Is healing process the same as a C-Section? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is healing process the same as a C-Section? Is healing process the same as a C-Section?

Unread 09-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Is healing process the same as a C-Section?

Hello Sisters!

I will try to make this as short as possible....but so many questions???? Two years ago I felt a pretty big size lump in my stomache. Now I am heavy in the mid-section but when laying on my stomach it felt to me like I was six months pregnant. I went to have a pap done and asked the doctor to check my stomache out to make sure it wasn't a cyst or cancer. She did so and stated that it was ONLY muscle and not to worry. Well 2 years later I went to have another paps done because..this muscle never loosened away. The paps was done by a practitioner. I went through the same thing, explaining about my stomache and asked her to feel it. (My paps came back normal - both times.) When she felt my stomache she became concerned and asked for another opinion of the Doctor on duty and he said that it felt like a lump and said I will need to have a ultrasound done. Well I did that to learn that I have a cystic mass. I guess I always new that something wasnt right and I should have had another opinion done but I was Sooooo wanting to believe that my muscle problem would go away. Well the Dr. referred me our closest City Gyno and he felt my stomache and went on to say that he'll set me up for surgery. I asked him what the cyst was on (nobody telling me anything)? He said it was probably on one of my ovaries..on to say I am young - probably not cancer but could not tell UNTIL they open me up and take it out to have a biopsy done.... and than they would also be able to see if my intestine are ok and everything else - GEEZ.... He said that he would have to find a General Surgeon and than they would set me up with an appoinment. They called two days later and it is set for October 28th. I have heard from other people that blood work can tell if cancer is in your system. No blood work was done for me? Everyone that posts can tell you what they have and where it is. I only know that I have a massive cyst. They might be able to save the other ovary..it depends...if not than he suggested the hysterectomy. I am 39 and dont want anymore children. I already signed the paperwork stating so. I am so SCARED! I whimper while writing this. If I go and have another opinion done..does the Gyno that I was sent to get mad? I don't want bad feelings where he is careless during surgery. About the healing process...Will this surgery be the same as when I had my C-Section for my middle child or will it hurt worse and will I be off my feet longer? Like alot of posts, my fear:

1.) Being afraid of dying during surgery
2.) The pain and length of recovery
3.) Forced on menapause

Sorry - ended up being lengthy after all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 03:30 PM

Marsha,

They are giving you a hysterectomy without doing any kind of Ultra-Sound or bloodwork???? And they're saying they won't know what it is til they take it out????

YES YES YES, go get a second opinion. It's your right. You have plenty of time before your scheduled surgery. Any reasonable doctor would understand you having a second opinion. If you're concerned that he would be careless due to you getting that second opinion, you need to think carefully if he's the one you want doing your surgery anyway.

This is a PERMANENT and life altering surgery. It's not just something that anyone should be taking lightly, particularly the doctor. Please get a second opinion...and a third if you are still not happy with answers. You should be getting better answers than they are giving you.

Please keep us posted.

s
Cat
Unread 09-23-2003, 03:33 PM

wow, I am sorry you had to wait so long , and go thru all of that before the doctors figured out what to do. I would not feel bad at all asking for another opinion. I went to three doctors, two in the same clinic, because I did not get the help or answers I was looking for from the first one. It is your body, and your health. Go for 10 opinions if you want. Sometimes, unfortunatlely we have to push doctors for answers. Don't give up. If you want something done, dont be afraid to ask for it. If you feel your doctor is getting upset because you ask for a second opinion, I would change doctors. As far as the being scared of dying during surgery, there is another recent post that speaks about that. I think everyone feels that way at one time or another. I have found that there are some wonderful people on the hyster sister site, with so much concern, love, information, and comfort, and they share it with everyone. I find reading all the postive posts about how all the ladies come thru their surgeries for the better, very helpful. It gives me something to look forward too. Some pain, and some recovery time is nothing compared to a healthy , pain free , life. Best wishes to you, You will come thru it just fine :dance2:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2003, 05:04 PM

Marsha-
I would get another opion!!! i have seen sooo many doctors!!! until recently i decided on a FULL hyst. takin it all. and im only 27. are you in pain? no ultra sound,bloodwork>>?? anything? i also had a mri once too determine if a cycts of mine ruptured and on which ovarie.
i would think if i was you, maybe another opion. and i cant belive you have been dealing with this for sooo long!!! i hope all goes well...youll be in my prayers!!!
BIG HUGS~
Dawn xoxo
Unread 09-23-2003, 05:06 PM

I am sorry you are going through all of this. I agree with the others, get a second opinion. You need to be worked up completley before you make such a major decision.

As for the recovery, mine is nothing like my c-section. This is much more painful and in depth than my c-section ever was. Expect the recovery to last longer as well. I am only 8 days out and I definately have pain, am moving slow, can do very little. Each person is different though. You may bounce right back if you decide to have teh surgery. No-one can tell you how you will feel.

Hope this helps.

Cindy
Unread 09-23-2003, 05:19 PM

I know you are scared and don't want to make waves with any of the doctors but this is your body. You have every right to get a second or third opinion until you feel comfortable.

If you have a good doctor he or she will neither be mad or upset that you asked for a second opinion. Don't be afraid to ask questions, ask and ask and ask until you are satisfied.

Keep us posted and take one day at a time
Unread 09-23-2003, 11:54 PM
You all are :angel: 's to me!!!

Thank You all for your fast reponse! I need to clear up a misake. I did have an ultra sound done and that is how they confirmed that there is a large cystic mass. I, however, did not have any blood work done. I have decided to take your advise and have the second opinion done. Perhaps I will just have the hysterectomy done just so I do not have any problems in the future - that is with cysts or cancer. I guess I will need to look up the after effects of hormone inbalances and so forth.

I feel so much better and blessed by GOD that I found this site. Somebody sent me in the right direction.

I will look into the post-op area for the recovery of others to get my boost. The success stories ought to do it.

I will keep you all posted on what is going on. I have my first appointment with the General Surgeon on Oct. 7th. Perhaps this would be my visit to get the facts? Than I have Pre-Op on Oct. 22nd than onto the Castle the 28th! Whew! :eyes:

Again to all you wonderful gals - hugs and kisses

Marsha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register