Can Someone Help?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can Someone Help?? Can Someone Help??

Unread 09-24-2003, 06:20 PM
Can Someone Help??

Hello all. This is my first time in the cancer concerns. I just got back from my DR. today and I have 3 very large blood filled cysts, and about 6 little ones. I had a hyst. 2 yrs ago, lost left ovary/tube last Nov. and now my right ovary is being attacked. I have Endo and that is why I had my hyster.
My dr. put me on meds for 2 weeks, I have to come back and have another ultra-sound done. He said it didn't look like canerous but he would know more when I had another ultra-sound done.
I am only 29 and I am scared to death. My cousin had ovarian cancer but caught it really early and is fine today.
I just want to know if this has happened to anyone else?? I am in need of some information. I am surfing the net, but for someone who would know how this feels make it better to understand.
I am taking progestrin for 2 weeks and going back in, but if the pain gets really bad and I can't get out of bed, then I have to call him and go straight to the hospital. That is what scares me the most.
He said on the ultra sound it was mess in there but was hoping this medicine could help so he could see a lot more.
Help? Help?

Belinda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2003, 09:45 PM
Not Much Help but Hope in Plenty!

Dear Belinda:
They say the waiting is the hardest part, that seems to be the rule. I hope and that these 2 weeks aren't too hard on you.
I am not sure what it all means, but I do know that you must try not to worry too much in the meantinme. I know, I know, it's easier said than done, but worry does effect the immune system greatly! ( I should know )
I am not exactly familiar with your specific situation myself, but I certainly know what the waiting is like! Please take a break these two weeks, and get plenty of rest. And above all; please try not to worry too much!!
You and your are right on track and quick to take the steps that are needed. So, take it easy and know there are many who's thoughts are with you.

A Hyster Friend in West Virginia
Unread 09-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Can Someone Help??

((((Belinda)))):

Your description sounds very much like those cysts are endometriomas, cysts caused by endometriosis. They can be very complex, and your CA-125 can be pretty high (mine was 200) but if they are endometriomas, they are benign.

The pain that the doctor is describing to you would be because one of the cysts had ruptured -- this can be very painful, and can "seed" endomtrial cells, so generally they'll put you on some activity restrictions (for me, it was no lifting and no sex) to protect yourself.

The progestin is an attempt to shrink the abnormal endometrial tissue that is found in endometriosis, and if that second ultrasound shows that the cysts have shrunk, that may well answer the doctor's questions about what is causing them.

Remember that ultrasound can't actually confirm cancer...but given your history, and that the cysts are fluid-filled, it's likely that they're "benign" (although I have a hard time thinking of severe endo -- which I have -- as being totally "benign" given that it forms its own blood supply and causes so much misery).

Has your doctor done a CA-125? It's far from perfect, and in endo can be pretty elevated. But if the unthinkable happens, you'd be able to use the CA-125 to track your progress.

I find that although waiting is the hardest, if I keep busy and active, it at least progresses a little faster -- and I don't have time to obsess quite so much about the "what-if's" (around here, they call that cancerhead). And if those cysts are endometriomas, you may be able to opt for a laparoscopic procedure that also looks at any more endomtrial implants and "cleans" them up.

Take care, and let us know what that followup ultrasound shows, OK?

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register