surgery tues 29th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery tues 29th surgery tues 29th

Unread 07-27-2003, 09:56 PM
surgery tues 29th

Well here I am scheduled for the 29th for a TAH/BSO and suddenly I am having the last minute total jitters and questioning everything. I can't seem to even think straight.

My gyn/onc did not give me any instructions for Monday except not to eat or drink anything after midnight. I am quetsioning why I don't have stop eating earlier or prepare in any other way. Is this normal? Would I be better off if I ate really light or didn't eat at all? How did others prepare?

I hate to feel any doubt about my gyn-onc, but I am wondering what others were advised?

Thanks in advance for any insight, comments, etc.

Lorit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-27-2003, 11:04 PM
surgery tues 29th

I hope your surgery goes well. Last minute jitters and second guessing is very normal. I think the no eating or drinking is pretty usual.
Unread 07-27-2003, 11:20 PM
I think everyone gets nervous before

surgery. I couldn't eat or drink anything either. That is normal. Good good luck - I will be thinking and praying for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2003, 06:56 AM
surgery tues 29th

Hiya

Have a light evening meal then do as your dr has instructed and then you shouldnt feel nauseous from the anaesthetic. Good luck to you

Unread 07-28-2003, 07:12 AM
Same instructions

Lorit, I was given same simple instructions before my TAH / BSO 13 years ago. Was given a fleet enema in the hospital shortly before surgery. No bowel prep at home the day / evening before.

Don't worry about it. You'll sleep through the whole thing. I had no pain nor problems during or after surgery.

Good luck.

Mary D.
Unread 07-28-2003, 07:53 AM
surgery tues 29th

there aren't too many things to do before,
I was told no eating or drinking after midnight.
I had to have an enema the night before.
that's about it.

best wishes for your surgery and recovery!
Cheryl
Unread 07-28-2003, 08:15 AM
surgery tues 29th

's Lori!

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. I hope you have an easy recovery. Remember--follow those doctor's orders!

The no eating or drinking after midnight is a pretty typical pre-surgical instruction. It was tough for me--my surgery was not until 4 in the afternoon, so I had many hours without food or drink. I did eat lightly the night before--just a bowl of oatmeal (which I find comforting and easy on the stomach), but my doc did not instruct me to do so.

Come back when you're feeling up to it and let us know how things go! You're going to look great in that crown !
Unread 07-28-2003, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone

Thankyou for all the replys. I feel a little calmer today. I'll be back as soon as I can. Love, Lorit
Unread 07-28-2003, 09:30 AM
surgery tues 29th

Lorit,

Two days before my surgery, my doctor's instructions were to take Fleet (a really effective laxative). He recommended that I take a good book into the bathroom with me, for Fleet really works. The next day, I entered the hospital, and was given nothing to eat after 6 p.m. The next day was the surgery, and the first thing that I had was an enema.

I know about the 'jitters', but I think that they give you something to really calm you down beforehand.

All the best tomorrow. Big The waiting really is the hardest part. But, you will feel so much better after.
Unread 07-28-2003, 11:14 AM
surgery tues 29th

My only preparation was nothing by mouth after midnight. Wishing you the best of luck tomorrow!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register