Ovarian Cysts | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovarian Cysts Ovarian Cysts

Unread 09-26-2003, 12:20 PM
Ovarian Cysts

Hey Y'all (yes, I am from Tennessee . . .) - Am hoping someone here can give me the easy answer -- as I am unable to determine it from my amateur research on internet. I went for pelvic ct yesterday (I was posting under Chronic Pelvic Pain), and today my GP says I have 3-4 cysts, 1 cm in size. 1cm sounds awfully small to me . . . . Is it possible for that to be causing so much pain? I do go for ultrasound on Monday, and see NEW gyno on Tuesday (not going back to my old one who did my hysterectomy in May - left my ovaries - and then when I went back with continued pain totally dismissed it as "good old fashioned lower back pain") . . . How big is an ovary? How big does a cyst have to be before it causes pain? Thanks....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2003, 01:24 PM
Ovarian Cysts

Ih nash, Another Tn girl here. I thought I replied to this post awhile ago and it disappeared on me. here goes again. I am not sure how big my cysts were they didn't tell me. I guess I should ask them.My gyn said that my fallopian tubes were swollen larger than my ovaries were,though. I know mine were causing a lot of pain, I got to were I could hardly walk for a while. I was walking like Sophia on Golden Girls. LOLI felt a lot better after I had them out. I still am not feeling reall good and have to start work again monday, but at least I can stand up straight now.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

You're getting old when you get the same
sensation from a rocking chair that you once got
from a roller coaster.
Unread 09-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Ovarian Cysts

Hello again Nash!

I too suffered with those cysts on my ovaries. And they are very painful. The size doesn't matter. Some of mine were bursting and the dr said that was what was causing all the pain in my abdamon as well as my lower back pain.

The only thing I could ever find out about the size of the ovaries on the net was they are about the size of a walnut.

I am glad you are going to another GYN. The ultrasound will tell them everything. I would ask them to do a doppler ultrasound. Can't really explain what its for but according to my new GYN they are better than the regular ones.

My old GYN put me on bc pills to try and shrink them, but they didn't work. Go figure.

I am from Nashville too if you need me I will be here for you. I will keep you in my prays. Do let me know what the DR says.

((((hugs)))))
Sugar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi Nash........

I'm not from Tennessee but I used to spend every summer in Nashville...BEAUTIFUL place!! and I say ya'll too..(Florida girl)

Anyway.....Sugarbunnie is right and the size of the cyst usually doesn't matter..all cysts usually cause pain to some degree but the larger ones tend to cause more pain. Thank goodness you switched DR's!! I had a quack once too.

I was sent for a doppler ultrasound and was told the reason for the dopplar as opposed to the regular US is that the doppler shows bloodflow and can differenciate between (sometimes) what kind of cyst it is...i.e simple cyst, complex cyst, chocolate cyst and whether the cyst has a bloodflow going to it which supposedly gives them more info about the cyst so I agree that a doppler US can be a better quality US in that respect.

Wish I could be of more help to you and I hoe you are feeling better soon. I ahd a cyst that showed 18cm on US by the time I was able to find a new Dr (the size of a cantelope). Be sure that you get a copy of all your US results in your hand for your records!!!

lots of

Dawn
Unread 09-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Ovarian Cysts

Dear Nash,
I am so glad to hear your update and that you have found a new doctor.

I am not from Tennessee but I did spend 2 weeks there when I was in highschool and we visited Opryland and had a great time... ooohhh that was a long time ago.

I haven't experienced a painful cyst... but I do know the ovaries are very small so several 1cm cysts on a "walnut" would quite overwhelm it I would think. A friend of mine had only one small endo cyst but it caused her alot of pain... apparently because it would leak blood which is very irritating to the insides. Hers was not very big just really painful!!

Please keep us posted.... Let us know how the new doctor is too. I do hope this is your off ramp

Sarah
Unread 09-27-2003, 04:44 AM
Ovarian Cysts

I have cysts on my right ovary that cause me horrible pain at times. I have an appointment with my surgeon Tuesday, for a consultation and to set up a surgery date. I'm not looking forward to surgery again but, don't want to go through rupturing cysts again, owww!
The funny thing is, is that I had cysts on the ovary before surgery and went in thinking it was coming out with my uteris. But when the surgeon went in he said the cysts were gone and it looked fine so he left it. I was in Wal-Mart about a week before surgery when they popped. I pretended to be studying candles, cause I was in so much pain I couldn't move. Good thing it was hot out so the sweat that broke out my face and back didn't look unusual. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register