Severe Dysplasia and Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Severe Dysplasia and Hysterectomy Severe Dysplasia and Hysterectomy

Unread 07-25-2003, 07:38 AM
Severe Dysplasia and Hysterectomy

I'm having a hard time deciding whether to have a cone biopsy or to have a hysterectomy.

I had a LEEP in February for moderate to severe dysplasia and thought the problem would be taken care of. My first follow-up paps test showed abnormal glandular cells of the cervix. The biopsy's were positive for severe dysplasia.

My doctor has given me the choice of having a cone biopsy or a hysterectomy. He said that I'm one step away from the cells becoming cancerous, but that the cone biopsy may solve the problem. If I test positive again for dysplasia, he will definately want to do a hysterectomy.

I'm not sure what to do. Part of me is leaning toward taking care of the problem now completely with a hysterectomy and only going through one procedure. I don't want to risk developing invasive cancer. I would appreciate any help or experiences that you have to share.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2003, 08:34 AM

Michelej,

I know exactly what you are going through and all that I can tell you is that for me, the hysterectomy was the right choice. I had a Leep in 2001 for CINIII, and by Feb 2003 it was back and showed CIS. I decided not to have the cone, although it was offered to me simply because I was scared that she wouldn't be able to get clear margins. I was told that dysplasia has about a 1% reoccurance rate after a hysterectomy and I was satisfied with that information. I am 8 weeks post-op and have absolutely no regrets and more peace of mind than I have had in years.
I will keep you in my ers
Best of luck in whatever you decide,
Future Teach
Unread 07-25-2003, 03:24 PM

I understand what you are going through. For the last 3 years I have been visiting the doctor every 6 months only to watch my CIN level go from 1 to 3. Now I meet with the surgeon on Thurs. to schedule the hyster. It's a terrifing wait every time to see if it's cancer yet. I like my chances without all those parts, they can take mine!I can live without aunt flo as long as I get to live!!

Good luck making your decision, it's not an easy one.

Torey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register