Swelly Bellies Unite! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Swelly Bellies Unite! Swelly Bellies Unite!

Unread 08-09-2003, 05:11 PM
Swelly Bellies Unite!

I have visited this site quite often since my 7/9 TAH BSO and have read a lot about the wonderful swelly belly effect of this surgery. I had wished I had read items from this post op site before my surgery so that I would have been aware that my stomach was going to blow up and stay that way for awhile so at least I could have asked questions of my doctor as to how to combat this "large" problem.

I would love to find people at this site who have done things to counteract this dumb swollen belly thing. It is obvious that the majority of women on here seem to wake up in the morning with about 3 inches less belly than they go to bed with. Is this the only solution..................lying on our backs?! Since we all must get up and walk around eventually, has anyone discovered any other techniques for stopping the swelling? Does anyone know what physically is really happening that makes our stomachs puff out? Is it water in the skin tissue? Are our intestines bloating with water or air?

I read a few entries where ladies mentioned a few things that seemed to work. For instance, several ladies said they noticed swelling decreased because they had "outercourse." Someone said that doing stomach crunches can worsen the swelling, so even when we can exercise do we just have to accept that we will look three months pregnant and wear stretchy clothes every evening? I feel like this site is a great place to do a little scientific information gathering. Have you measured your belly in the morning, noon, and night? Does it make a difference in the swelling if you take a nap? Does the swelling go down? Doesn't it seem strange that thousands of women go through this surgery and we have so little real information about some of these after effects of this surgery? I know people heal differently, etc., but there must be commanalities that can help us all get through the post op with more optimism for successfully dealing with some of the problems that have now become part of our lives due to the surgery. I'd love to hear what good and bad experiences ladies have had with trying to get rid of swelly belly. I refuse to believe that it will just one day magically disappear. Any response to this post will be gratefully appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Swelly Bellies Unite!

SIGH - if you can find anything that works, let all of us know. The only thing I have heard that helps is ---- TIME!

I am 5 weeks post op and it's a lot better now then it was. But, when I get out and walk and stuff, by the evening it's back but not nearly as bad.

If you do a search for swelly belly, you will find a lot of good info but, at least in my experience, not cure darnit.

and just take it slow and easy.

beditor
Unread 08-09-2003, 08:46 PM
Swelly Bellies Unite!

I think support is key. Wear a good support panty. I think my swelly belly has gone down after 4 weeks. Also, limit your activities... the more I do, the more it swells. Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Swelly Bellies Unite!

There is a very good thread about swelly belly I thought you might like to read (the initial post, especially). Check it out!

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...lly+what+it+is

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register