing, OK? We worry about you!
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-16-2003, 02:06 AM
Hi Linda,

Wow, thanks for responding so quickly. The odd thing is, the bags are below my bladder, they are sitting on the floor while I am on the bed.. Really weird. Anyway, thanks, I will probably call the Dr. tomorrow...

z,
Maddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2003, 05:56 AM

HI Maddy

Here is what happened to me- the same thing!!! It is as Linda said very important to keep it below your bladder and mine did not drain as well when I was laying down. You also might need to have the catheter flushed with sterile water...your Dr's office can do this and then they can show you how to do it yourself. Do you have a visiting nurse checking in on you?? She can do it to..one night I started peeing around the supra instead of going into the bag and needed to have it flushed- this removes any "gunk" that may be caught around the tip of the cath in your bladder..

So I would go into URO and have this done anyway, as it should be done to keep everything clear and running. After the cath's have been inside you they can clog up- and this keeps that from happening..hope this helps and let us know how you are doing later.

Unread 07-16-2003, 07:59 AM

Hi Maddy,

When my catheters would clog up I would increase my water intake. There is a lot of gunk in the bladder & the only thing that will thin it is water or cranberry juice. If that doesn't help I would call the dr but it always cleared right up for me. (Sorry I know that sounds as ridiculous as telling someone to pick a "good" dr (duh!) When I hear someone say that I always wonder who are these people that pick bad dr's. Anyway we ostomates have to drink even more water than normal in order to keep the jelly crap liquified. So far haven't had any infections other than day 3 of 4th surgery so dr says I must be doing something right. Knock on wood!

Terry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register