Remove cervix, keep cervix--does it matter? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove cervix, keep cervix--does it matter? Remove cervix, keep cervix--does it matter?

Unread 07-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Remove cervix, keep cervix--does it matter?

OK gals......I am still fairly new to all this, but from what I have seen, this is a great community with lots of love and support. So please help me out here. I am scheduled for my (sorry, I am not familiar w/all the abbreviations yet) laparoscopy assisted vaginal hyst, w/ bladder repair. I have been reading some of the pre-op articles, and noticed a big question involves keeping or losing the cervix. Well, I feel kind of stupid, because I don't know what my doctor's plan is!!!!!! How embarassing! Is it normal to assume you are keeping it? or that they are removing it as well? I am 29, and adopted so no history of cancer is known. Ugh, I have no idea...I guess I better do some research so I can ask my doctor at my preop appt huh?? Did anybody else out there not have a clue about it like me?? haha......oh jeez, this is so nerveracking!
oh, one other question....I am thinking that this is pretty major surgery, yet everyone around me (family, friends etc) don't seem to be making a big deal out of it...am I being overly sensitive, or should I expect a little more concern?? ;0) Thanks sisters for any input or insight you may want to pass my way!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 06:22 PM

((((shimes01))))
It IS major surgery. You can expect a healing period of up to 8 weeks- but from some things I have read, the healing can take up to a year. I don't know all the threads, but I am sure someone will post with important info for you to give to your family.

Knowledge IS power! The more you know what is going on, the better you will feel about things.

Take Care!

Lamb and Lion
Unread 07-21-2003, 06:37 PM

I am having a partial possible TAH on the 4th of August...I too have been doing my research...and I talked to my doctor again today because I was confused about some stuff.

I specifically asked him about the cervix.....he told me that in the past they sometimes left the cervix...but they no longer do that anymore....he said it gets removed along w/the uterus. The reason he gave me is because

1) the cervix has no use..not even for sexual purposes
2) they remove it to eliminate any possibilities for cervical cancer

I dont now if every doc is different...but this is what I have been told....hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2003, 06:46 PM
Major surgery

This is major surgery, but I had the opposite problem, my friends and family were concerned about it and yet my recovery went so well I was out and about doing a lot about 2 weeks post-op! Lol...they kept telling me to slow down, but I felt GREAT! My recovery was soooooooo easy and wonderful!

As for the cervix, it seems to be a controversial issue, so I don't want to step on any toes here. I decided with my doc to keep mine. I did this because it does serve a purpose of helping to keep things in place years later...for some it is not ever an issue.

It makes no difference regarding sex or the success of your surgery.

Now, with me, if endo had been found on the cervix it would have come out, but it was fine and left in there. Also, I ran the risk of mini-periods because of the cervix remaining, but that didn't happen. So, I'm glad I left it there, but I could be just as happy if it were taken out. It's just whatever you decide for yourself. Don't be shy to ask your doctor what he/she thinks. They can help you with your decision. Fortunately it's fine either way so there's no wrong decision to make here. If you do have it out please be sure to still get a pap smear done because there is a vaginal cancer that you'd still need to be tested for.

As for the people not 'getting it' when it comes to this surgery, just start talking about the recovery time involved and the post-op restrictions that your doctor will require of you...and the ones listed here. If you've got a significant other that will be helping you with recovery be sure he/she goes to the pre-op appointment with you and hears all the details...that will shock some reality into them!

Make use of this board...it was an absolutely wonderful thing for me during my pre-op time.

And the waiting truly is the worst...I'm sooooooo happy I had my hyster...I haven't felt this good in years...and NO MORE PERIODS!

Take care hystersister!

Rita
Unread 07-21-2003, 07:28 PM
remove cervix?

Hi:

Before surgery this is something that concerned me. Would it affect my sex life?

I'm happy to say that the removal has had no effect at all! In fact, sex just keeps getting better and better each time. It's hard to imagine but it really is ok and the feelings are the same as before if not better.

I would suggest you just let the doctor do what is necessary and not worry about it.

Good luck!
Unread 07-21-2003, 08:25 PM

I had a TVH on 7-9. From talking to friends, I thought I wanted to keep my cervix, but my Dr explained to me that to remove the uterus vaginally, he had to take the cervix too. He convinced me that there really is no reason to keep it, and that a vaginal surgery rather than an abdominal one would make recovery MUCH smoother. I might be totally wrong but I assume that with a LAVH, since the uterus is removed vaginally then the cervix would need to go too.

