Urine in vagina - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Urine in vagina Urine in vagina

Unread 08-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Urine in vagina

Cindy -

An IVP is a test done at the hospital to see how your kidneys & ureter tubes are working. You get an IV, in which they place "contrast" fluid into. Like surgery & other tests, you may have to do a bowel prep and cannot eat or drink after midnight.

The procedure kind of goes in this order:

1. An x-ray is taken before the contrast is injected

2. In goes the contrast - it can make you feel warm all over and leave a metalic taste in your mouth. Kind of weird.

3. X-rays are then taken over a period of time - about 15/20 minutes. This shows how the fluid runs through the kidneys to the bladder - make sure there is no blockage or leakage.

4. And that's it. It all takes about 45 minutes or so.

Just drink a lot of water afterward to rid yourself of the contrast. The metalic taste does go away pretty quickly.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-08-2003, 07:15 PM
Urine in vagina

Sorry to both of you guys about the fistula. I too am a fistula sister. I was leaking 10 days post op. Took 9 days for my GYN to finally see me as I got the "run around." "It's normal, do Kegals."

Because of the hyst. the uro explained to me that my tissue was like mush and he wouldn't have any good tissue to repair...and most of the time it takes 3 months for the repair surgery. Again depends on your doctor.

I was cath'd for over 4 months. My repair was successful but now I'm freaked because I just read a post about someone being 8 months post op and having a fistula. YIKES!

I am having other problems....

I advice you to go back and read some posts (threads) from other woman too.

I am sorry this is happening to you. I too had my hyst. in Nov. 2002 so I could work. I do taxes and was planning on being healed for the new tax year....but I lost my entire tax season....

Well I'm sad to hear you joined "our group" but we ARE here for you. Ask any questions. I am still recovering....and not working.
LOST my job because of this "complication."

s

Renee
Unread 08-09-2003, 06:51 AM
Urine in vagina

Hi,

Fistulas can show up at anytime & not only from surgical mistakes. If you suffer from IC or other bladder disorders fistulas can be quite common. Also radiation treatments can spring leaks at anytime anywhere. Some urostomies are considered temporary while people are waiting fistulas to heal. Also fistulas are just as common in men as they are in women. On this site you get a very one sided view of fistulas because they have all been caused by our surgery. That is why it is so important to search outside & to not limit yourself to only this site. Had I done that I would have given up & would still be in diapers. I have learned so many things from a gentleman in the UK. What I like about his advice is that he always follows it up with research articles. When he throws out a statistic he posts where he received his information. Worldwide & in every gender & age fistulas are very much more prevalent then led to believe by our select little group. A very good source for bladder problems is the United Ostomy Association. They can send you information regarding all types of bladder disorders along with treatments & alternatives to having an ostomy. If you are anywhere near Las Vegas this weekend they are having their annual meeting. I am not sure what hotel they have there booths set up but experts on bowel as well as urinary problems will be in attendance. Also 1,000's of ostomates to share their own struggles. I am only too sorry to miss this year but plan to attend next years meeting. A fistula is not pleasant anytime.

God Bless,
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2003, 09:17 AM
Urine in vagina

Morning Ladies,

Just wanted to say that all the info that I've read about fistula's and hysterectomy patients states that they occur in less than 2% of woman. Yes, they can be caused by alot of different things such as radiation and severe infections, but I think the ones most of us got were caused by difficult surgeries and the drs either stitched through the bladder or there was so much adhesions and endo to be cut, they also nicked the bladder. That's why, for the most part, I think we do a great job supporting each other through this. Of course, nothing you read on ANY web site substitutes for a good doctor!

Terry's case is unique (she's the first to tell you that) All the statistics state that a fistula is usually repaired the first time (98%) and usually 100% if a second surgery is needed.

Anyway, keep your chin up-you'll make it through this! I have learned so much about myself and my family and friends, so now after almost a year, I really look back at the whole thing as almost a blessing in disguise. It has made me a much more tolerant person, given me patience, and brought God back into my life. It's a tough road but don't let it run your life-keep as positive as you can, it will help!

Hugs to you all!
Louise
Unread 08-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Urine in vagina

Hi,

Wanted to follow up on the UOA- United Ostomy Association Conference. August 10-13 Exibit Hall is at the Riviera Hotel Las Vegas, NV 702-734-5110 starting at 2:00 PM. If you are in the area & one of the many women experiencing bowel or bladder dysfunction there should be many experts that could give you guidance. It is not necessarily for ostomy people only, as they spend a lot of time & money on research & alternatives to ostomies. But be aware that there will be a lot of ostomates in attendance. You won't know to look at them as we really do look like everyone else.

God Bless,
Terry
Unread 08-09-2003, 07:23 PM
Urine in vagina

Regarding IVP's. I had my done at a Radiology center, not in the hospital.
Friday, had bladder tests done at hospital. Dr. and his assistant were wonderful. It was a really gross test to have done, but not painful, just rather uncomfortable at times.
Good news is Dr. found the hole and feels it is best repaired vaginally. Even thinks it should be done same day surgery. (That is fine with me, because the food was inedible at that hospital) He is trying to get a date for this coming week since I am over 6 weeks after hysto.
Bad news is he wants me to use the catheter for 4 weeks to make sure it is healed. Says the bag will be attached to thigh and I can wear pants and dresses.
I feel very confident in him, came highly recommended by Senator friend whose wife is head of marketing for another hospital, but he is awfully young. He is also going on vacation in a week to the south of France, but would leave me a contact from his office who I think is the head of Urology.
To those of you who have been through this, do you think I would be able to work while wearing catheter? High school teacher, requires sitting and standing and driving 15 minutes to the school.
Oh, and thanks for being here
Arlene
Unread 08-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Working with a catheter

Arlene -

Absolutely. You can work with a catheter as long as feel well otherwise. I went to work for 2 weeks with a catheter with no problem. But this was before my surgery. I had the cath to give me a break on the leaking. It helped ALOT but it didn't completly stop the leaking.

I had my V V F repair surgery almost 3 weeks ago, which was done vaginally. I came home after spending one night in the hospital. After surgery I had both a foley & SP cath, which is what most of us have had. I was one of the few, though, who only came home with the SP cath. I just had that cath removed yesterday. What a relief!

Please remember that after surgery, especially after having a second major surgery, you need to take it easy. Your body has been through a lot. I pray that you will be able to take off from work for a few weeks. You will need it.

Take care and keep us posted on your progress.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register