trouble trouble and more trouble | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

trouble trouble and more trouble trouble trouble and more trouble

Unread 07-18-2003, 06:39 PM
trouble trouble and more trouble

Well, it's been a while since i have posted. I think I just need to be reassured that I am going to be ok. There aren't many people around me who at 27 have been through this, so they don't understand..

Quick background. TAH/BSO Jan 20th. Back to work the end of March, pretty uneventful recovery (things went well!) In April I developed an infection where the DR thought was in my incision and gave me amoxicillyn. 2 weeks later, I was back in with the same problem. More amoxicillyn. June 10th, once again same spot, lower left side, right under my incision (not in the incision), a large mass develops, then the "lump" turns red and gets hot, they sent me to the ER, CT with contrast, MRI, xrays revealed nothing (there was a concern of a missing instrument) Go figure! But nothing showed up, so a general surgeon said ok, either one more round of antibiotics for 2x as long and double the dose, or we go in now and do exploritory. Well the consensus amoung the DR's was that another round of antibiotics would do the trick. After 2 weeks things were looking really good, then I had to bump down the dose because it gave me a wicked yeast infection. Now once again I have yet another infection...Same place, the mass is a little larger, and is just now turning red. I have seen my primary care DR who suggested to see my GYN who I will be going to on Monday...Looks like I am headed for exploritory. Either a lap or abdominal...not sure at this point, but since nothing else has worked and we can't exactly leave it there to continue to grow. It's more frusterating than anything else. I won't go into the rest of my sob story...I am just pretty miserable right now and feeling pretty lonely actually.....I don't understand. But I know that hopefully Monday my GYN will come up with something. She has been pretty good for the most part, we just don't understand why 6 months post I have had so much trouble, just when we got my hormones under control finally! (sorta!) LOL

Oh well.....Thanks for listening!

God Bless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2003, 06:46 PM

I have no idea what this might be, but I am interested to hear what your gyn has to say about it. Please keep us posted....I'll be thinking about you
Unread 07-19-2003, 06:32 AM

Lee, Remember me????? I am so sorry hun that you are going through this. I pray you get an answer soon. I'll say a few prayers for you and hope your gyn comes through with a solution. Please keep us informed.....

Emily s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2003, 07:53 AM

Lee

You poor thing??? I am praying they find the cause and for a quick answer for this problem...sending a big and let us know how things work out for you!!!
Unread 07-19-2003, 10:33 AM

Hi Lee I'm sorry to hear you're still having trouble with these lumps forming under your incision. Do you have a copy of your surgery report from the hospital, and does it provide any clues? I'm wondering if you might be one of those rare people whose bodies react to the internal sutures (or staples, depending on which you have; I have both inside me).

It almost sounds like your body is trying to reject something in there, and short of a lost instrument , which it sounds like they're ruling out, the sutures or staples are what jump out at me. I know I have two areas under and next to my incision from my colectomy that are still very tender at almost four months post, and the surgeon told me that's the two spots where I have the most internal sutures.

I hope everything goes well for you Monday and you get the answers you need so that you can finally get better!
s,
-Linda
Unread 07-19-2003, 02:47 PM

Yes Emily!! It's great to hear from you!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers...That is why I came here! It's just been really frusterating not being able to figure it out. The op reports just shows a missing instrument at the end of surgery but numerous xrays were taken even before I left the OR and I had 2 more done before I was discharged. The hosptial said it was probably a miscount from the beginning. I think it could be a suture thing and so does my primary (one of his thoughts anyhow). Like most of you, I just wanted this to be over and for me to be well again so that I could move on. It's been difficult to get back into the gym like I was supposed to because I have been uncomfortable and with a raging infection they don't want me to overdo anything, but my line of work still requires me to stay fit, so I do what I can (which isn't much). Plus my DH will be home and 3 weeks and when he left in Jan to go overseas I was still in bed from surgery...He has yet to see me well and I don't want to be recovering once again from another surgery when he comes home, but I think that is inevitable at this point. I just want to be well. Will just have to wait and see. Again thank you so very very much
Unread 07-19-2003, 04:23 PM

Yikes Lee,

So sorry you are having these complications. I sure hope you get some answers on Monday. LOSING an instrument!

I will be thinking of you.

Renee
Unread 07-20-2003, 09:19 AM

Lee....that sure is a strange thing. I'd request the records from your surgery from the hospital for starters. I got all 31 pages of mine and it makes for some interesting reading!!!!!
When my daughter had her surgery, we found in the report a note of a dropped staple in her .... so ya never know what you may discover reading it.
Make sure you take acidophilus with some yogurt to help try to prevent infections while on anitbs...that helps sometimes.

GOOOOOOD LUCK - FEEL BETTER
Unread 07-20-2003, 09:52 AM

Thank you for your support. Yes this has been a pretty wild ride. That whole "It never happens to me" thing is just crazy! Everyone expects to go in and just have it fixed, including myself. Unfortunately I have seen the devestation not only with my own surgeries but my mother's who is now fully disabled because of it. Not from leaving things, but infections that go unnoticed or treated. I am WAY to young for those problems, and I want to be well for my family! I take care of my parents, my husband, my son and I work full time. I don't take to being unwell lightly!!

I just want everyone else to know to be sure to check with their DR's and to make sure they get copies of EVERYTHING!!!!!!

Take care everyone and thank you again so very much for your kind words!
Unread 07-20-2003, 10:51 AM
Thinking of you

Hi Lee,

I don't have much to add, but that you and your mother are both in my prayers. There has to be a patron saint who could intercede for us (St. Anthony, for you, for sure, the saint who is often called on to help find lost objects ), as my health, and the rest of my life, has also pretty much been devastated by untreated and undertreated infections. I am so sorry you and your mother are suffering.

Love to you, and healing thoughts, today,
Loretta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register