Since I am only 12 days post op I can't tell you if it makes a difference or not. All I can say is that my DH talked to my Dr. about it as well, and he was also convinced that it won't be a problem.
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:22 PM

From what I know I think cuzdeedee is right. If you have anything removed through vagina they have to remove cervix. I had TAH (abdominal--dr wanted to be able to see insides) and had cervix removed. And don't be embarrassed because you really would be surprised at how much we don't know. For me I didn't want to know alot of stuff. I trusted my dr and figured he knew what was best. BUT THIS IS FOR ME ONLY. We are all so different and I just didn't want to stress out about anything else. I found that on just about every issue there are good points and bad points. You are the only one to make the decision. I think one reason many drs remove cervix is because of cancer. I was afraid to have mine removed so that was one reason I didn't want to discuss the issue. Actually thought sex would be different. It makes no difference. Sex is just as good after as before (actually better).

So I would suggest you ask dr about it if it really concerns you. See why he is wanting to remove. I also think that the ladies who have vaginal hysters seem to have an easier recovery. You still have to remember they are messing around alot inside and even if you feel great you need to rest. If you realize how much is involved with the surgery you would appreciate you need the rest. I never really knew till after. And I wanted the rest (well for the first two weeks at least).

Good luck with your surgery. Read read read. There is much to learn here. And you are certainly not alone in your not knowing stuff

Tricia
Unread 07-21-2003, 09:45 PM

I really am with you on this one. My surg date is July 28th, and I just turned 30 on May 17. Since we are so young, what they remove can mean a great deal later on. I would suggest looking for links on your specific medical problem. That may have an effect on whether or not to keep the cervix, and this site has a wealth of great information. I would also suggest having a good heart-to-heart with your doc. For me, I feel more in control knowing how they doctors intend to approach my surgery. Good luck and keep your chin up!
Unread 07-21-2003, 10:14 PM

As stated by the other gals above, you may not be able to keep your cervix with the particular procedure you are going through. I personally opted to keep my cervix, even though I had one bad pap smear with one biopsy. The problem had gone away. I feel very comfortable in the area up there after the TAH, and am glad I chose to keep it. I know nothing is supposed to go inside for six weeks, but I just had to do a quickie feel up there (plus I do wash a little up there) just to see if things felt normal, and they sure do! No stitches, no granuloma, or problems in that area. For me it is a comfort thing, along with the hope of keeping everything else in place as I age. I actually am one of those who has enjoyed having my cervix bumped during intercourse, and I didn't want to lose that! I also have somewhat of a short vaginal canal, and with a bit of vulvar distrophy, wasn't too sure about re-stretching that baby back out if any stitches would have shortened it any further. My doc at least listened to me very well in that area, if not a few other areas!!

Do some web searching, as you are, and try to feel comfortable with talking to many others, including doctors, nurses, and friends and gals on this site who have had it done. I personally made up a "pros" & "cons" list for myself to help me make my own decision. DH had a little input... uhhh, very little tho.. seems like they can't relate very well. He had told me, "I just can't tell you, honey, because I don't know what it feels like for you." Oh well, at least he tried!!!

Hugs,
Lisa
Unread 07-22-2003, 12:09 AM

I had an LAVH three and a half weeks ago. My dr said that and LAVH requires removal of the cervix.

I can report that removal of the cervix has no impact on sex enjoyment (it's better if anything).

An LAVH does give you a faster recovery than an abdominal procedure but it's a longer general anaesthetic and you've still had lots done inside. It IS major surgery.

I felt lots better around two weeks, turned a real corner at three weeks but I'm still off work for another three weeks and I need them because I get tired.

Pain control was an issue for the first two weeks but much better in week 3 and pretty good now - just late in the day and if I've done too much.

My dr has encouraged me to walk, drive when I want to, cook if I want to (but only if), do anything I want providing it doesn't hurt including having lunch with my friends (they just needed to stop telling jokes that made me laugh). His express orders were to "convalesce" - don't plan to do things around the house and have a nap every afternoon.

Good luck!

Charlotte
LAVH 6/25/03 endo, fibroids and ovarian cysts (and that's more than enough!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register