At 5.5 wks found a stitch; & bloated, bloated - (m) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

At 5.5 wks found a stitch; & bloated, bloated - (m) At 5.5 wks found a stitch; & bloated, bloated - (m)

Unread 07-19-2003, 03:55 PM
At 5.5 wks found a stitch; & bloated, bloated - (m)

Is this "normal"? I thought by now that all the stitches would be gone! Anyone else find a loosened stitch this late post-op? I have no idea if it came from my vagina or bladder (could it come from inside the bladder? I did have a bladder tuck. I found the stitch when I peed this morning.) I had some red spotting just hours before I found it (no, I was being a good princess and wasn't overdoing anything!) And afterward I had pink spotting for several hours.

Also, how long does it take to not feel so very bloated and sloshy? I can't rest anything on my belly (like a magazine, or heaven forbid, having my laptop in my lap!) - seems strange since I had a vagihyst.

Thanks for your comments. I really have appreciated everyone's sharing their experiences. It's helped me to be an informed and prepared patient/princess!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2003, 04:05 PM

I had TAH/BSO and the doc told me that they first stitch the top of the vagina closed before they cut you uterus and cervix out to keep any bacteria from flowing into your body cavity. Made sense to me. He said however that as the sutures dissolve I may find a few of them. He called it "spitting them out" which gave me a funny visual. So maybe that's what you are finding. I haven't spit any out yet but I am having trouble because I have had a reaction to the sutures and am still swollen and inflamed and very sore. I wonder if your soreness could be the same thing. He said there wasn't anything they could do but let it run it's course since I've been on antibiotics twice since I came home. He said it takes 6-8 weeks for them to dissolve. You might call your doctor and ask him if that's what it is. Good luck hope you feel better soon.
Unread 07-19-2003, 04:18 PM
Hi Minus Parts!

I probably should have posted that I've been on antibiotics since day one also - 5 Rxs, 4 different antibiotics. I came home with a catheter (THAT was depressing!) and had it for 2 weeks! I have had bladder infections and now e-coli - ugh! (And ya know, I thought I was doing everything right!!) Anyhow, maybe the antibiotics and those blasted infections have something to do with the tenderness on the outside of my un-cut belly too? I really think I felt better at 2 weeks post op than I do now! Thanks again for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2003, 09:41 PM

My surgery was only one day before yours and just yesterday I, too, had bleeding and later on, found two stitches!

I have found myself resting my hands on top of my swollen belly - just like I did near the end of my pregnancies!! This shape of mine is much too reminiscent of those days.

We sure are in sync with our recovery, I wonder what we will do next...?

-Janet
Unread 07-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Nice to meet you!

Hi Quilter 55!

I know exactly what you mean about placing your hands on your belly like being pregnant. Except there's no baby for a reward! I walk around with my hand(s) supporting my bloated belly, just like I did all those years ago. I feel about 6 months or so in size. Do you sometimes feel like the swelly belly is worse some days and some times of day than others?

Thanks for posting and sharing. It's good to know I'm not going crazy or something. I really thought the stitches would have been gone weeks ago! Don't they take them out in 7-10 days when they are outside? Who knew it would take this long inside?

Well at least we are in harmony with our stitches and bloating. We're right on track with each other! Yes, I do wonder what will happen next! Since you're a day ahead, you'll have to go first and then let me know! Debbi
Unread 07-19-2003, 10:42 PM

Hi, had the same things done as you did. When I went in for my six weeks check up the Doc. said everything looked good but he could still see lots of stitches in there. From what I have read in the past many still lose some after a couple months. As far as the belly goes I asked my nurse the same about the tummy, her reply was "the belly gets back in shape when you can do crunches" uck!
Unread 07-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Crunches?

Crunches? You've got to be kidding! I can hardly bend! I "ouch" just thinking about crunches! I agree with you - uck!

Wow! I had no idea stitches could stick around that long! Maybe I'm just used to the kinds that dissolve after a week or so, and the kind that have to be snipped and removed in 7-10 days. So, judging from your experiences, I will expect them to stick around longer.

Thanks so much for sharing! Debbi
Unread 07-20-2003, 10:09 AM

After 4 weeks my doctor gave me the go ahead to do situps becaue he said it would help dissolve the stitches faster. So I hung up the phone and layed right down on the floor and went for it. It didn't hurt while I was doing it so I kept doing it and MAN OH MAN did I ever get sore that night. I guess I did too many. So I'm working up slowly now and I do think it helps with dissolving and of course someday it will show in a flatter, but not as flat as before probably, stomach.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register