Q's about siatic nerve | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Q's about siatic nerve Q's about siatic nerve

Unread 07-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Q's about siatic nerve

I was in Vancouver to see my old doc during my kids spring break. When I saw him, I complained about 2 things. 1) my right hip ~ everytime I walk it would give out on me. I told him I was exercing in hope that will make it better. He said that I'm on the right track. 2) I have pain that radiates down on my left behind. I lose sleep when I toss and turn at night. It is very painful when I toss and turn. I have to use my arms and hands to lift my body up to move it over. He said that if it continues any longer still, then he would go for a battery of xrays to find out what is going on. Told me when I get back home to push the issue with my doc here. It is still bothering me and am still losing sleep over this pain.

Has anyone had this problem? What can be done about it? Any suggestions before I go and make that app't with my doc. He is always 'swishy washy' . Anyways, any advice in this matter would be helpful.

Thanks ladies!

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2003, 02:24 PM
sciatic nerve

I have had back problems for a number of years.. the diagnosis so far is degenerative disc disease.. a nice word for arthritis. One of the problems from this is the pinching of the sciatic nerve. When the discs get messed up and start to become inflamed, it presses on that nerve. I take ibuprofen as an anit inflamatory and pain pills.

I've found that ice really does help when that shooting pain down the butt and leg kicks in. I've alternated between ice and heat and had always prefered heat, but have found ice does help to reduce the swelling around the nerves. I use frozen corn or peas! Yup.. they work the best. I just keep them in the freezer and re-use over and over. Not good to eat after too many refreezes, but I just whack it on the counter to break it all up again.

You should have your doc do at least a MRI and see what is going on. It will be a benchmark for later e-xrays to see if it is getting worse, or improving.

Good luck.. back pain is a tough one to deal with.
Unread 07-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Q's about siatic nerve

I think, of course, that it is important to find out what is causing your discomfort. So don't just see your insist that investigation be done to find out what the problem is.

As far as pain in the sciatic nerve, I had really good relief from a good massage therapist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Q's about siatic nerve

I had the sciatic pain too, and mine turned out to be caused from a ruptured disc.

I had all the usual tests; they started with a cat scan, which showed a small herniated disc, an MRI showed the same thing and the doctor said that he couldn't understand why I was in so much pain because the disc didn't seem to be that bad. The final test I had was a dye mylogram which had to be stopped before it was complete and I was rushed in for emergency surgery because it turned out that I had a birth defect in my spinal column. In the exact same spot as the herniated disc, my spinal column narrowed and was mashing the nerve.

My pain radiated all the way down my backside and into my lower legs. The pain was so bad that if anyone even touched my skin on my leg it would send me through the roof. I spent many a week laying on the floor trying to get relief from the pain. Even the coctail of Motrin, Valium and Flexeril didn't help.

I am happy to say that 13 years after my surgery, i am painfree. Don't give up on finding an answer for your pain.

Janet
Unread 07-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Q's about siatic nerve

I too have issues with the sciatic nerve. My chiropractor had advised me to lay flat on the floor and put my legs up on the chair or couch in a bent position. sort of like you are tipped over in a chair but on the floor. It does seem to help but I don't recommend staying in that position for a long time. 10 minutes usually did the trick for me.....

good luck!!!!

jkp
Unread 07-20-2003, 09:33 AM
Q's about siatic nerve

Count me in on the back probs. I have deg disc, stenosis, 2 herniated discs and sciatic probs also.... been thru all the tests. Went for PT for neck and back - best thing given to me was a back roll. You can use an unused roll of paper towels (same exact size) when sitting - push your butt as far to seat as you can then slide roll down as far as you can...it doesn't relieve pain but will help it from becoming worse if you use it often enough.

After years of this - found a great dr that would do this test that actually induces pain to see if in fact the pain is coming from the discs or elsewhere. If the discs are the prob - there is a new procedure called IDET which goes in with a tiny coil and burns the protruding disc out....rather than fusion or other surgery. The bummer is I can't get it because my insurance refused.

Haven't been able to take pain med due to ulcer...so sleeping is horrible - you are right there. The best I can say....keep going until you get a dr you like and when sent for tests..remember to ask "what will it show and how will you treat whatever it shows" I have learned (the hard way) they send you for tests and give you answers to what is causing your prob but then are extremely limited on HOW to treat it.

