Any here had a CT Scan on Pelvis/Abdomen? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any here had a CT Scan on Pelvis/Abdomen? Any here had a CT Scan on Pelvis/Abdomen?

Unread 09-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Any here had a CT Scan on Pelvis/Abdomen?

I'm having a ultrasound tomorrow to check on my remaining ovary. My doctor had also mentioned possibly having a CT Scan. If the pain isn't from my ovary, I am thinking about having it done. I am sick of the pain and wondering what it is. He said he was checking for diverticulitis. However the pain is on both the right and left sides. I understand that diverticulitis pain in on the left side. Also, there is a possibility of adhesions. I understand that adhesions will not be detected in this test. I was wondering what all is involved in a CT scan. I am worried about it making me sick to my stomach. I really think I have another laparascopy in future. I fear losing my ovary. I've been trying to hold onto as long as I could.

I'm also getting a breast ultrasound tomorrow. I've had a history of fibroadenomas. Hopefully this is just another benign thing. It seems when it rains it pours.

Oh the btw, the pain I am having feels like menstrual cramps. I feel like I need to go put a pad on. Anyone else have this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2003, 01:03 PM

I had a CT scan of the pelvis/abdomen today . . . and it was a breeze. I loved my tech guy -- explained everything very well and really eased my tension. What they did was -- I had to drink this "stuff" the night before and this morning . .It is a chalky barium stuff they have tried to disguise with a fruity taste. . . Really wasn't that bad . . It is to show your digestive tract easily on the scan . . . Then when I got there, you have pull your pants down if they have metal zippers or buckles, but you get to leave your panties on. You lay on this table and they start an IV (mine with with contrast, which is why they did this). The IV is some kind of iodine or whatever stuff that is warmed so it will not shock your blood vessels and will flow evenly through your entire body. When they start the stuff - you will feel it going through your body . . it is kinda weird, but not bad. He stayed with me while it was going in to make sure no discomfort . . . Gave me a taste of cheap vodka in my mouth, and it was weird to feel the warmth move through my body -- but not an unpleasant experience at all. Once the machine starts -- you hold your breath for a few 25 second intervals, and you are done. It is not like an MRI where you get claustrophic -- your head is never in anything - machine is open at both ends with just your mid section in it. Hope this explained it - the unknown is much scarier than the known . . and this was a breeze! Easier than an ultrasound - no full bladder with someone pushing on it! ha
Unread 09-25-2003, 03:04 PM

Dara,
I've had MANY CT Scans and for me they were a piece of cake. In fact, I am having another on Monday. It's basically just like getting an xray except that you lay on a table and they lay you down on a table and the table slides thru the donut. If the CT Scan is with contrast they will make you drink some stuff that tastes a bit like ginger ale mixed with seven-up. You will probably also have an IV inserted in which they flow iodine thru your veins. For me, it was totally painless.

You are correct in that if your problem is adhesions they probably will not show up on the test. However, if something else is going on it may show. I always feel it is best to rule out all possibilities.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2003, 03:59 PM
Hugs

Hi,
I' ve had two CT scans - the first one for diverticulitis. although diverticulitis is generally felt on the left side, it can hurt everywhere and in my case it felt like cramps moving from left to right. The process of the scan itself isn't too bad at all like the others said. I hope you get some answers soon.
Love, Light, Blessings
Druid
Unread 09-25-2003, 09:57 PM

Hi Dara! I've had a couple of abdominal CT's done for diverticulitis also. My experience was pretty much the same as the other ladies have described... liquid prep the night before, another drink the morning of (that one was horrid but I was able to just chug it down), IV contrast (warm sensation, makes you feel as though you wet yourself only you really haven't) and it was all over pretty quickly and painlessly.

As (((Druid))) mentioned, diverticulitis can be felt in various places in the abdomen but it is usually stronger over on the lower left. For me, the pains were more like labor pains than cramps (i.e. the same type of pain but much stronger). And they were accompanied by cycling fevers.

My first CT did show the presence of diverticulitis, although not to the extent that it showed in a barium enema that was done later on. The CT shows the outside of the GI tract pretty well but is not so good at looking at the inside, so whether it can help diagnose your problem depends on what the problem turns out to be. It's a pretty easy test though, and hopefully it will help.

Good luck - let us know how it goes, OK?
s,
-Linda
Unread 09-25-2003, 11:28 PM
Hi Dara,

I had a CT Scan of my pelvis and abdomen and had to drink several large cups of the chalky stuff immediately before the scan -- mine was crystal light mixed with barium, I think. One thing that no one mentioned to me is that about 2-3 hours after you take it, it will totally, completely clean out your bowels. I didn't have alot of abdominal cramping with this, but I went to dinner and rather wish I would have stayed home instead.

Good luck,
I hope they find useful information,
With love,
Loretta
Unread 09-26-2003, 12:00 AM

Hi Dara,

A CT Scat is just that, a scan. you'll lay on a cold hard "bed" table, and it will go into a "tube" and there will be a red laser light positioned above the area(s) they want pictures of, they'll have you hold your breath while the take each picture. NO PAIN.

Good luck.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register