No carbonated beverages!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No carbonated beverages!!! No carbonated beverages!!!

Unread 09-23-2003, 08:08 AM
No carbonated beverages!!!

I just read on another post where someone suggested staying away from carbonated beverages after sugery. WHAT!!! For how long????? I have a serious Diet Coke addiction. I don't drink alot, only one a day, but I need it. Truthfully, my body craves it. About 10am everyday, I find myself reaching for one. Don't even need the clock - no matter where I am or what I'm doing I feel the need.

I'm sure I'll have more important things on my mind, but I'm not sure how long I can go without a Diet Coke. I don't want to be going through withdrawal on top of everything else.

And truthfully, it isn't just the caffeine, it's the carbonation. I love the bubbles,. I think they help my stomach feel better.

How soon will I be able to return to carbonation? (No laughing, this is a serious question)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 08:41 AM

Yikes! What? NO DIET COKE???? Glad to know there is another DC junkie out there! *LOL* Whatever will we do if this is true???

Kim (who is going to get a Diet Coke right now!!! *LOL*)
Unread 09-23-2003, 08:42 AM

Hi there,

The biggest problem with soda pop is the bubbles and this is going to add to any gas you will have. Not all ladies get the dreaded gas but most do.

This will be a decision you will have to make when the time comes cuz the gas is painful but mine was controlled with the help of Gas X after checking with my dr. first.

Also there are other things that will add to the problem including drinking from a straw, so if you are wanting to try soda I wouldn't drink it through a straw. One thing at a time.

Take care
Jodi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 09:00 AM

PSUMARY~

First of all, I know EXACTLY what you mean...I'm a cokeaholic as well, but thankfully, I wasn't given those instructions, and a coke was one of the first things I wanted after my surgery.

When I went for my pre-op and found that I was to be on a "clear" liquid diet for TWO DAYS prior, I thought I'd die until the nurse told me that I COULD have my beloved cokes!! I could have kissed her!!

So maybe you won't have to worry about that!!

Are you a Penn State fan?? We're in Alabama, and my son is the BIGGEST PSU fan in the world. He's been to two of their games already.

Anyway, best of luck to you Mary....I'm off to fix me a coke!!

Carol
Unread 09-23-2003, 09:10 AM

From a die-hard Diet Coke addict

I went the coffee/tea route right after surgery because the gas pains were dreadful. I had my first Diet Coke about 2 wks post op and didn't have any trouble at that point.

Good luck ladies
s
Cat
Unread 09-23-2003, 09:11 AM

While I was still in the hospital, the nurses WANTED me to drink soda. They said they wanted to encourage me to have gas. They are really into that! I didn't have any restrictions at home either. Truthfully I am now 2 weeks post op and I haven't even really had much pain from gas. I only used gas-x 2 days.
Unread 09-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Dear Surgerynextwk

Yes, I'm a Penn State fan.....even this year when times are "less than terrific" for the program. My husband and I both graduated from PSU (way back in the 80s when times were good for PSU football)

We have four season tickets and go to the games - even though State College is a 3 hour drive from where we live. We take our children with us (11 year old son and 6 year old daughter) Our son is very into the games, my daughter can't sit still that long. I usually stay home with her for about half of the games. It's too aggrevating to drive all the way up there and have her fuss at me the whole time.

The final straw was the Nebraska game. They hadn't even kicked the ball off yet and she started....I want to leave mom. Ugh.

It must be difficult for your son to be a PSU fan in Alabama. The Crimson Tide has a big, dedicated following.

Lately though, we need all the fans we can get!
Unread 09-23-2003, 11:14 AM

Yes, football is VERY big in Alabama, although I'm a huge Auburn fan. (So I understand about the tough football times!!! After winning against Penn State last year in the Bowl, and losing very few players, I felt sure we'd have a great season this year...and we started out 0-2!! UUgh!!) At least we won our last game, but we have a very tough schedule ahead of us.

I've been to one Penn State game at State College, which was YEARS ago, when Alabama came there to play. My son's great Aunt and Uncle live very close to campus...his Uncle is a Dentist, and his practice is right there near the University. They have season tickets as well, and he and his Dad make the trip often for games.I'm very afarid my son will end up going there to school next year. The school is great, although it just seems so far away!! But it is so funny when folks come to my home and see Penn State stuff everywhere...Not many folks around here venture away from Alabama or Auburn. All his Christmas/birthday gifts come from Penn State's bookstore, or PSU collectible sites, whatever! But it sure makes gift giving easier!! :-)

I don't know if I missed it or not, but when is your surgery, and which type? I hope it all goes well for you...mine was a LAVH on 8/29. In fact, my son was in Pa. that week-end for the 1st game! I said to him that I saw what was more important to him!! :-) Bless his heart, I don't blame him....he offered to stay, but I wouldn't have it, and it worked out fine...

Take care~
Carol
Unread 09-23-2003, 12:25 PM

Cobrakay; did the nurses also listen with the stethascope to your belly? They wanted to make sure things were moving through your bowels and by drinking the coke there was something to hear- gas bubbles.

If the gas pains get bad ask for simethicone, or gas x. But walk walk walk and you shouldn't have problems

do whatever feels ok- your body will let you know in no uncertain terms what you can and can't handle.

Soda, see through juice, broth, tea, naked coffee, popcycles, jello are all concidered clear liquids. Hopefully no one will be on that kind of a diet for very long.

15 years ago the big thing was no ice after surgery cuz it was believed that gave you gas. I didn't believe it and didn't get
Good Luck
Unread 09-24-2003, 10:14 PM

I'm a Diet Coke-aholic............I drank it as soon as I was in my room from the recovery room. I did take colase and gas-x as well but the diet coke didn't seem to bother me at all. Perhaps I was just lucky!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register