anyone tried gabapentin for nerve damage? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone tried gabapentin for nerve damage? anyone tried gabapentin for nerve damage?

Unread 07-21-2003, 07:29 AM
anyone tried gabapentin for nerve damage?

Hi

Having a rough time at mo with pain and reacted badly to the imprimine tricylic they gave me. Even a 5mg dosage a day sedated me beyond copable.

The doc wants me to try the lowest dosage of gabapentin 100mg & build it up weekly. Has anyone tried this? What side effects if any did you get & did it help your pain?
Im hoping as this is an anti seizure med & works different to the tricylic it will react different too. Im getting desperate to control the pain & dont want to up my pain meds to stronger its took me 3 years to get off the tramadols I really dont want to go back wards.

Any experience good or bad would be wecolmed

Thanks Tina xxxxxxxxxxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 08:02 AM

Hi chaeck out the posts for NEURONTIN thats the original name. angie
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:08 AM

Hi Tina2,

I can relate. I have had a hard time on those types of drugs too. I just took Desipramine for 3 1/2 months. The doctor had wanted me to work up to 25mg in the evening. I started at 10mg and made it up to 20 mg for 2 weeks but was so tired on it I could barely function. I went back down to the 10mg which I finally could tolerate somewhat. It took a few weeks to tolerate it to the point where I could function. The only unfortunate part was that it made no difference in my pain level. I was very talkative on it though ;-).

I also tried Neurontin... I think it is the same thing as you were prescribed. It is an anti-seizure med. I have heard that you can either tolerate it or you can't... I could not tolerate it even in very small amounts. I started out on 1/4 of a 100mg pill, then had to go to 1/8 and still could not function. I thought it was a good thing I didn't have seizures because I would be in a real pickle if my life depended on that drug.

I hope it works for you. How long were you on the other drug? It did take me a few weeks to tolerate the 10 mg dose but I eventually got to the point where I could function. Two weeks on the higher dose was about all I could take of that though.

Best wishes!

Sblumen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Hi Tina!

I have just been prescribed Neurontin 100mg also, going up 100mg every 5 days. Honestly, because I had an awful reaction to a medication I was taking over the last month, I have been waiting for it to calm down before starting the Neurontin, so I've only had one dose.

It made me pretty sleepy and also I noticed immediate relief the next day from what is possibly nerve damage from a presacral neurectomy (pain where I really don't want pain). My joints, the reason the Neurontin was prescribed) are still awful but I've only taken one 100mg dose!

Keep us posted,
Good luck with your pain,
With love,
Loretta
Unread 07-22-2003, 08:11 AM

Hi Tina, I am sorry you are having such a hard time finding the right meds. I am going through the same thing right now and am on Neurontin.

I am on 2400mg a day and was on 900mg prior to the up in dosage 2 weeks ago. I felt NOTHING on the 900mg and now that I am on the 2400mg I STILL feel NOTHING. I am taking mine for my sciatic nerve in my lower back and my pain goes from the middle of my back and radiates to my hips and then all the way down the backs of my legs to the bottom of my feel. I am also getting desperate and pray that it just takes time for the Neurontin to work.

I have had no side effects from the drug and am always tired due to lack of sleep from my back anyway so I dont know if it causes me to be more tired than usual but i thing at this point with my 3 to 4 hours of sleep a night it could be a combo of things.

Good luck and I pray it works for you. I have heard alot of people that have had success from it, I just dont think I will be one.

HUGS!!! Pam

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register