TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy) TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy)

Unread 07-24-2003, 11:48 PM
TAH Abdominal Pains

Hi

I am 38 yrs old . After giving birth to my second daughter who is now 3 , i had what is called Placenta Acreta( ie where the placenta adheres to the uterus and cannot seperate, doctor pulls
on it which in turn made me nearly bleed to death. Hence an emergency TAH (Total Adominal Hysterectomy) after i had 18 units of blood (lost twice my body weight in blood). Now what i am experiencing is very painful pains in abdomin which makes me want to go to the loo they are very much like labour pains, probably happens every month ,to three months apart.
They say that they left the ovaries in so i guess i have to believe
them. ( don't know why cause they are of no use to me).
Has anyone had this happen to them would love to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2003, 05:08 AM
TAH (Total Abdominal Hysterectomy)

Hi Missy,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters,

I'm sorry that you have been in pain. I found your post in our pre-op forum, but since your hyst was about 3 years ago, I felt that you'd receive better information and support from the ladies here on The Road Less Traveled.

I'm glad that you found Hyster Sisters.

's
Unread 07-25-2003, 06:19 AM

Hi there Missy

I can't help you with any answers, but just wanted to suggest that you post this question in the forum titled "The Road Less Travelled". There are heaps of ladies who have had different problems who post/read that forum and you are more likely to get some responses there. Unfortunately, only us downunder girls frequent this forum.

I hope someone on the "Road" may be able to help you.

Hugs and regards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2003, 07:12 AM

Hi,

My Aunt had the same thing happen. She had both placenta previa and placenta accreta. She too almost died from the blood loss and had about 16 pints of blood and several untis of plasma. The doctors had already done a c-section due to the placenta previa so after several hours of getting no where trying to control the bleeding they did a hysterectomy. She was awake the entire time as she had had a spinal for the c-section. They were worried she was going to have post traumatic stress syndrome from everything that happened.

They left her ovaries as she was 39 years old. Your ovaries are important body parts. Obviously you can live without them but doctors will leave them if possible, especially when you are young as they produce estrogen, progesterone, and I think some testosterone that helps the rest of your body stay well. Without your ovaries you would be in complete menopause.

You should consult your doctor about the pain you are having.

Hope you feel better soon.

SBlumen
Unread 07-25-2003, 08:39 AM

Hi Missy and welcome to Hystersisters

While I never experienced the problems that led to your hysterectomy, I had a TVH (vaginal hysterectomy) and kept my ovaries. As explained above, your ovaries as essential organs that produce hormones that are good for your eyes, your skin and countless other things. Even after natural menopause, your ovaries continue to produce these hormones in minute quantities. It is much easier to supplement your hormones than to replace them entirely. That's why doctors, when they find our ovaries to be healthy, will usually opt to keep them.

One thing I've noticed, since my hyst, is that the IBS (irritable bowel syndrom) problems that have always been a part of my life have increased tremendously. Not only do I have to deal with constipation, I now find that the constipation/diarrhea cycle is much worse and now have bowel spasms, that tend to be cyclic, that cause tremendous pain in my lower right abs.

While I don't know what could be causing the pains you're experiencing, I do know that you should mention these to your doctors. Relief is usually available, providing we ask for it.

Sending lots of healing s your way and hoping that you feel better real soon. Please let us know how you're doing.
Unread 07-25-2003, 02:43 PM

Hi Buckkie

Thanx i am new to this and have not a clue where to post it!!!!!

Unread 07-25-2003, 07:28 PM
abd pain

Missy,

I'm sorry you are going through this pain now. Can you be more specific if it occurs around your meals, menstrual periods, activities to your doctor, so he/she can better help you.

I am going through a painful time myself, and can relate to the way you describe your pain. I am having problems with my ovaries(cysts) and uterus(adenomyosis) in addition to having a history of what they have diagnosed IBS and food allergies.

A gallbladder scan the other day brought on that familiar pain that I have after eating, and about how you described. One thing different; my abdomen gets tight on it's own as the cramps cause the pain. I tend to use the Lamaze techniques I used for one of my natural childbirths ( only the very first one)..it feels just llike labor and the urge to 'go' is strong, but I don't necessarily have to go. My gallbladder symtoms turned out to be labeled mild, but my internist is recommening me to a surgeon after what I go through when I eat, especially foods that have any amount of fat.

Seeing your doc and being as specific as you can will help the doc decide what to do. Hope it's something not too tough.

Blessings,
Unread 07-27-2003, 08:17 AM

Missy,

I wanted to send s and your way, what a very hard time you had after the birth of your DD(dear daughter). I haven't had the experience you have had but maybe another road dweller will come along soon that has. I would recommend you go back to your DR to try and get some answers to your pain. As you will see if you go through this message board there are ladies that experience pain after their hyst from many different causes. My pain is associated with adhesions, you can do a search on this site too for symptoms, types of difficulties, etc by clicking on the word search at the top of the page and entering a keyword. I am also sending you this link to an adhesion site(one of many) www.adhesions.org (just click on it to open site) it was helpful to me during my search for answers to my pain and informative when needing to make future decision on treatment.

In regards to your ovaries, they are still very important to you dear, especially at your young age. You can visit the hormone jungle www.hormonejungle.com which is part of this site to see some of the issues ladies have with hormone replacement which could be necessary if you didn't retain your ovaries. Although, there are ladies that go without hormone replacement, the ovaries are our natural way of keeping certain important chemicals in balance for our wonderful female bodies.

I hope you find some answers to what you are going through real soon, I would also recommend a second opinion DR. I have found that having more than one medical opinion on my search to wellness has been very informative and helpful.

Lots of s,
lenee
Unread 07-28-2003, 02:33 AM

Hi Lenee

Thankyou so much for your reply and for the web sites,i will check them out . It was a horrifying experience and as i have heard it has only happened to one other lady before and it was the same hospital.

Luv and

Take Care

Missy
Unread 07-29-2003, 03:51 AM

Hi SBlumen

Believe me i know just what your aunt went through. I also had plasma,my baby girl (Mia) was also posterior so they had to use
vaccum extract and then the placenta acreta happened. All this and i only had gas to relieve the pain. We sought legal advice
and i was sent to a psyhcologist who diagnosed me with " "adjustment disorder with depressed mood". I am not taking anything for it i am just taking one day at a time. How is your aunt doing i hope she is well ?

Luv and s to you both and thankyou for caring.
Take Care

Missy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register