I went for accupuncture, massage, chiropractic, pain shots - you name it........still not doing so well. The massages actually gave me pain in another spot.... accupuncture and chiro only help if you KEEP GOING.............so be careful!
Unread 07-21-2003, 07:57 PM
Q's about siatic nerve

Hey Dale, I lived with bad sciatic pain on the right side for years. Mine was from a fall down the stairs where I landed very hard on on my right hip. All tests - MRI - X-ray showed no problems. I went through lots of physical therapy that never gave me permanent relief. I came close to disabled from it.

The only way I could sleep was on the couch with my right leg hung over the back of the couch. Like you, I could not get up from a lying position in the normal way. I had to roll off onto the floor. I would stand up and turn wrong and the pain would shoot down my leg and I would be afraid to move. Just be there stuck in one place until I gingerly started slowly moving.

Finally, after I had developed Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue, my doctor finally sent me to a physical therapist who used what I think is called the Alexander technique and that took away 10 years of sciatica ! I really think I developed the FMS because I had lived with that one area of pain for so long that it spread to become all over body pain plus not sleeping and my activity level went to nothing. The fatigue was just part of it.

I fell down the stairs in 1986 and I had this done in 1996. He put me in different postions and stretched and manipulated my hip muscles to the point where he got the muscle off the sciatic nerve. My doctor said I must have damaged the piriformis muscle which connects the hip and pelvis. The sciatic neve which is the largest nerve in your body and about the size of your thumb, runs either over, under, or through this muscle. Since the nerve is so large, there is more area for it to be affected by maladjustment of muscles in that area. But, like others have said, it could be from a spinal or bone problem.

I have only had one problem since then and it was a year after when I got up on the roof to help my husband cover up the holes in the roof when a tree fell on it. Not something I would normally do. I still have some hip pain problems with too much shopping but nothing like I use to and it goes away. I can get up like a normal person again. It took me years to not still want to sleep with my leg over the back of the couch.

One thing is that ice is the best thing for nerve pain. Heat just makes it worse. One good thing is to put water in a plastic cup and freeze it. Tear off the bottom of the cup and use the ice block to rub over your hip area as long as you can stand it. I use to do this and then do range of motion exercises that I could NOT do without numbing the area with ice.

Getting it fixed allowed me to sleep again and to finally do consistant pool exercise without the hip pain which lead to major improvements in the FMS pain and fatigue.

Good luck to you on getting that sciatica hip pain corrected and that it does not take as long as my jounrey. I hope what I wrote helps you in some way. I feel for you and sincerely hope you can get some relief..... Janie
Unread 07-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Q's about siatic nerve

]Janie...how did you get diagnosed with Fibromyalgia? I have been looking at sites on it and seem to fit a lot of the symptoms. Right now I get the soreness that feels under my skin...hard to describe..but because I have so many other things that show up on MRIs, etc....no diagnose of it.
Unread 07-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Q's about siatic nerve

Oh, I feel your pain,

I too have a siatic nerve problem, and if I ignoe it, it "flares up" and I am in pretty bad shape.
I make sure to walk or at least move around the office instead of sitting for hours on end (no pun intended(. I also go to a great chiropractor at least once a week as well as getting message therapy on a regular bases. Ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory take works for me.
Of course right now I'm not at the office. I am on 11th day of post-op, so I am walking as much as my body will allow. So, no siatic nerve issue, for now.
Good Luck, and try to walk.
Unread 07-22-2003, 06:19 AM
Help Please.............

Hi Ladies

Sooo glad I read this thread...any help you can offer to me would be great!!! I to now have SEVERE pain in my left hip, which radiates down my leg.. this started about 1 week ago and has gotten worse as the days go on..

Brief history- after my 2nd surgery for VVF I used to favor my right leg ALOT as my cath was on my left leg and that was the easiest way for me to get around...so now I guess I am paying for that??? This flares up even worse when I get into bed, try and move/turnover whatever- and when I go to get out of bed-like this morning I had to have DH help me and I had to work thru the pain to be able to put any weight on my leg..when I do that I can walk with pretty much no problem, but when I sit again like now at computer/or in the car- when I go to get up- OUCH is an understatement... so do you think it is my sciatic or maybe something else- I am taking tylenol which does help and trying to walk and stretch- I just don't want to go back to DR again- I am so sick of this I was crying just thinking about it this morning- I need my life back- as we all do...any help is greatly appreciated and I hope all the women here find relief- this pain is just awful and I would not want anyone to suffer as we have..

well thanks for listening and hope everyone has better days ahead!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register