Home from castle/Path report | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home from castle/Path report Home from castle/Path report

Unread 09-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Home from castle/Path report

Hi Ladies -

It took me a while to figure out how to get back in after the server crash. I didn't get to read the private messages you sent on my surgery date but thanks to those who e-mailed me.
Had the catheter out yesterday - whooppee!
Dr called yesterday too - path report came back and my cancer was as she thought a grade I stage 1a. I am doing the happy dance (not literally - hehe - as I hurt!).
My urethra was straightened during surgery and bladder tacked.

The castle stay wasn't fun. Spent six hours in critical care because my blood pressure was low. No-one would tell my DH what was going on and he was really stressed. Surgery was at 830a - got to my room at 630p.
Spent two days with a 102 degree fever.
Nurses were mostly wonderful. Food inedible. I am trying to figure out why they would give people in recovery food that consists mostly of salt and sugar!
So happy to be home - am being thoroughly pampered by my DH. He brought a bed downstairs - our staircase is steep - and we ended up investing in a memory foam for the bed. I was in agony from back pain the first few nights home, and the foam helped enormously.
Jan (Jads)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2003, 02:37 PM
STage 1 Grade 1A

It sounds as though they got this quite early. Pamper yourself and don't overdo--sore is right! You'll be amazed where you can hurt. As for the hospital food--don't get me started. Why they think anyone in his or her right mind would want lime jello, broth, black coffee, and still partly frozen apricot juice, especially for breakfast--well, that says it all.
Unread 09-25-2003, 04:01 PM

Thanks Margaret! My Dr is sending me for BRAC testing in a few weeks.(grandmother and greataunt both died from ovarian cancer).

I plan to write letters to anyone who will listen about the hospital food. I didn't even get juice - it was high fructose corn syrup with cranberry flavoring. They also brought me milk with each meal - even though I had filled out the form saying I was allergic to all dairy products. My hubby and best friend brought me some home made strained soup and some herbal teas which helped a lot! The broth was inedible and I refused to eat it. Yuk. The nurses actually gave me a hard time for not eating anything.
Jan (Jads)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2003, 08:04 PM

Jan
My gyn suggested genetic testing. She said that new research is showing a link between endometrial (uterine) cancer and colon cancer. My dad had colon cancer twice both times cured. My brother and sister are much older than i am and both have had benign colon polyps and my brother had two precancerous colon polyps. My gyn said the testing would be primarily for my children to know more about their medical situations. I am opting to wait at this time to have it done....I had a colonoscopy before the hyst and everything was fine. I will have the test repeated in a few years to make sure all is still well.
Unread 09-29-2003, 04:37 AM

Great news that you are back home and all is well. Just remember to take it easy! We have the same staging and dx so let me know what your follow ups involve. On Wednesday i am having a scan and mammogram. Ive had my blood tests, inc thyroid, and they are all normal. They just wont give me a vaginal smear as they insist it isnt necessary so will be interested to hear if you have one.

take care

Unread 09-29-2003, 07:25 PM

Hi Sheila - my first post-op is next week.
My Dr did tell me she will be doing a vaginal smear at the six month mark as endometrial/uterine cancer is more likely to occur in the vaginal wall if anywhere.
Is that what others have been told?

Has anyone in the group had a 'Lynch gene' or BRAC test? If so were you able to get your insurance to pay for it?

Jan (Jads)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register