Appointment with surgeon | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Appointment with surgeon Appointment with surgeon

Unread 07-17-2003, 09:47 PM
Appointment with surgeon

Well, I met the surgeon today. He was nice. I was so nervous going in there, but he put my mind at ease and I was able to easily talk to him. That's always a nice thing about a doctor that's going to be operating on you

So, yes, I am having the surgery for GERD. I feel good about it. The only problem is I have to wait until the first week of September. I am committed at work until August 21st and then I'm off for about 3 weeks. I thought that would be perfect timing. Well, he's out of town at the end of August! Isn't this how life works????? So I have to wait until after Labor Day. I won't have a date until mid-August! Oh well. I can hang in there a while.

In the meantime, I wanted to know what I can do to help my symptoms besides not eat. He wants me to stay on the Protonix even though I haven't had any success with it, but he wants me to take Mylanta with it. He told me Protonix is really the best. But then I asked him about what I can do about the food coming back up into my esophagus. He prescribed a medication called Reglan, I think. Maybe I completely messed up that spelling, I don't know. Anyway, it is a medication to speed up digestion so the food doesn't sit in my stomach so long. I'll go pick up my meds tomorrow and see how it works.

Don't worry ladies, if this gets really severe and I keep losing weight because of it, I will call him back and see about getting this done sooner. I am just so committed to my job and would hate to miss any of my work. See, I teach ballet to kids and feel like they need me there, so we'll see. I'm going to try to make it through the next 6 1/2 weeks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Appointment with surgeon

Hi (((pasdechat))), I'm glad you liked your new DR and feel comfortable with 'the plan'. Here's a link to some info about Reglan:

http://www.healthsquare.com/newrx/reg1369.htm

It increases contractions in the stomach and small intestine, to try to get stuff moving in the correct direction instead of coming back up. One thing to watch out for is that it can cause depression, so if you feel any sign of that, do let your DR know. I'm hoping the Reglan and Protonix with Mylanta will be a combination that can help you stay comfortable and stop losing weight until your surgery date is here.

Hang in there sweetie!
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Appointment with surgeon

Thanks surferbabe I will check out that link. I was going to try to find a website about it since I know very little about this drug. I am hoping for relief with the combination of meds. Gee, this makes pill #15 for me......15 pills a day!!!!!!!! I'm sure there's plenty of people out there that take more than me, but I am so tired of this. I am excited to get feeling better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2003, 02:15 AM
Appointment with surgeon

I took Reglan when I was having horrible stomach problems. I don't recall it having any bad side affects for me - but in my case I don't recall it helping either. I was taking it with aciphex. Nothing helped me then. I was also having something the Gastro called Globus ... maybe that is what your esophagus problems are... the doctor told me that chewing gum would help with that but I never tried it since cheaing gum also seemed to make my stomach upset worse.

Like I mentioned previously, mine turned out to be all from the pill I was on ... maybe yours is being exacerbated by the pill, especially the recent turn for the worse in the last couple weeks. I started on Ortho Cyclen a couple weeks ago and am already having tummy troubles again. WHen I wasn't on the pill I was able to eat anything (for almost a year now) . Now I am once again getting horrible indigestion every day regardless of what I eat. I am starting to think I may not be able to tolerate it again. Anyway, it was just a thought and perhaps going off it until your surgery might help you be able to eat so you won't loose too much weight. It is just an idea.

I am disappointed that I am having so much trouble with my tummy again. I was hoping the pill would help my pelvic pain which the docs are now thinking is maybe a flareup of endo again. It also usually helps my acne a great deal... lately I have been looking like a pizza. Oh well.

Best of luck!
Unread 07-18-2003, 07:44 AM
Appointment with surgeon

pasdechat, I was on a combo of Reglan, Zantac and Carafate when I was first diagnosed with GERD. I was told it had alot of side effects and some people cannot tolerate it. I had NO problems with it. It did help but after I went off of it, some of the symptoms came back and it took almost a year for everything to clear up. Good luck with the surgery and hang in there for now.............

Emily s
Unread 07-18-2003, 08:30 AM
Appointment with surgeon

Hello
Thanks for keeping us posted and happy to hear you can comunicate with your surgeon. Please though if you still loose your weight rapidly from not being able to eat then try to up your surgery time. Your not going to be able to be there for your ballet kids if you are really weak from not being able to eat. Praying that with this new medication you can eat something that will stay down and your surgery can go as your planning.
Unread 07-18-2003, 08:37 AM
Appointment with surgeon

(((((pasdechat)))))) I'm so happy the appointment with the surgeon went well, yesterday: what a relief to have someone you're comfortable with

I must admit I'm a bit concerned about the delays for the surgery, considering that you haven't been able to eat... but hope that the new med combination will help . You mention that you will now be taking 15 pills a day: I do hope that you get all of them from the same pharmacy, so that they can keep tabs on what you're taking and will be able to warn you of potential incompatibilaties between the pills... that is always such a concern when you are under the care of several physicians.

Take care sweetie and be sure to let your doctor know if you have any problems with the pills either not working or causing unpleasant side effects.

Unread 07-18-2003, 09:36 AM
Appointment with surgeon

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the reponses. I will try to bump my surgery date up if the meds don't work for me. You are right that I can't be there for my students if I'm too weak because of rapid weight loss. I am going to the pharmacy today to pick up my meds....and yes, I get everything from the same pharmacy, so it's all in the computer and they keep track of everything I am taking.

I went to that Reglan website that surferbabe gave the link for....yikes! I sure hope I don't have those side effects! I'm the type of person that gets the rare side effects of drugs, so I wouldn't be surprised if I get some of those nasty side effects. If I do, I will not take that drug!

I see my uro on the 30th and I am hoping to get off my bladder meds then. That will take care of the majority of my pills. I'm so tired of pills, but I guess taking them is better than being in misery!

Did I ask for all these problems???? I don't think I did!
Unread 07-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Appointment with surgeon

pasdechat,
I'm glad that you had a good appt with the doctor. That's great that he put you at ease and you were able to open up.

I do know how you probably are feeling about scheduling the surgery around your schedule. I used to be that way, always put my work first. You know what, in the end, the only one who cared was ME. The thanks I got was to get booted out the door at the first opportunity. I realize your situation may be a bit different, but you should put yourself first.

I took Reglan for awhile a few years ago. I didn't have any side effects but it didn't help me much either. I will be ing that the meds will help and you will make thru until you can schedule the surgery.
Unread 07-18-2003, 12:35 PM
Appointment with surgeon

Just thought I'd express my concern too. I hope you can bump up your date because I hope you don't lose too much MORE weight.

Hang in there.

Renee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register