Urine in vagina - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urine in vagina Urine in vagina

Unread 08-07-2003, 07:21 AM
Urine in vagina

(((((Arlene)))))

As I have edited my earlier post- let me make a correction...some of our fistulasisters have had complications with their surgeries... of which there are many so I apologize to you for my error...

As for surgery approaches...I am sure there many....I did not consider a vaginal approach any less frightening than abdominal- but that is a decision that is made by you and your DR...I can only share my experience and hope it might help you in some way....

I take it all as a life enhancing experience and an opportunity to be ever so grateful for my wonderful life and family....things do sometimes pile on and you feel overwhelmed, but I just hope in some small way to help you cope...

(((((Chandler)))))

I hope work is more understanding and you are able to get some rest...I'll be looking for your new thread and hoping you have a good day!!! to all my friends....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2003, 10:48 AM
Urine in vagina

Karen and all new 'sisters',
Thanks for your clarifications. I was especially concerned since I have read that this surgery is more complicated and requires more recovery time.
As I have bladder test tomorrow, I believet this Dr. will give me more directions then.
Since the start of school has been on my mind, I decided to call my supervisor, luckily she is new to the position and a former teacher buddy of mine. She was concerned to hear about the problem and told me to take care of myself and they would take care of things there. I am so grateful that she is in that position, your supervisor can make life heaven or hell, especially in a high school. I believe she is going to try to get assistants for my classes so that it will make it easier if I have to take a bathroom break in the middle of class when I DO return.
Thinking about returning keeps me going.
Arlene
Unread 08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Urine in vagina

Hello Ladies!

I am 6+ months post abdominal fistula repair and doing pretty good. It's a long road even when everything goes right, which in over 90% of the time it does. Everyone is different, but keeping a positive attitude is really important.

Post all your fears and frustrations, we'll be here to help. I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Lots of hugs to you all!

Louise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Urine in vagina

Louise,
If you knew you had the fistula 10 days post op why did they wait so long for repair?
What did you do meanwhile?
Arlene
Unread 08-07-2003, 07:23 PM
My story...

Chandler & Arlene

I had a LAVH in May. During recovery from the surgery, I woke up in TERRIBLE pain and remember several docs/people standing around me looking at the cup that my catheter had drained into. It was completely red. Everyone seemed to be confused, including my Gyn. That did eventually clear up after a couple of weeks, but issues didn't. At first it wasn't anything that I couldn't live with, but I knew things weren't the same. I couldn't explain it, but I knew something was wrong with my bladder.

At 5 weeks post-op, the leaking began - it was just a few drops. I called my gyn, and of course, he was on vacation. By the end of the week the floodgates had opened - Depends were now required. I was beside myself. I called the doc's office again demanding for an urologist's name. I was given one and got an appointment the next week. He did a cystoscopy on me and found a vesicovaginal fistula (V V F). Basically there was a whole in my bladder and leaking through my vagina. He said that the reason it took so long to develop was because a stitch was accidentally put through my bladder during my hysterectomy. Unfortunately he said he was unable to do the repair because the whole in the bladder was too close to my ureter tube (connects kidneys to bladder.) So it was off to the Cleveland Clinic to see the Head of Urology.

This doc was able to repair the fistula - vaginally! So thankful that I was not opened up! He took part of my abdominal wall and placed it over the whole to repair it. I had my follow-up this last Tuesday and everything was a success. Whooo Hooo! He capped off the SP cath after my appointment - so my bladder is back to working. Tomorrow the SP cat tube will be removed and it will be time to move on with life!

With regard to recovery, I have felt MUCH BETTER than after the hyst. About a week after the surgery was up to going yard saleing, etc. Of course I overdid it, but I am doing better than before. Even at my follow-up, my doc pretty much release me to do anything - except sex. I have to wait 6 more weeks for that. Poor DH!!! He said that he has seen fistulas return when a woman has had "relations" too soon. (His exact words.)

Of course, EVERYONE is different. This is just what's going on here. Hope this helps. Sorry to go on so long....
Unread 08-07-2003, 08:46 PM
Urine in vagina

Arlene,

Here's my fistula story...

