Bruising | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-03-2003, 07:13 PM
Bruising

Hi Sisters-

I decided to post here on the Road Less Traveled in hopes that someone will respond to my post. I haven't had much luck with responses on the Post-Op side. Maybe I'm too far out to post there(almost 6 months).

I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with bruising
since they've had their hysterectomy. I seem to have a problem with getting a bruise with the slighest touch. I have a huge bruise on the back of my thigh and I don't remember hitting myself on anything. My sisters and mother are worried that something is wrong. I talked to a friend who is a nurse and she said the bruise didn't look like it has a clot in it but said to watch it. I have all kinds of bruises on my legs and can't explain any of them. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks again,

Chuckie

tah/bso 2-10-03 endometrial hyperplasis, adeno, & fibroids
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Bruising

Chuckie,
I have had the same problem off and on since my hyst. While I've always been a fairly easy bruiser, since the hyst it has bordered on the ridiculous at times. I have had a full work up by a hematologist and he could find nothing out of the oridinary wrong with my blood. I have heard that Vitamin E can cause excessive bruising, but I stopped taking that.

I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but wanted you to know that you're not alone. I would recommend that you talk with your doctor about the bruising and see what he/she has to say. I would also recommend seeing a hematologist to get a thorough workup.

Big <gentle> s from one bruiser to another.
Unread 08-03-2003, 07:52 PM
Bruising

(((Chuckie)))

I have always bruised like a peach. My mother and grandmother did/do too. I am talking ghastly bruised with no idea where they came from. A doctor once suggested that it had something to do with Vitamin K. Another told Mom it was from asprin/ibuprofen. Never given any indication that it was anything to be overly concerned with.

That being said, since this is something new/different for you since the hyst, it is probably worth discussing with your doctor. I do hope that you find the answers you are looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Bruising

Hi Chuckie, My Son's girlfriend bruises really easy,she went to her Doctor and he drew blood and she was low in iron,he put her on iron tablets and it has helped alot also she was really tired and that has improved. Iron can cause constipation,she has to make sure she its alot of fiber and drink lots of water,she also is eating some iron rich foods, hopefully she will be able to soon control it with the foods and not the iron pills. She is also taking VitaminC with Bioflavonoids, it helps with bruising. Some foods good in iron are dark green leafy vegetables,kidney and lima beans,lentils,liver,eggs,enriched breads,whole grain cereals,avocados,raisins,prunes,black strap molasses,brewer's yeast. Hope this helps and maybe a simple blood test will give you the answer.
Unread 08-03-2003, 07:57 PM
Bruising

Thanks for the replys ladies. I'm taking my youngest son to the dr on Tuesday. I'll ask him then. Bill-I sent you a PM on a topic you posted earlier. Thanks again ladies you all are priceless!!!

Chuckie
Unread 08-04-2003, 02:52 PM
Bruising

Hmmm.....I didn't get a PM from you Chuckie????
Unread 08-05-2003, 04:17 PM
Bruising

Never gave a thought to any connection between a hyst and bruising ... but it sure sheds light on all these bruises I've had the past year! People ask, "What happened to your legs?" and I honestly don't know! All I know is that the slightest bump leaves a huge bruise, and I never had that pre-hyst. INTERESTING!!!

Wishing you good health,
Kajsa
Unread 08-05-2003, 06:38 PM
Bruising

I have bruised easily all my life for different reasons - low iron, low platelets, etc. The last time I asked a DR about it all I was advised to avoid aspirin products. None of that is happening now but my post-op bruising was the worst I have ever had. Your doctor should be able to give you an answer because there are many reasons. Good luck!
Unread 08-05-2003, 08:20 PM
same problem

I too have had the same problem since my hyst. All you have to do is touch me and I bruise. My legs are black litterly.

Denise

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register