A couple more tips for the LIW | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

A couple more tips for the LIW A couple more tips for the LIW

Unread 07-16-2003, 10:39 PM
A couple more tips for the LIW

I'm also fresh out of the hospital with some words of wisdom.
1. Nasal spray. I live in a humid climate and the dry hospital air was torture on my sinuses by the third day, so pack it in case your stay becomes extended like mine!
2. Treats. If you have bad nurses it will make them sweeter, if you have good ones it'll keep them happy, but please remember to share them with the people who clean the room and bring the food, they are priceless too. Also, I had a resident who assisted in the surgery check on me twice a day just for her sugar fix!
3. Sleeping mask. You think you are in the hospital to rest, but they come to check your vitals so often, you'll need it.
4. Walkman. If you want to listen to music while your roomate watches TV, to block out the hospital noises, or to get your mind off of things its essential.
5. LISTEN TO THE DR! The DR says to walk, the nurses say rest you don't feel well walk later...get up and walk, the DR knows how to make you better!
6. Keep the DR # handy. Sometimes the nurses will make a mistake or forget something, they're human, when in doubt give the DR a call to double check. Remember, they say you can call them anytime, that means in the hospital too.
7. Flowers only in PRIVATE rooms. Yes, you will love getting them, but make sure they can go home with a family member that evening, roomates can have allergies.
8. Note pad. Your memory will go blank with the meds, if you want to remember things, like the phone # home, write it all down!
9. Coughing. When the DR says to take a deep breath 10x and cough every hour, it means the type of cough like you have bronchitis, not like you are clearing your throat. If you want to avoid pneumonia you have to cough like you already have an infection!
10. TUMMY PILLOW! My best friend. Did I mention the coughing? Also for getting out of bed and sitting when able, essential for the ride home.
***Most underrated body part FEET*** They will help you move in bed, lower yourself to go potty, walk your way through recovery, if you have a thing against feet, it will fade, you will grow to love how helpful they are!
Please know that the hardest part really is the waiting. You are all wonderful ladies, and I wish you all the best of luck.
~Newly Crowned Princess Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2003, 09:42 AM
tips

Steph,

Thanks so mcuh for taking the time to post to the LIW!!! It makes me feel better each and every time I read a princess story, it gives me confidence that I will survive the surgery and that it won't be as bad as I think it will be!!!

I love your ideas, thanks for sharing them!!

Rest and I hope your recovery is wonderful!!

Hugs....Joan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register