Worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-27-2003, 11:56 AM
Worried

Hi All,

I have a question about some of the tests that are done to rule out ovarian cancer. I had a TAH/LSO on 5/8/03. I have always had pain in my right side not in my left but doc. said I had a large cyst in my right ovary. He said he left my right ovary because of my age (39 yrs). Since the surgery I still have been having pain on my right side. I have constant back pain on that side. I have had trouble eating and digesting food (lots of heartburn). I am anemic per my reg. doc. I have to take an acid reducer med. 3 times a day or I have abdominal pain. I know being anemic is what is causing me to be tired and light headed. I had a CT Scan with constrast done last month and it showed cystic lesions so they scheduled a vaginal ultrasound. I had that done last week my gyn. docs nurse said that he said I have a benign (sp?) cyst and fluid where a cyst might have ruptured. How does he know it is benign just from the ultrasound? He wants another done in 4 to 6 weeks. I am having difficulty getting through my days. I am in bed by 7:30 every night totally exhausted and have lost 15 lbs. since my TAH in May. I know this is long but I don't know where else to turn. I am worried and just want to feel assured. Suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2003, 11:58 AM
correction on my post

I needed to correct what I said in my post. I had a large cyst in my left ovary that is why he removed it...
Unread 09-27-2003, 06:09 PM
Worried

(((Jana))) I'm sorry you are having these extra worries and more pain! About one year ago (about 2 years post TAH) I developed horrible abdominal pain that was deemed to be a cyst. My doc did a CA-125 "just to be sure" along with other blood work and he felt reasonably sure that it was just a fluid/blood-filled cyst. I believe it is usually the solid masses that they see that they are concerned about. He did help me monitor it with ultrasounds, and it gradually resolved over the next 4-6 months. He did tell me if it didn't resolve, he would go in and biopsy it and "take a look around". He's a very conservative doctor, so I trusted him. It worked out for me.

I see you have a diagnosis of endometriosis. Any chance that's an issue here? Are you taking something for your anemia?

I also developed reflux after my TAH. It was an issue for about 9-12 months and then it went away. It is terribly painful at times, isn't it?

As far as the exhaustion, I was also very exhausted for the first 6 months, and then I gradually improved over the next 6-12 months. I still require an extra hour of sleep at night (I used to get 6, now I need 7--and 8 really is better).

I guess I can't really reassure you. I can only tell you that I've had some of your same issues and they have resolved. Please keep in touch with your doctor. If you are uncomfortable with the situation, request a second opinion for peace of mind--it's worth it!

's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Jeanine

Thank you so much for responding. It is helpful to know that you had some of the same symptoms as I am having after the TAH.
I will get my doc. to do a CA-125 just to be on the safe side and and said he wanted to re-do the Ultrasound in 4-6 weeks.
I'm not sure if the endometriosis is an issue, he did say I had some endo. on the right side after my TAH but that he was hoping I could get by because of my age.
Did you take something for the reflux? I have just been taking an over the counter medicine to help.

Thanks again.
Unread 09-27-2003, 08:12 PM
Worried

I propped the head of my bed up 6 inches. That was a huge help. I used Tagamet (at my doctor's recommendation) with my afternoon and evening meals. Then I gradually decreased the Tagamet to only when I was having a troublesome meal (one with tomatoes, or lots of spice). About that time I also started QiGong (similar to Tai Chi) and shortly thereafter, I didn't need the Tagamet anymore. I still keep the head of my bed up 6 inches. You can also get a 24-hour acid reducer over-the-counter now (Prilosec). You might like to ask your doctor about it and see if it's right for you.
Unread 09-28-2003, 11:33 AM
Worried

Hi Jana

Your endometriosis could give an elevated reading on your ca 125. So that is probably not an accurate diagnostic tool for you.

I am not sure how long a ruptured cyst leaves fluid behind that can be spotted on an ultrasound. What does the doctor feel is the reason for your continued anemia?

Keep in mind, you can always get a second opinion from another doctor.

karenann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register