I started leaking at 10 days. At first, it was just a little, I thought I had an incontinence problem that had just gotten worse. I went to see my GYN's partner (She was out of town!) and he said it was a bad uti and put me on antibiotics. 7 days later, (and after finding this site)
I went in to see my gyn and made her do a pelvic. She didn't see any urine in the vagina, did a tampon test and it came up negative, so I left happy convinced I had weak pelvic floor muscles-I did kegals like a mad woman! 3 days later, I started FLOODING every time i sat up or rollrd over in bed-I went in to see my GYN(no appt) she did another exam and we both cried 'cause my vagina was soaking with urine!
Made an appt with a uro to do the ivp and cysto for 5 days later and he diagnosed the fistula which wasn't much more thatn a pin hole at first (which was why I didn't leak all the time) I didn't like the uro or his partner, so my gyn sent me to a gyn/uro who specializes in oncology patients who develop fistulas due to radiation treatments. LOVED HIM! They were optimistic it could heal on it's own, and also felt that I needed to heal from the hysterectomy more, so I had a foley cath for 6 weeks to give it a chance. (I had a great Christmas!) I went in on Jan 3rd, I had no leaking for almost 2 weeks so I was convinced I wouldn't need surgery. He did the tampon test and I was still leaking so I needed the repair. At that time I was having horrible bladder spasms (Like labor pains, I swear!) so he said as long as I could tolerate the leaking for 2 more weeks till surgery, he took out the foley (heaven!)
The leaking was really bad 'cause the fistula had "matured" and was a great little tube! I was glad to be rid of the spasms though!
Recovery from the 2nd surgery was very tough for me, I think because I had gained so much weight from being strapped to that foley. It was a very tough first 2 weeks but I made it and so will all of you!
Sorry this was so long!

Hugs, Louise
Unread 08-07-2003, 08:59 PM
What is

What is an IVP..how do they do this test?
Unread 08-08-2003, 06:48 AM
Urine in vagina

Well I went to the Dr. yesterday a gyn. that my uro. referred me to and he said my uretha was short he thought maybe scar tissue had pulled it down since my uretha was at an odd angle, the uro. had told him about the urine in my vagina and he at first said well I could wear a tampon and pads for the rest of my life and I said NO!!!! I feel dirty the urine always comes out of my vagina when I sit down after I've went to the bathroom. (Nasty)

Then he changed his attitude and said this was rare, him and the uro. would consult with each other to see if they thought they could repair the vagina and uretha,or send me to another Dr.

Does anyone else out there feel as thought they are going to have a nervous break down?
Unread 08-08-2003, 09:39 AM
Urine in vagina

(((((Jen)))))

Hope you feel better today- I am so sorry the DR gave you a hard time...how about he wears a tampon for the rest of his life????

Keep yourself strong and try and rest....how long before they let you know what they think??? I hope they get back to you soon sweetie...I know how frustrated you are...but at least everyday brings you closer to the end- that is what kept me sane- thinking it was one less day to go before a surgery date...all your feelings are normal and I know you feel overwhelmed...so just hang in there and let us know how you are...

Sending a big to you and come and :cry: anytime!!! Talk to you soon!!!
Unread 08-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Urine in vagina

Dear Jen, I am another fistual sister and here's my story.

My GYN held me on antibiotics for eight weeks and kept telling me that I have an UTI. I was leaking and urinating with blood and he still insisted that I have UTI. Finally I asked to be reffered to Uro because from all the reading I had , I suspected that I have a fistula . And of course Uro immediatelly said that he thinks I have a fistula. I had some tests ( IVP, cyctogramm and cycstoscopy). Only cyctoscopy showed that I have a hole, I still don't know why IVP and cyctogramm were negative for fistula.

I think the reason why my Gyn did not want to admit that I have a VVF - he new it was his error ( he sewed through my bladder while closing the cuff).

Now I am going to have a repair on Aug. 21.

Good luck to you, Jen and I hope that your Road Less Traveled will be short and easy.

Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register