Fear Factor | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Fear Factor

Im not sure where to begin. I have been reading this web site since last Aug. when my Dr. told me I should have a hysterectomy.
I was schelduled for Jan. then I freaked out and canceled it. I went back to talk to my doctor and he said that for adenomyosis and mild prolapse that hysterectomy is the only cure. We reschelduled for March 2003. So the first thing I did was come home get on the web and read alot of scary things......I will be having a TVH keep OV. No cervix. He called me in to have the pre-op blood work and he could tell I was so freaked out about the surgery he then canceled it saying I needed to get a 2nd oppinion. He doesnt want me to be unsure. SO this is my problem. I have horrible messy nasty vicious periods and have been anemic for 4yrs taking over the counter iron has not helped at ALL> So during my periods I say okay im ready then when its over I say well guess thats not as bad as losing my sex drive crying all the time and hot flashes and all the other horrible things ive read. My aunt says will its elective surgery who wants that. My doctor says true but its a quality of life issue and I have to decide. He says with the prolapse and my uterus getting larger and larger its just a matter of time. ..........I got a second opinion and told this dr. im only 33. He said it doesnt matter that after having kids some women get prolapse and adenomyosis at even younger ages and have to have a hyst. Well I feel like im swimming in circles. Any advice? Oh he says with my uterus getting larger he may not be able to do a VH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2003, 08:52 AM
Fear Factor

Sweetie, The doctor is right .......only a hyst can really cure adenomyosis. I had an LAVH for adeno over 2 years ago and am doing fine. Of course, I was alot older than you whenI had mine(48) but I still questioned it all. But the pain and bleeding became so unbearable that relief was all I cared about. I realize there is alot to digest when it comes to this surgery and not all results are positive. But if you think about it, once most ladies surgeries and recoveries are over they move on from this site to better lives. The majority of hysts go well! This is a decision that only you and your doctor can make. It is about quality of life and since you are battling anemia, this makes more sense. Please keep reading all you can here and know that only a small percentage of women end up with serious problems. I wish you luck with your decision and good luck with the surgery if you decide to go ahead with it.

Emily s
Unread 07-27-2003, 09:03 AM
Fear Factor

Txsummer~

While the decision is ultimately yours you have had two dr's tell you basicly the same thing. Not everyone has horrible hot flashes or night sweats. Only you know what quality of life you want, for me I would like to be pain and flow free. I am 38, never had my own child and I am having a total abdominal hysterectomy, everything is coming out. I don't want to have to go back, down the road to have something else removed. To me the possibility of life without feeling like I have a lead weight in my body is truely worth whatever recovery and possible menopause/HRT effects I will have.

I wish you luck and comfort in making your decision. Let us know how you are doing and if you have any questions.

Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Fear Factor

Hi Txsummer,

Many ladies struggle with the decision to have a hyst when it is being done as elective surgery, rather than life-saving surgery (such as for cancer). So you are not alone there. Unfortunately, adenomyosis cannot be "cured" by anything other than a hyst, from all that I have read about it. Adeno is very hard to diagnose pre-hyst ... many ladies don't even know for sure if they have it until after their hysts when the pathology report comes back. Sometimes adeno is diagnosed when an MRI is done ... is that how you were diagnosed?

I wish I could offer other alternatives for you. At the top of this forum we have links to a number of other websites that have great information for ladies with prolapse, PCOS, fibroids and several other reproductive system problems. You might want to review the information on prolapse, in particular. Here is a link to the list of other website links:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...p?s=&forumid=4

I know a hyst is very frightening ... yes, it is major surgery and none of us really knows for certain what life will be like after surgery. However, most ladies do very well. I truly hope that you will be able to find peace with whatever treatment option you ultimately choose. Sending hugs your way.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register