Updates from Neurontin users? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Updates from Neurontin users? Updates from Neurontin users?

Unread 07-16-2003, 07:13 PM
Updates from Neurontin users?

Hi sisters!

I just finished my site search on Neurontin and was wondering how everyone who has been using it lately is faring? I have so many questions. Yet once again, I am feeling like the mouse in the maze where there may or may not be cheese. I am trying to be optimistic but yet not set myself up for a huge crash of disappointment where I need to scrape myself off the pavement again when the new thing doesn't work ...

I went to the pain management office today and we are going to be trying Neurontin for my severe joint pain (not fibromyalgia). Anybody have experiences (postivie or negative) with joint pain and Neurontin? They are starting me very slowly (100mg/day) because I seem to have weird medication sensitivities lately. How high did you all have to get/ how long did it take before you started feeling better (if it helped)?

Thanks for all your help! I love you all.
Loretta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2003, 04:39 AM

Hi Loretta,

Don't have any personal experience with Neurontin but just last week there was a post. A major news agency blew the whistle on bogus claims. It was a very interesting article & you may want to search & find that thread. Also the actual link for the article was pasted.
Unread 07-17-2003, 06:46 AM

Hi I ever took neurontin but dh did he only got up to 300mg and had too go to 150 because he drives all day. But he can not tolerate it his mood was wicked and he was always in a bad mood. Just his experience hopefully you wont have these. I posted the story on Neurontin last week. It is very interesting. angie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2003, 09:50 AM

I worked slowly up to 1200 mg of Neurontin a day. I tolerated the drug well but it really didn't help the nerve pain, although my doctor swears that it is very helpful with many of his patients. I stopped taking it instead of increasing the dose because at 900 mg it started causing a lot of nausea and heartburn which I am still dealing with weeks after going off the medication. I understand that is not a common side effect, but I have bowel disease so it's not a big surprise for me.
Unread 07-18-2003, 02:18 PM

I hope you find relief with Neurontin. I have heard that it works really well if the source of your pain is nerve related. I tried it for my pelvic pain in 1999 and it didn't help at all... but I found out later I didn't have the nerve problem they thought I did so I guess it makes sense that it didn't help me at all.

I also could not tolerate the drug. I have heard that you either can or you can't. I started with a 100 mg pill cut in 1/4s ...so I started out at 25mg. Even that was too much and I could not even function. The doctor told me to cut that in half again and keep taking it.... he thought I would get used to it but I struggled for two weeks and then just gave up... It didn't help and I felt like I could barely stay awake and that my brain had turned into porridge. I have heard of others who have no problems with taking 300 mg a day.

Hope it helps you and you don't have any side affects.

Sblumen
Unread 07-18-2003, 02:59 PM

Loretta,
I've tried Neurontin several times. The first time it was prescribed by my neuro doc for headaches. I had awful side effects, dizziness, nausea, etc. I finally just stopped because I wasn't functioning very well at work.

The second time I didn't have ANY side effects. I did check and the doseage was the same as the first time. Than doc decided to do the incision revision and neuroma removal hoping that would take care of my problems so I stopped once again.

Gave it a go for the third time when surgery didn't help. No side effects, but no relief for me either. However, I wasn't on it very long and I read where sometimes you may have to keep upping the dose up to a certain limit, to find some relief.

Good luck! I'm saying a er that the Neurontin will help you and you will find some relief.
Unread 07-18-2003, 03:24 PM

Actually the Neurontin has to be taken for some time so that your body absorbs it. It does not work just like that.(So the docs told us) and that you cant just quit taking it. Well my dh did and he feels a lot better not taking it. According to the docs you have to take it exactly as directed.... It suppose to be one of those drugs that needs to be absorb and one that you just cant quit taken. So I dunno know about that. I just know that it was not intentionaly meant for nerve pain but for seizures. Who knows it just so happens to be the new pain drug of the year. Next year it will be something else.
Unread 07-18-2003, 05:09 PM

I have taken Neurontin for many years now for chronic pain (RSD) in my leg. I started at a low dose and now take 3600mg. a day borke up in 3 doses. It is part of a regime I am on that seems to help some. I still have really bad pain days but I think it dose help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register