Problem? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Problem?

Hi: This may sound silly but after reading most of your posts, it seems as though most of you have had abdominal surgery for your hyster. and I didn't. I went in thinking I only had complex hyperplasia after a uterine biopsey with the recommendation of a a LAV total hysterectomy to treat a precancerous condition. I left the hospital thinking everything was fine, only to find out two weeks later I had cancer of the uterus, stage 1. Tues. (23rd) I went for a CAT scan, just as a precaution according to my dr. and now am nervously awaiting the results. I have to return every 3 months for pap smears for the next year, than every 4, then 6 months. My dr.says that the hyst. is the treatment for this cancer and because we caught it early I shouldn't need any more treatment.

Is it bad that I didn't have the regular surgery? I am just so scared and upset. It's been 7 weeks since surgery, and 4 and 1/2 weeks since I heard the dx. I just can't accept what is happening to me (as if I had a choice), and feel like I've been punched in the gut everytime I think of it. Also, I seem to be still sort of sore across my whole stomach and seem to be more gassy too? Is that normal? I've resumed everything I was doing before, except maybe exercising because I just can't find the motivation. I have such fatalistic thoughts. Had a post-op at 5 and 1/2 weeks and he said everything looked fine and to do whatever I felt like doing. Sorry this is so long, but I just don't feel like me anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2003, 02:43 PM
Problem?

Hi Nancy,,

My question to you is,,,"Was your surgeon an oncologist gynocologist"??

I am sure that all doctors have their preferences but according to mine, the best way to do a hysterectomy is an abdominal hyst because then they can really see what is doing inside.

Hope all will be well... The waiting for test results really is the worst.

Rosalie
Unread 09-26-2003, 03:48 PM
Problem?

Hi Rosalie: Thanks for your prompt response. No, my gynocologist is not also an oncologist. When he did the hyst., he really felt there was just the problem of complex hyperplasia, and I had already had the dx from a uterine biopsy, and a normal pap. Plus, I had no symptoms, except a regular period aften no periods for 18 months. I was definetly a slow starter on the menopause trail, however, I was almost symptom free too, and I felt like I was just breezing along this road of my life. Wham, I sure did hit a speed bump. I'm lost, scared, depressed, and so uncertain of the future, or even if there is a future. My dr. did consult with a gyn/onc. who told him the procedures and treatment outlined were what he would have done. Logically, I know I'm my own worst enemy but I just feel stuck. I read the other posts and know I don't have it so bad, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

Nancy Ann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Problem?

Please try not to worry. I had complex hyperplasia with atypia, but I too still have to go every 3 months. The important thing is to keep your appointments go faithfully and if anything is brewing they will catch it in time.

Don't let life slip you by worrying about what might happen. I had a gyn with an oncologist on standby and I had endometrial cancer stage 1A. It was caught early.

Your doctor sounds like he/she is taking every precaution to take care of you. Question him about whatever is bothering you.

""
Unread 09-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Problem?

Dear Marianne: Thanks for your post, our dx does sound somewhat the same. Did you have the bladder problem first, than the uterine cancer? Did you have symptoms? I guess I was just overconfident because my dr stressed that complex hyperplasia was not cancer. I now know that biopsies do not always show everything. Thus, I am very anxiously awaiting the results of a recent CAT scan. Although I don't have a choice, I just can't accept that this is happening to me. I sure could use a good dose of courage, confidence, and optimism. I think my dh is getting pretty tired of trying to shore me up, and I don't blame him. As Dr. Phil would say, "How's this working for you?" Answer -- not very well. I presume I have a real bad case of cancerhead.

Nancy Ann
Unread 09-28-2003, 05:18 PM
Problem?

(((Nancy Ann)))

Worry - while completely normal now, will do you no good, and based on what you knew at the time, you did the right thing. Your gyn sounds caring and concerned.

If it would put your mind at ease, why don't you have your pathology and CT reviewed by a gyn oncologist. This is not very unusual, and if s/he concurs with your gyn's follow-up routine, then you have peace. If the gyn/onc suggests something different, then you will know.

Dorrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register