Ovarian Cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cancer Ovarian Cancer

Unread 07-18-2003, 11:35 PM
Ovarian Cancer

Good evening...or morning depending on where you are! I'm new here and found this website one evening while surfing the net.

My grandmother died due to ovarian cancer when she was a young 61. I am now 35 and had a bit of a scare in May when a transvaginal ultrasound revealed that I had a 4cm complex cyst on my right ovary. I went back to the doctor just this past Monday and was told that the cyst had 'resolved.' However, the doctor also said that my ovaries were 'large,' but that I didn't have PCOS, endometriosis, fibroids, or polyps. Well, I was so excited about the news that the cyst was gone that I completely forgot to ask about the 'large' ovaries. I actually didn't think about it until I came home and calmed down. Thing is, I can actually feel the right ovary [it's like a lump or a knot] and I am not a thin woman. The doctor acted as if he didn't think this 'large' ovary was a big deal, but I'm a bit on the worried side. I decided to take matters into my own hands for a change and made an appointment with my PCP to have a CA-125 done. I've been thinking that this this could be all in my mind, that I'm overreacting, or just plain crazy. However, all I can see is my grandmother and the fact that she would have had several years of life if her cancer had been detected earlier. I simply do not want the same thing to happen to me. Okay, now I'm rambling!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Ovarian Cancer

I dont think you are over reacting or "looking for something". From what I have read and seen on here early detection seems to be the key with ovarian cancer (any cancer for that matter) and given your family history I know I would be doing the same (and thinking the same) as you. I have had my own ovarian cancer scare this year being diagnosed with a malignant tumor on my ovary in Jan/03. I am still wondering how that could happen given no family history, but I was lucky .. it was caught early and did not spread. IF there is something to your enlarged ovaries lets pray you caught it early and soon this will all be put behind you.

Please let us know how you make out.
Unread 07-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Ovarian Cancer

You are smart to request a CA125 test and further follow-up. I know it can be hard to see a gynecological oncologist unless another doctor has identified a potentially cancerous situation, but your situation definitely warrants further investigation.

I was 37 when diagnosed -- no family history of any cancer on either side. Always healthy. Nice, happy person. But probably not living the most healthy life.

My younger sister went in and was able to demand and get an ultrasound and CA125 test. My best friend, however, tried to do the same and was turned down. Unless there are symptoms, or a family history (which I think is only related to 10-15% of cases anyway), they simply won't do those tests. Which is why things get caught so late. It's just the worst catch-22. People who want to do the right things . . . can't.

Please let us know how your appointment goes. As you've probably read here, the CA125 number is not always indicative of a cancerous or non-cancerous situation. But do grill your doctor on the enlarged ovaries thing. (I unfortunately have no idea what that might mean.)

Hopefully it's nothing! s!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Ovarian Cancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Palmer
I dont think you are over reacting or "looking for something". From what I have read and seen on here early detection seems to be the key with ovarian cancer (any cancer for that matter) and given your family history I know I would be doing the same (and thinking the same) as you. I have had my own ovarian cancer scare this year being diagnosed with a malignant tumor on my ovary in Jan/03. I am still wondering how that could happen given no family history, but I was lucky .. it was caught early and did not spread. IF there is something to your enlarged ovaries lets pray you caught it early and soon this will all be put behind you.
Thank you very much, Palmer. I appreciate your kind words and thoughts. I've always followed my intuition when it came to matters of my personal health. It's what directed me to the doctor with other health issues I'm currently experiencing, and I won't ignore it now.
Unread 07-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Ovarian Cancer

Good for you! I think you're being quite realistic and very pro-active. Just think how relieved you'll be to know that you're CA 125 count is either right where it should be or if it is high, that you've improved your chances for a complete recovery significantly. We have to be our own advocates.

