V V Fistula Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

V V Fistula Surgery V V Fistula Surgery

Unread 09-22-2003, 07:35 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

I'm scheduled for V V Fistula repair Thursday (9/25). I was wondering if any of you who have been through this surgery have any words of wisdom. Anything you can tell me that will help me to prepare would be apprectiated.

Thanks,
Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 04:43 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

Hi I have had 3 fistulas reapired all through my vagina. One was from my intestinal cavity to the vagina, the other was from the bladder to the vagina, and the last one was back to the intestinal cavity to the vagina. The one I have left they have to open my tummy to fix the urine is ccoming from the Tube that carries your urine to the vagina. The repairs through the vagina I was in the OPerating room 4-6 hrs for each one. I am so sorry you have to go through this here is a huge (((((((((HUG))))))))) and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 09-23-2003, 05:34 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

Pamela,

Thanks for the hug. I don't know how the surgery will be done. The doc said she would try it vaginally but it will be very technically challenging so she may have to go through the abdomen. I guess I'll find out what happened when I wake up. I'm just starting to panic here with the surgery so close....I worry way too much.

It's sounds like you've had a time of it. Did this all come about after a hys?

Thanks for responding,
Shelly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 05:50 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

Had my hole from bladder to vagina. ewwwwwwwwwww.
Surgery lasted 3 hrs. Done by uro/gyno, not the gyn who did the hysterectomy. NO way!

Wore catheter for 3 weeks, taken out, back to work 3 days later.

Wiped out after work for at least 2 weeks. I teach High School special ed, lots of walking.

If you need to, e-mail me.

Arlene
Unread 09-23-2003, 07:34 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

Dear Shelley,

Best of luck and lots of s for you.

I don't have any experience with what you describe but I have had lots of surgeries and it is NEVER fun.

I hope your doctor is able to do the surgery all vaginally.
Please let us know how it goes when you feel up to posting.

Sarah
Unread 09-30-2003, 09:07 AM
V V Fistula Surgery

Hi Shelly!!

By the time you read this, you'll be all done your surgery and on the road to a 'dry' future!! Believe it or not, I am envious!! I'm leaking urine through my vagina due to a hole in the 'vaginal vault' that the gyno discovered last Thursday, though I've been leaking steadily since August 28th (my TAH was Aug 11).

I'm praying that you have an excellent recovery. I'm right 'behind' you on this one (no pun intended)!! I'm just waiting for a referral to a uro/gyno so they can DO SOMETHING to fix me up!!!

Anyway, I just want to tell you that I understand the anxious feelings you had prior to surgery..and that I'm praying hard for your recovery.

Blessings to you!
Unread 09-30-2003, 02:06 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

I just got home yesterday from the hospital. My doctor repaired the fistula vaginally and then tested it and it leaked so she ended up going through my abdomen to fix it. I was in surgery about 5 hours. Sometime during the process she nicked my bowel but corrected it. I was very drugged during my hospital stay and don't remember much. I came home with the S P catheter and I haven't had any problems with it. I became nauseated on the trip home (2 hours) and have been a little bit ever since. I think it may be the meds but I'm on so many it's hard to say which one....I'm guessing the pain meds. Starting tomorow home health care will be coming daily to check my catheter and incision. My oldest daughter is staying with my until Thursday and then my boyfriend will be here until Sunday....after that I'm pretty much on my own. Overall I can say I'm doing pretty good, I'm weak and drugged but seem to be moving around better than I did with the hys. In 3 weeks they'll test my bladder to see if the surgery was a success. Up until that point about all I can do is rest, watch tv and use the computer.

Shelly
Unread 09-30-2003, 03:23 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

Shelly,
You poor thing. You have my empathy, sympathy and all that.

Funny thing, after the 3 weeks they took out my foley and just sent me on my merry way. No testing. I thought it a little strange, but no leaks.

I go to Uro/gyno on Thurs and am interested what he has to say. Still feel pressure like I need to go, but don't. Getting better through the nights too. Up to 5 hours at a stretch.

Arlene
Unread 10-01-2003, 08:32 AM
V V Fistula Surgery

Shelly

I am glad you are home and resting...remember to take it slow and do nothing but watch TV etc.- I remember how hard this was, but it does pay off in the end....glad things went well and the repair went OK...I am sending a big hug and keep us posted as to how you are feeling...be well sister
Unread 10-01-2003, 07:18 PM
V V Fistula Surgery

Dear Shelly, welcome back from castle. I had my VVF repair done two weeks ago vaginaly. 4,5 hours in surgery, four days in the castle, was released with 2 stents, foley and supra. One week after surgery stents were removed, today foley is gone. One advice - take it easy. My doc insisted that I need to walk every 2 hours for at least 10 min. I was in a lot of pain, my best 'friend' was B & O suppositories ( belladonna and opium) . They helped me with pain and I did not feel drugged, like with pills.

Good luck to you ,

Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register