My Rad-Onc's Response To Dilator Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Rad-Onc's Response To Dilator Question My Rad-Onc's Response To Dilator Question

Unread 09-26-2003, 06:21 PM
My Rad-Onc's Response To Dilator Question

Hello All--

At my appointment with my radiation-oncologist yesterday, I asked whether I needed to continue using the vaginal dilator indefinitely. When she originally prescribed it after completion of internal and external radiation, she never mentioned a timeframe after which I could discontinue using it, and I never saw any time period mentioned in any cancer resource. I had therefore assumed (incorrectly) that it was a lifelong proposition.

I was pleasantly surprised when she said that I really only needed to have used the dilator for a year or so after completing treatment--which was more than three years ago. She explained that after a year, there would no longer be the potential for scar tissue formation or stenosis (narrowing) of the vagina from the radiation.

So for me, it's definitely a long overdue good bye to "Slim Jim" as I so affectionately refer to my dilator!! I'm certainly glad I asked the question, but I only wish she would have told me this a couple of years ago, and/or that the information would have been available in some literature provided at the time of radiation or in other available cancer resources.

Please be sure to check with your own radiation-oncologists since there might be particular facts and circumstances of your case that warrant a different timeframe than I had.

Best regards.

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2003, 08:47 PM

Hi MoeKay
My doctor suggestsed using that thing too. I had radiation treatments and sex life has been gone to non existent. My husband is so frustrated and upset.I just don't see how it can help. One thing my husbnd wanted to try was the Eroes. Almost the same thing. The doctor did not reccommend it.

Did this dilator reallyl work for you? Are you more comfortable with your husband?(or partner)
Unread 09-27-2003, 04:08 AM

Hi, Valeri--

After radiation treatments for gynecologic cancer, the radiation can cause scar tissue to develop. Radiation also can cause the vaginal canal to narrow. After treatment, radiation oncologists instruct their patients to use vaginal dilators to prevent these post-radiation side effects from occurring. Otherwise, not only will sex be difficult if not impossible, but post-treatment gynecologic examinations will likewise be extremely difficult and very painful.

I followed my rad-onc's instructions about using the dilator after treatment, and as a result, I have not experienced any of these types of problems. I would suggest that you talk further with your doctor about any specific problems you are experiencing and ask her to explain to you why she believes that using a dilator will alleviate your particular symptoms. This should clear up any lingering questions or concerns that you might have.

Good luck!

MoeKay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register