Good luck and let us know how everything turns out.
Unread 07-19-2003, 11:36 AM
Ovarian Cancer

Quote:
Originally posted by SirenSong
Please let us know how your appointment goes. As you've probably read here, the CA125 number is not always indicative of a cancerous or non-cancerous situation. But do grill your doctor on the enlarged ovaries thing. (I unfortunately have no idea what that might mean.)
Thank you SirenSong for replying! I'm calling the OBGYN to request a copy of my medical records and ultrasound results. The tech who conducted the procedure was more forthcoming than the doctor. When she first saw the cyst, she flat out told me and then quickly said she wasn't supposed to. Both the OBGYN and PCP know of the family history. I don't know or recall if anyone else [outside my father who is being treated for early stage prostate cancer] on either side of my family had or has cancer. Then again, it wasn't something either my father or mother would talk about unless pressed for information. Again, I know what's normal and what isn't. I may be paranoid, but I'm starting to get symptoms that I haven't experienced since I began eating differently and losing some weight [indigestion and bloating after meals]. Thanks again for replying, I truly appreciate it.
Unread 07-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Ovarian Cancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Maureenie
Good for you! I think you're being quite realistic and very pro-active. Just think how relieved you'll be to know that you're CA 125 count is either right where it should be or if it is high, that you've improved your chances for a complete recovery significantly. We have to be our own advocates.
Thank you! Actually, I'm simply tired of being told things are 'all in my mind.' Before January of this year, I didn't have medical insurance so I allowed a lot of illnesses to slide. But now, I refuse to do that. I'm quite stubborn and bull-headed, and I think my doctors are fixin' to learn that in a big way!
Unread 07-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Ovarian Cancer

Hi...

I do not think you are overacting at all and if I had it to do over again, I would have jumped the minute I found that small bump by my belly button.

When lying flat on my back I felt a bump near my belly button. It did not hurt or anything so I thought that I had pulled some muscles from going to the gym or that I had a hernia. Anyway, after a few weeks of it not going away I did call my trusted gynocologist. I was using him for 25 years and he delivered both of my children. He said that it sounded too high up to be gynocological and that if it bothered me to see my regular doc... again, maybe a hernia. Well,, weeks and weeks went by, nothing bothering me UNTIL my stomach started to blow up like I was pregnant. My only other symptom was that bloated feeling and, what I thought, was my asthma acting up.

Went to my regular doc and he immediately sent me for an abdominal and pelvic cat scan. Next thing I know I am see a top oncologist/gynocologist, having all kinds of tests done and a total hysterectomy. The results.... ovarian cancer.

All of this took place starting beginning of April 2002. I finished 6 rounds of chemo and am doing very well today.

Please take everything very seriously. I am sorry that I did not because no one in my family had this kind of cancer. Well, guess it has to start somewhere and now my boys should be screened for prostate cancer which is the male verision of ovarian cancer.

Keep in touch
Rosalie
Unread 07-19-2003, 05:56 PM
Ovarian Cancer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosalie
I do not think you are overacting at all and if I had it to do over again, I would have jumped the minute I found that small bump by my belly button. When lying flat on my back I felt a bump near my belly button. It did not hurt or anything so I thought that I had pulled some muscles from going to the gym or that I had a hernia. Please take everything very seriously. I am sorry that I did not because no one in my family had this kind of cancer. Well, guess it has to start somewhere and now my boys should be screened for prostate cancer which is the male verision of ovarian cancer.
Hi, Rosalie! The lump/knot or whatever it is that I feel is not painful to the touch, but it's there and it's disturbing. The moment I began to feel it [right before I went to the OBGYN w/excruciatingly painful periods], it disturbed me. I just can't accept the fact that it's 'nothing to worry about.' Thanks for responding!!!!
Unread 07-19-2003, 06:58 PM
Ovarian Cancer

s Ardeth

Kudoos to you for being proactive in your own health.
Especially when having vague symptoms and your Gmom's history.
When I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, the center where I am treated gave special guidelines for the females in my family to follow.
yearly ca 125 (not a perfect tool, but a tool just the same)
yearly vaginal ultrasounds
recto-vaginal exam (this is the technique that best palpates ovaries- so don't be timid and do request this)

Furthemore for prevention:
take birth control pills for at least five years
daily aspirin.

Hope this helps.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register