achy joints | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-04-2003, 08:10 PM
achy joints

hi all!

had my hysterectomy 3 yrs ago in June.was put on premarin, was doing great. In feburary my doctor took me off of them and 3 months later I noticed that my fingers and feet were getting stiff, especially in the morning. my dr. thinks its ole arthur. but i don't think so .

now, it has got to where my joints ache, and my arm and leg muscles hurt day and night. i feel like i'm about 90 years old.iI don't know if it's from lack of estrogen or not, but, I'm starting back on premarin this week. hope it helps. has anyone else had this problem? if so would love to hear from you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2003, 08:42 PM
achy joints

hi bonni,

i had my hysterectomy 9 years ago and i noticed the joints in my hands and feet became achy and painful.

My muscles also began to hurt and still do to this day. For me the problems grew worse and I was referred to a Rheumatolgist who diagnosed me with fibromylagia. A few weeks later my primary care physician diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

This is my personal experience with the achy joints and painful muscles. Hopefully the premarin will help, let me know if it does or doesn't!

taylormade
Unread 08-05-2003, 07:01 AM
achy joints

Hi Bonni. I had my hysterectomy almost 4 years ago. I was on Premarin 1.25. Last Feb my doc lessen the dose to .625. I had terrible muscle ache, joint pain and really SORE feet. I was diagnosed last month with severe osteoperosis so I am guessing alot of the aches and pain were due to that. However... The sore feet I think, is from the low dosage of premarin. My feet really hurt upon rising in the morning and by the end of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2003, 10:37 AM
achy joints

Hi Bonni

Several of the members who post in The Road Less Travelled, including myself, have been complaining of aching joints, as well as with stiffness. Hormonal unbalance is one of the causes of these aches and pains and, considering that your doctor stopped your HRT for a while, it seems to point in that direction... Hopefully, you'll start feeling the benefits of restarting Premarin very soon.

In my case, however, I am not yet perimenopausal (I kept my ovaries and they're working) so other possible causes for my pain have to be explored. Since all the tests (blood work and x-rays) came back negative, my current diagnosis is arthritic pain, but the possibility of RA, or another form of arthritis, has not been eliminated. I am taking Celebrex, an anti-inflammatory, to control the pain. On those days where that's not enough, I find that using Extra-strength Absorbine Jr. helps. It's specially formulated for arthritic pain.

Sending lots of healing s your way. Please keep us posted.
Unread 08-05-2003, 04:31 PM
achy joints

Hi Bonni

Ok are you sure you are not me??? I have had the same thing going on with sore feet(so sore could barely walk), stiff joints, sore hands, sore back etc. for the last 3 months... I also feel as if I am 90 years old and am only 43 ...

So the answer is??? I don't know- I did have my hormones changed to a higher dose and it has helped alot...but have not had them checked as I had major bladder complications and to say I am gun shy about returning to the DR is an understatement..but I did talk to her and she said it is hormonal (just great)-and as I have no ovaries (was supposed to ) I now have to deal with this too as you are also... I am going to try natural at some point, if my life ever calms down- and at this point I don't think so...so I tolerate it as I have tolerated everything the last 30 years with my female parts.. I can add progesterone cream and have not tried it yet as I am trying to let my body rest and heal, but I don't know- that might be down the road...

So know you don't suffer alone and I bet stopping the hormones just made it worse- so I hope you feel better soon...I know how much it hurts- I could barely walk by 6pm every night!!! Let me know how you do- maybe we can help eachother out!!!
Unread 08-05-2003, 05:13 PM
achy joints

I want to thank all you guys, for your support.Karen you sound just like me to a tee. was off the premarin about 3 months.when I woke up one morning, it hit me like a ton of bricks. The bottoms of my feet even hurt...........can't even make a tight fist, It feels like the skin over my nuckles are being stretched.

Im only 48, but feel 90....... I started back on my hrt today. Will let you all know how it goes..... (soon I hope)

Oh! I am soooooo that I found this site. And maybe we can help one another out!!!!!.

Unread 08-05-2003, 05:33 PM
achy joints

(((((Bonni)))))

You bet we can help eachother!!! I have been around for 10 months at Hysterssisters and have helped/been helped so much I can't even say...so happy you found this site and you can vent/get answers to almost anything!!!! Talk to you soon
Unread 08-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Hi,

I know what you mean about the joints. It all started with me about 6 weeks post op, mainly in left hip and right hand, sometimes the low back. We went to NY to visit DD and walked a lot and after a couple of hours of walking , my legs tightened up and my left hip hurt. This had never happened to me before the surgery. I used to walk and work out all the time before with no problem whatsoever. It was such a shock. I noticed when I would rest it would get better. Then I would go exercise and it would be a problem again.

After months of this I finally went to an arthritis dr and had tests run and blood taken. The blood tests are good and the x rays don't show anything bad. She said by all the symptoms that I have, I have the very early stages of osteoarthritis. I take medicine only when needed , exercise , but careful not to push it. She said a trauma to the body can bring this out in people and surgery is trauma. My Dad has arthritis in his fingers so I have the chance for it. She said it could get better, go in remission , or progress. They just watch it and help you manage it. We talked about hormones , and yes they suspect they play a big part in it, but not enough testing to say for sure what. She took a very detailed history and asked a lot of questions about my health as well.

This dr's specialty is internal medicine and rhuematoidology so I trust her diagnoses. I'm glad I went and know I don't have RA and my joints are not in advance stages of this disease. I also learned that exercise helps the pain if done right , I was worried I was hurting my hip further if I exercised.
She said 50% of the people by the time they are 60 will have osteoarthritis to some degree. You can get it starting in your 40's mostly, but can be earlier. It is the most common type. My husband probably has it, he gets stiff and achey. When it gets bad I feel like a 80 year old woman. When I take the medicine it is just about gone and I feel great. If it stays like this and gets no worse I could live with this.

I hope you get better. If you can find out what is causing it then you can accept it, treat it and will feel better.

P.S. I have been on >.1 vivelle dot estrogen patch since surgery

s
Unread 08-09-2003, 06:19 AM
achy joints

HI Ladies

How are we all feeling??? I am miserable...I swear I just want to feel somewhat normal...my sciatic is KILLING me to say the least...I never had any problems prior to hyster and now I can barely get out of bed the pain is so bad...it runs down my left leg and is excruciating...I have been living on Alleve which helps alot, but hopefully am seeing a chiropractor today to see if this helps..

I am sick of meds, DR's etc...I feel like I am 90 as I sit and type while the alleve kicks in...I will let you all know if this helps and if she has any ideas to deal with all the pain we all seem to have...stay in touch and Bonni how are you feeling sweetie...Hang in there ladies
Unread 08-09-2003, 12:06 PM
achy joints

(((((Karen))))) I can empathize with you to no end: I was doing OK (providing that living on anti-inflammatories is OK ) until, all of sudden, the pain hit me like a ton of bricks, about an hour or so ago: for some reason, my outer right wrist decided that this was a good time for the pain to flare

You know, some days, I have more aches and pains, at almost 47, than my 72 yo mom (who never had a hyst) has

We'll get through this together Hopefully, the chiropractor will be able to help you: my brother, who has chronic back pains, has found lots of relief from his.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register