I guess I thought... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I guess I thought... I guess I thought...

Unread 09-22-2003, 11:02 AM
I guess I thought...

...that since I was ok'd to go back to work, that life would go back to normal!

Was I ever wrong!!!! I am so tired. As usual, I jumped back into life without think about how much I could handle. I'm so anxious to get back to my studies for the nursing program that I signed up for a class that starts at 8:00 am!! What was I thinking!! I also started a new job working in a high school library, my youngest son started 1st grade, my kids are on 4 different soccer team schedules, my husband was on travel for 2 weeks, my dad got married, and I went on an all-day bus field trip with my 13 year old daughter! Whew! Who do I think I am...Superwoman?

I think I need to post some little messages around the house to remind myself that I'm not the same person I used to be!

Anyone have any good ideas for me to handle the fatigue better? Do you think it's still an effect of the chemo? I'm following a good nutritional plan, and I'm taking multi-vitamins and calcium. Siren...any supplements that you can think of for me?

S to everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2003, 04:18 PM
I guess I thought...

Linda-
Just reading what you are doing makes me tired!!. I also have tried to do too much at times and experienced fatigue. We need to find the balance of enjoying life and caring for our bodies.

I think the messages around the house might be a good idea.

Take Care.

Ruth S
Unread 09-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Whew!

I got tired reading of all your activities! Yes, you likely still do have chemo fatigue--that goes on at least for a while after chemo stops. Remember what all your body has gone through since January! You are not Superwoman and if you don't listen to your body and rest more, you're going to crash. Let go of what you can and put yourself first more. I had to learn that. I went back to work full time ASAP and worked through chemo and took care of my house, etc. and I was pooped--and I didn't have children, etc. Just because you're over with chemo doesn't mean things are back to normal--it'll take quite a while for the fatigue to go. Normal now is slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2003, 08:28 PM
I guess I thought...

Hi Linda..

I remember being in the same boat as you. Once I started feeling better I wanted to conquer the world and truthfully, I did. When I finished chemo, I started taking One A Day Weight Smart vitamins for women. They are in the teal package. They are supposed to have something in them to boost your metabolism and I actually do have more energy when taking them.

Guess it is worth a try.

Keep in touch.

Rosalie
Unread 09-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Linda,

I don't know how you could keep that schedule! Even on my pre-c days, I don't think I could keep up! My dr. told me last week that it would be about 6 months until I felt 90% like me, and another 6 months to get that last 10% back. So keep that in my mind, and keep yourself first so that you don't burn out.
Unread 09-23-2003, 01:53 AM
I guess I thought...

Hi there

I know what you mean, I thought I could jump back into things, but not only is there extreme fatigue but also chest and back pain (feels like a heart attack, quite scary) if you don't stop. I find that I have good days, but if I overdue, my body will scream out in severe pain for me to stop. What I find that is helpful is to take a sit down break every couple of hours (at least) You will still need plenty of rest and try to eat healthy. I think that soft drinks aggravate things as does spicy foods.
Unread 09-23-2003, 08:23 AM
I guess I thought...

I am 8 months post hyst and almost 7 past the second surgery and didn't have chemo and I STILL get tired like that. Problem is I forget about it all until boom I "hit the wall" and then have to remember, oh yeah, I did have two surgeries and it isn't a year yet. I went to our Western Washington Fair ('the Puyallup") and was just dragging by the end of the half day. I could do so much more last year. We did a bunchof reorganizing in the garage and helped neighbors move some stuff and I felt like a little old lady the next day. Was hard to limb the stairs. I am going to try some of those vitamins though. I have been doing separate supplements but that sounds a lot easier.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register