one year post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

one year post-op one year post-op

Unread 08-04-2003, 08:24 AM
one year post-op

I have to say that I wish I had done more investigating about reducing the size of fibroids rather than have the tah/o. I had previously been slim, full of energy and clear of mind fogs. But since last Sept. I have gained almost 20 pounds (and haven't changed any habits) have no libido, and sometimes can hardly remember why I have walked from one room to another. I stopped taking estrace thinking that was the reason for my weight gain and now am worried about the way my skin will age, my bone density and certainly about not wanting sex! It is actually so painful that I cry. I'm sure hysterectomies are great for most people, but I truly think if I had it to do over, I wouldn't do it. At least not at this time of my life. I am 52, felt and looked 42 and have a younger husband!! Plus, on top of everything, I developed a hernia at the incision site and now have to have that repaired! Oh, woe is me! I'm usually quite upbeat but wanted to post this and see if anyone else is having regrets and what they might be doing about it in the aftermath. Thanks for letting me vent....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2003, 11:13 AM
one year post-op

((((trish))))) I'm so sorry you've been having such a hard time since your hyst

While I'm also having issues to deal with that I didn't expect, since my TVH with Rectocele repair in December 2000, I don't regret having the surgery: despite arthritic pain, a dramatic increase in IBS symptoms and BP and Bladder woes, I still have more energy and feel better than I have in ages!!! I've also lost 55 lbs since my hyst and that helps with the energy and feeling better.

Since the majority of your problems seem to be related to hormonal unbalance.. or not being on any HRT, you might want to ask your questions in the Hormone Jungle message board or the No-Hormone Desert Oasis message board. You might also want to discuss all of these health issues with your doctor: while I'm not on HRT (yet), I know that there are several combinations available and that it may take a while before finding the combination that is right for you.

Where the hernia is concerned, I'm afraid I do not have any insight for you, but I do know that other Road Dwellers have had problems of that nature and, hopefully, they'll be around real soon to share some insight.

Sending tons of s your way and hoping that you find answers soon.
Unread 08-04-2003, 01:08 PM
one year post-op

((Trish))

I don't have any insight about the hernia - but pain during sex can often be easily corrected. I went off estrace too, but I do use a vaginal estrogen cream (need a prescription). It only took a week to really feel much better - some women swear by dissolving tablets or rings - all work on the same principle of putting some estrogen right on those sensitive tissues.

I did find losing weight easier after I went off the estrace (not that I was especially heavy (I am 5'6, was 130 before surgery, went to 145 after, now 120) but that isn't the case for everyone. Have you scheduled an appointment with your doc? A low dose of estrogen for a few years may help - or it may be a thyroid problem - lots of us find that sudden menopause plays havoc with the thyroid.

I don't exactly have regrets about my hyst - it was for cancer and it saved my life - although I just miss having all my parts. I do have to say though that now - a year and a 1/2 out - I generally feel good and look good. But it did take all that time. It was really just this summer that I felt better.

Sending many hugs your way

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2003, 09:34 PM
one year post-op

I am almost 5 years our from TAH for fibroids and I have regretted it every day. I wouldn't recommend this surgery to my worst enemy. I have heard women say how wonderful they feel, and I just can't understand it. I am in more pain than before the surgery (different pain, but more of it). It has ruined my life.

So, you are not alone.
Unread 08-07-2003, 09:03 AM
one year post-op

I started estratest Tues. pm and had a headache for a while yesterday. Don't know if it was related or not. I think the stress may have gotten to me! I will be eager to find out if this helps. Say a little prayer for me !

You all have been a wonderful source of support. Thanks for your help from the bottom of my I send you all a hug

Trish
Unread 09-29-2003, 01:22 PM
regrets

I know too it seems most are glad the surgery took place, but too that some feel as I do, that the regrets are greater for us. I think it is important too, that we know we are not alone out there with our feelings. I wouldn't want to scare someone away from surgery..I would tell a person I know, to really do your homework...and when you think you have, do more...

Just as I thought I had known enough, I now am so regretful. Had BSO 11-02, the week I saw my OBGYN for reg check up, I was feeling and looking the best I had in 10 years, life was great.

Now I have had more medical problems than in my entire life!! Haaing never experienced surgery, I didm't know the repercussions. It was a small mass teeny on my left ovary, had two other opinions, but it was so small, it now seems if I had waited a month, it was so small that it wouldn't have made much difference in the wait..to see if it would go away on its own.

My OBGYN of years, pushed too strongly for the BSO...I had never had a problem with periods, no cancer history in family, and it turns out it was just a noninvasive blob that would have passed with my next period.

I have had not the usual surgical menopause reactions, but have had horrible pains, thyroid now high levels, hearing loss, tissue pains, joint, I could go on.

I have made the best, but it shouldn't have had to be this way.

Kathy
Unread 09-30-2003, 10:32 AM
one year

Oh, Trish, I feel for you. I had my TAH for fibroids, but got to keep my ovaries, so for me it was the solution to my problems, and haven't had the hormone issues(yet). Sounds like you need some tweaking and the ladies in the Hormone Jungle could help.

As to the hernia, I am 6 days post-op from an incisional hernia repair......that is why I am perusing the boards again! I developed a hernia about 6 weeks ago from a stupid move involving a few pillows and a cat(it makes me steam just thinking about it, and my cat is very lucky to still have residence in this house!) Went to my PCP, then a surgeon.....it was pretty obvious that I had a hernia, I didn't feel I needed a 2nd opinion. Anyway, the surgeon described the procedure, under local with sedation, would be home in a few hours, out of work for 2 weeks. No big deal. In hindsight, I wish I had thought of it as a little bit more of a big deal......the last few days would have been easier on me. The surgery was very easy, and I was comfortable the whole time, I felt great afterwards, and was home that afternoon with just some ibuprophen and feeling comfortable. It has been the last few days that have been tougher. I was not prepared for how immobile I would be......I think I was moving around better after my TAH.......that surprised and frustated me. I basically was going from bed to chair to toilet and back to bed and little else. Not that I was uncomfortable...I wasn't, I just couldn't bend, lift a gallon of milk for my cereal, turn over in bed, or cough for that matter. Saturday I was frustrated and crying (I never cry) and Sunday I just didn't get out of bed(fortunately lots of good movies on the tube). I felt better yesterday, I finally could cough! But I still stayed in bed all day. Today I feel great.....I took a shower, got dressed for the first time, and I have much more easy motion today. I also haven't had any of the tiredness that I had after the TAH......maybe that is why I have had the frustration. Anyway, I just thought I would fill you in on my experience, and maybe save you some frustrations.

Feel free to PM me if I can be of any help. I hope the hormone issues can get resolved.
Molly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register