getting closer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

getting closer getting closer

Unread 07-28-2003, 06:19 PM
getting closer

I have spent hours on this site the past few weeks ...... gaining lots of knowledge to help me prepare for my surgery....

I have found lots of answers but have also gained lots of new questions: I hope to get some answered here and the rest with my doctor on pre-op visit on Aug. 4. My surgery is August 11th - TVH - uterus only......

I'm looking for help with the following questions:
I am an anti-drug girl and terrified of any narcotic pain med.
I also want no part of an epidural. I had two children naturally and had no problem dealing with the pain. Took shower immediately after delivery while babies were being bathed.
What are my alternatives to pain med? Will tylenol be enough?
I am also terrified of a catheter.

I am also reading about problems with bladder after the surgery. I am a teacher of 13 years and pride myself on saying I have a great bladder. I am looking forward to ending my monthly problems but don't wish to add any new ones either.

I am very comfortable with having the surgery but some of the things I am reading are really scaring me......... I am trying to stay optimistic about my surgery and recovery.

Any advise would be greatly welcomed!!
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2003, 06:36 PM
getting closer

Hi, Sue!

First of all, I'm glad you found this site! It's been a great help to be both pre-op, post-op and in the two years since.

I had a TVH (removed ovaries) and had few problems with pain. I woke up with one of those pain pumps, and you only bolus it when you feel the need. The nurse came in the day after the surgery all upset, because she thought I was in pain since hardly any of the meds were used (she thought the pump had a problem with it, lol). I have a high resistance to pain, and didn't need much.

As for the catheter, I woke up with one. As far as I know, this is pretty standard (they can't have any leaking during the surgery, for sanitary reasons).

I, too, am a teacher, and did have some bladder problems after the surgery, in the form of chronic UTIs. However, I can proudly say, I can go all day teaching and 'hold it in' -

I would advise you to write down all your questions and take them to your MD before the surgery. He or she will be able to answer them all according to the procedures he or she uses.

Big s

Blessings,

Pam
Unread 07-28-2003, 07:07 PM
getting closer

Sounds like you will do fine. I had the morphine pump with a muscle relaxer and slept through most of the worst part. I did not have to punch it very much at all. Maybe six times during the night. I had my surgery at 7:40 in the morning and went home by 6:30 the next day. I only took two pain pills (one for two nights) and was on Advil since then. I don't like pain meds either. They make me feel bad. The sooner I was off of them the better I felt. Plus it helps get those BM's going . BUT...if you are in pain, use them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2003, 07:43 PM
getting closer

I too am nervous about my upcoming surgery and all of the pain that comes afterwards. I can not answer about that but I can make a comment on the catheter. I have bladder issues that is going to be corrected with the surgery. I had a urodynamics test done on friday. They had to insert a catheter (2 of them) and I had no sedation or numbing. It didn't hurt going in our coming out, but it was just a bit uncomfortable. I think that the worst part of it all was laying there having to "hold it". I am looking forward to posting my castle experience.

Good luck hon!!!

jkp
Unread 07-28-2003, 08:03 PM
getting closer

Oh yeah. The cath! They put mine in while I was still under and it stayed in that day and came out the next day. It did not hurt to take it out. They just deflate the balloon thing and pull it out.
I couldn't wait to get that thing out of there! I was so ready to sit up in a chair and move around. Make sure that someone watches your bag & makes sure everything is flowing correctly. Mine filled up a few times during the night and caused unneeded bladder pain.

I think I got caught between shift changes. Just keep an eye on it and that's one bit of pain you can avoid. Eat lots of ice chips!
Unread 07-28-2003, 10:13 PM
getting closer

I have a blonde question...
With having a TVH, I thought that the cervix gets removed as well. I was told that the cervix would have to go with that type of surgery. Mine was removed.

Just wondering ???
Unread 07-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Mrs. Rev

That's what I've always heard. I had a TAH (bikini cut). I could keep or get rid of the cervix. I got rid of it. Kept ovaries.
Unread 07-29-2003, 04:53 AM
getting closer

Thanks for the answers. I will definitely discuss these concerns with doctor on Monday. As for the cervix? I will ask that also. Not sure if I have a choice to keep it or not. I too have read here that it must go but the doctor never mentioned it. Maybe she assumes I know that. Truthfully, I don't know much about the whole thing. I too will discuss other options besides morphine. I am very against that since my mother had a severe allergic reaction to it when she had knee replacement surgery a few years ago. I also think it would be much too strong for me since I don't even take tylenol...........don't even keep it in the house for emergencies. Many of my friends find that amazing. I have never taken anything stronger than over the counter stuff.......... I did have surgery when I was 10 on my ankles but don't remember what they gave me for pain........of course I had no choice at that age they just gave it to me........it came in pill or shot form so I'm guessing it wasn't morphine.... Tons of questions.......thankfully I am the doctor's first appt. for my pre-op.........surgery is not til 2:00 PM on the 11th.......that will be the longest day of my life probably.......
Thanks again for the support I am receiving here.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register