feeling very strange..... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling very strange..... feeling very strange.....

Unread 07-25-2003, 10:36 PM
feeling very strange.....

Scheduled for surgery on the 29th. Everything looks great, I'm healthy, ready, feel great about the decision to do this, was just ok'ed for an On-Q pump instead of the narcotics for pain. So why am I feeling so anxious? Trying to take care of everything (including windows and blinds) before Tuesday. Even updating my will and signed up for mortgage protection. Feel like my life may be ending when I know it will really be a new beginning. Just can't shake these strange feelings right now. Any suggestions from the pro's? Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2003, 06:03 AM

Hi marcella --

Hey, you're only human. It's totally normal to be anxious when facing something like this surgery. Sounds to me like you're doing all the right things (getting prepared and ready) and staying busy (like you're doing with the windows and the blinds) is the smartest thing you can do. Some anxiety is bound to happen anyway.

Before my surgery I tried to stay busy and keep my mind on other things. Sometimes it helped and sometimes it didn't..........there were still moments of worry........it's gonna happen.........but try not to let it get to you. It sounds to me like you've got it together very well.

Best of luck to you -- I hope all goes well with your surgery and that you have an easy and uncomplicated recovery!!

Ann
TAH/BSO 1/5/01
Unread 07-26-2003, 06:15 AM
Hello

Well to start I have been there done that. My anxiety was very intense I had my melt downs. I was more worried about what if something happens what would happen to my boys. Who would help my Dh. I made sure the house was cleaned throughly. Made lists for my Dh with medications to give to my son (he has a form of Autism) I even made a Cd for the boys to listen to with our nightly prayer and songs we sang. I felt exactly like you are feeling. Please know it is normal to feel overwhelmed. My doctor started me on Celexa a couple months prior due to I have a anxiety disorder and he felt it would help with the surgery. It did somewhat and I am still taking it for a few more months, but I was still very nervous. Take a deep breath and keep busy , and know it will be over soon and you will be well on your way to recovery. I wish you the best and looking forward to hearing how you are doing after your surgery. (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Loreine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2003, 07:29 AM

marcella..my prayers are with u...i've had other surgeries before and i know the feeling!.....the waiting is truly the worst part, as our imaginations run wild with us at this time, but you will be FINE!!!...)....may i ask you, what is an on-q pump? i have a bladder disease and may need a different kind of pain management than some ladies.......i love this verse...its a comfort when waiting and worrying..."i know the plans i have for you, plans to prosper and not harm you, to give you a future and a hope"....Gods in control....hang in there...Katie
Unread 07-26-2003, 09:06 AM

Oh....how well I remember. I am one who prepares like yourself and through life (if I am going to panic) will do it at the last moment.

Which is exactly what happened. I cleaned and cleaned and shopped and shopped and listed and relisted as if I had the cleaning burst you have right before you go into labor.

But it may have been nervous energy. I think it is natural when we are facing something so serious to have a point where we get banged with realisim and the idea of major surgery sets in. And so we set our life in order.

I will never forget those last few days before surgery. If it had not been for these forums I surely would have totally panicked.

I had a wonderful pre-op nurse who listened to my "fears".....she told me about preparing for surgery through meditation and told me that the anesthiologists at my particular hospital are more than willing to play "recovery and healing music" and chant positive reinforcements while one is under surgery in OR.......I went with all three of these options......I have to tell you that I was walking the halls one hour after getting out of recovery ......(assisted of course)....(the docs and nurses on the floor sang "STAR OF THE DAY WHO WILL IT BE)..which made me laugh so hard and I was pillowless.....and when I woke from anesthiesa I did so with a very positive attitude....It's just a thought......

My prayers go out to you.......God Speed with Your Recovery.....and Remember that the greatest power is that of the mind......

Big Hugs to You,
Unread 07-26-2003, 01:37 PM

Thank you all, so very much!! I am feeling so much better knowing what I am feeling is normal for what is coming up. I even decided to keep a journal of this journey. ((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) to all of you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register