no cervix = no more smears? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

no cervix = no more smears? no cervix = no more smears?

Unread 07-22-2003, 06:48 PM
no cervix = no more smears?

I had a total hysterectomy 7 weeks ago because of cervical cancer. I'm still waiting for the biopsy reports (will ring tomorrow to put mind at ease) but as i was being discharged my surgeon said that i would no longer need smear tests if the results were clear. I seem to remember that on earlier posts someone mentioned that even if a cervix was removed you still had to go for vault smears to check for cell changes. When i mentioned it to the surgeon (a highly qualified and experienced man in his field), he told me it was unnecessary.
Second opinions, please!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2003, 06:50 PM

i had a total hyst this past april. im already scheduled for a pap in sept. by my surgean and my regular gyn told me to make surei still get paps done once a year. my close friend had a hyst many years ago and her gyn also emphaszises getting a yearly pap.
Unread 07-22-2003, 06:56 PM
thanks for the reply

I think i'll ask my doctor what she thinks as well. Perhaps it's just not normally done in the UK. My cervix jumped to CIN 3 very quickly for the second time (hence the op) and i don't feel comfortable leaving the slightest possibility that anything else could start brewing. Too much to lose!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2003, 08:01 PM

I just went today for my6 week post op. I had early stage endometrial cancer and my gyn wants to see me every 3 months the first year stated he still needs to do a pelvic exam. I 've come this far I'll keep those appointments. All doctors are different pursue what you think is right
Unread 07-22-2003, 09:46 PM
schmears

Just had my checkup and my GYN recommends a pap smear every 2 years (without a cervix) unless you have a history of problem pap smears, than yearly. Hope that helps.

Kos
TAH, rectocele repair, bladder sling
Unread 07-22-2003, 11:47 PM

My surgeon recommended a pap smear every year. I also had a TAH.
Unread 07-23-2003, 12:04 AM

When I said to my dr "At least I won't have to come for annual exams anymore," his reply was "Yes, you will. You have that dysplasia in your breast that needs to be checked yearly, and you need a pap every year."

I was confused, but he said that because of my recurring CIN III, I will need to be checked in 3 months after surgery, and if I am clear, again in 6 months, and if I am clear I can go to once a year. They do a vaginal check of the cells. Sometimes if you have recurring problems with dysplasia and/or cancer of the cervix, it shows up in the vagina once the cervix is gone.

For your health, I would get checked - no matter what this one doctor said.
Unread 07-23-2003, 12:09 AM

My Dr highly recommends yearly visits because at that time I can have my mammogram done and get the results also he had a patient who had no history of abnormal paps, but had a hysterctomy. And she came in to see him three years after her hysterectomy. He said let's do a pap and she had vaginal cancer. So, he said it's a good idea to continue with them. I feel better going in for that once a year check up and also, have had them for so long it doesn't bother me to keep going in.
Unread 07-23-2003, 07:25 AM
My Mom's Experience. . . .

I kept my cervix, but even if it had been removed I'd still go in to get a pap yearly. Here's why:

My mom had a TAH due to fibroids when she was 38 years old. She was told no need for yearly paps since she had no cervix. So she also skipped the yearly exams - felt good, had kept ovaries, no sign of menopause, etc. etc.

13 years later she started having some faint spotting, so she went to see a GYN. He did a pap which came back positive for skin cancer at the scar site where her cervix had been! The tumor was advanced and had attached itself to her pelvic bone. The docs did not think they could save her becuase they could not surgically remove the cancer.

To make a long story short, she had what was experimental radiation treatments at the time and she did beat the cancer!!!!!! Praise the Lord!!!!!!!

Moral of this story: Get the paps because they can detect more than just "cervical" cancer.
Unread 07-23-2003, 09:32 AM
pap

Hi;I just wanted to tell you that I had a TAH and when I left the hospital my gyn. said I only had to have pap tests every 5 years or so. I have never had a bad result from a pap test before. When I went for my 6 week check-up post op, she informed me that my cervix was filled with pre cancer cells and she couldn't understand how they had gone undected all that time. She told me how lucky I was that I had the hysterectomy and that now I will have to come in every year for a pap test to make sure no other cells begin to change in the future. Boy did that throw me for a loop. Needless to say I was terrified and am now wondering what good will the pap test be if it couldn't tell in the first place what was going on down there, how can I rely on it for the future?She is certain that they have removed all the "bad" cells even though they weren't looking for any problem there.I am a little worried.
Definetly get your pap tests done regularly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register