Almost back to normal :) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost back to normal :) Almost back to normal :)

Unread 07-22-2003, 08:25 PM
Almost back to normal :)

Hi all,

Well, I am wearing shorts!!! :dance2: Today I got my urethral foley taken out and had my VCUG done.. NO LEAKS!!

So now I have the other foley, but it's capped. They didn't make me urinate though.. and I still haven't gone.. Every time I think I have to go and sit on the toilet, nothing happens. Can anyone tell me what it's like? LOL It's like I forgot how to pee!!!

I keep feeling what I thought were bladder spasms.. and now that I'm off the ditropan I am feeling all kinds of weird sensations "down there."

Anyway, if anyone can fill me in on what to expect, I would appreciate it!

z,
Maddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2003, 10:30 PM
(((( maddy ))))

If you still have the supra cath in, you very well may be experiencing bladder spasms... Mine did not relent until that darn tube was out. I had trouble peeing in the beginning, but all seemed to get better with time. I hope they showed you how to use that cath if you have to.... I'm glad to hear your test went well and you have no leaks... Wooooo Hooooo for you!!!! Keep up the good work.... Take care and enjoy your beautiful place in the world... You are almost home free girl.
Unread 07-23-2003, 05:13 AM
WOO HOO

Hi Maddy

Well congrats sweetie!!! Great News Hope you have been able to pee on your own... for me it was very strange to have to sit and pee after cath's were out- I didn't have mine capped, but you might be having bladder spasms.. I would just try and sit and maybe run your hand under some water and you will go...

I actually thought I forgot how to pee but it all just started to work on its own and I know as you do what a relief that is!!! So glad you are back in your shorts and don't be surprised if you still have the feeling that the foley is still there- that took a week or so to go away for me.. Well here is to a job well done and to forever being leak free!!!! I hope you go out and celebrate : the new you!!!!

Thinking of you. keep us posted and mucho s......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2003, 09:06 AM
YIPEE!!!

Aloha Maddy,

I'm so glad you have NO leaks! I remember it was hard to pee too...I wasn't allowed to pee until my SP came out. But when that day FINALLY came the uro filled my bladder (before taking SP out) and I was able to "go."

You must feel great in shorts. Being in Hawaii and NOT in shorts must have been torture!

Your're on the road to recovery but remember it takes time....listen to your body. It has gone through a lot.

I'm sooooo happy for you!!!!!

Renee
Unread 07-23-2003, 09:13 AM

Hi, Maddy,

I am so glad that you don't have any moore leaks. Do you still have supra ? Did it hurt to remove foley ?
I have four more weeks before my surgery . So by that time you are going to go back to normal life.
Maddy, did you need to take antibiotics one week prior to surgery ?

Maria
Unread 07-23-2003, 11:35 AM

Maddy,
That's great that you had no leaks! Woohoo! I've never had bladder surgery, but do know that after the surgeries I did have I always had problems urinating for a few days. I did have a bladder test last year where they fill your bladder and than measure your ouput and I could NOT go. The doc's nurse gave me a tip, don't laugh, but she said to wiggle your toes and pretend your blowing thru a straw. It really did help. I realize your situtation may be different, but you might want to give it a try.

Unread 07-23-2003, 12:01 PM
~*~Aloha Everyone~*~

Hi and thanks for the overwhelming "cheers." I finally did go and have gone lots since! They were going to have me go on the xray table, but decided against it. They just took some hardcopies of the xrays. I had some errands to do afterwards, so I still had the bladder bag attached to the SP. I was too apprehensive to just cap it before I got home!

Maria ~ it does not hurt to get the foley out. I've had it taken out and changed lots of times. They just have to deflate the balloon and then it just "slides" out! My Drs wanted me to be on antibiotics the entire time after the surgery and while I have both caths in. I am still on them. I am supposed to measure the amount that still comes out of the SP after I "go." It's only been about 20cc. I am probably going to have the SP taken out Friday morning (if all goes well).

Back to the urinating. I forgot who asked me if it hurt to go... The very first time it DID hurt, but only towards the end. But it was more of a discomfort and it became less and less uncomfortable afterwards. I am still draining about 20cc out of the SP cath even after I pee.

Another thing that is weird.. I guess becaue I have learned to "listen" or "feel" what's going on in my bladder... I can feel it filling up with fluids.. And maybe because the SP is still there, I can actually feel the balloon "flutter." Very strange sensation. But everything went well throughout the night. I found out that there were about 50cc more remaining after I peed during the night. I don't know why I am not able to void it completely on my own. Does anyone?

Anyway... thanks so much for all you guys' help and support and prayers!! I couldn't have done it without you!!!!

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-23-2003, 12:27 PM

Dear Maddy,

And I want to thank you for your optimistic attitude, you give me so much strenght ( spelling ?). By the way , sorry for my horroble spelling- I am russian, so I gues I have an excuse...

Anyway, I adore you and other fistula sisters for great attitude, for not loosing the sence of humor when most of ordinary people would just go totaly nuts.

Maria
Unread 07-23-2003, 12:40 PM
Hi Maria,

You wrote:

"... thank you for your optimistic attitude, you give me so much strenght ( spelling ?). By the way , sorry for my horroble spelling- I am russian, so I gues I have an excuse...

Anyway, I adore you and other fistula sisters for great attitude, for not loosing the sence of humor when most of ordinary people would just go totaly nuts. "

You are SO welcome!

Hey, you have to have an "upbeat" attitude, otherwise you WILL go nuts! I think laughter is very important. In fact, I think it's healing to the soul.

z,
Maddy
Unread 07-23-2003, 01:13 PM

Maddy,

I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. I do have a question for you and the other sisters, too....

I'm confused. You are able to go pee with the SP catheter in? I came home last night from my fistula repair and I have a SP cath only. But I am unable to pee normally. Let me take that back... I did go while at the castle, but it was because the bag was full and there was nowhere else for it to go.

Good luck with your appointment on Friday. I hope the SP comes out and you get back to a normal life!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register