Radiation treatments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation treatments Radiation treatments

Unread 09-27-2003, 06:05 PM
Radiation treatments

Can some of you please tell me what to expect when my radiation
treatments start. I had TAH on July 15 and am being sent to a cancer treatment center on Oct. 6 to discuss treatments. I'm getting nervous now. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Radiation treatments

Hi Dolly

Sorry to hear that you will be needing radiation treatments. I cannot give you any clues about what to expect because I had chemo, no radiation. However, I am sure that lots of others will be along shortly who can set you on the right track.

I just wanted to tell you that chemo is doable and wish you lots of easy treatments.

Rosalie
Unread 09-27-2003, 06:20 PM
Radiation treatments

Thanks Rose. Your a DOLL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2003, 11:43 PM
Hi

Dollie
What stage was your uterine cancer? I had a stage 1a and only needed a hyst...no additional treatment was necessary.
Unread 09-28-2003, 05:12 AM
Radiation Treatment

Hullo... I finished treatment back in May for uterine cancer. I had internal and external treatment and
found both easier to do than I expected. I have a check-up tomorrow with onc. and will post afterwards.
Please get in touch if you have any particular questions.

Lots of luck , Maggie.
Unread 09-28-2003, 05:27 AM
Radiation treatments

Gezzzz I have no idea what stage my cancer was/is. Don't know why I never thought to ask. Maybe I didn't want to know. Thanks for the reply Chris and Maggie. Oh and good luck on your check up and keep us posted.
Unread 09-28-2003, 10:35 AM
been there

Hi Dollie

I just completed radiation treatment. I had 25 (one per day) and 3 internal. Is your external or internal? As to what to expect, for you it's most likely external, seems pretty much normal. You most likely will not notice anything the first 2-3 weeks. (10-15) times. It's very doable but the side affects are progressive. You may experience some nausea, and constipation the opposite. Just tell the dr. and they can give you something to help that. Use baby powder to protect the skin in your bikini area. By the way, a really good side affect is you get a free bikini wax. ;-) I also suggest using baby wipes as needed, as you may get a bit sensitive. Also since your canal may get some shrinkage, as everyone will tell you here who has been through this, be sure to dilate to keep the canal open.

Hope this helps.
Unread 09-28-2003, 12:05 PM
Radiation treatments

I had some different effects fof the radiation. The first day I threw up constantly. I had nausea the next 6 months after treatments as well. The doctor put me on Compazine. It helped a little. All my privacy hair fell out. Some of my head hair fell out. My skin go real dry. I used my baby's lotion. It helps better than adult lotion. My diabetes was thrown way way out of wack. Wheterver happnes to your body after hyster it is postponed by radiation. Sex ? What is that? The surgery took away all sex drives and the radiation compeleted the rest. It was an emotional rollercoaster ride. I was loaded with fatique. It continues to this day. The vaginal canal shrunk. Tryilng to please my DH anyway was horrible pain. Still is. It added more sleep problems. It dlid a lot of damage to my right hand. I cannot touch water. This i do constantlyl changing diapers, using wipes, cleaning dishes, showers and such. It made my blood real thin. Either constipation or the opposite, or even soft stools. The bathroom becomes your best friend for a while. I threw up a lot.

I had both external and 3 internals too. I found it most humiliating to hve the technition lift the hospital gow to make marks on me before he zapped me with nucaar energy. Well that is what radition it. Not only does it kill the bad cells, it kills the good cells. Some good cells some back.

They take pictures of your cancer area to document the radition progress. You lie on this thin table while a big machine that looks like it belongs in NASA rotates around you.

Don't ant to scare youl, but you asked.
Unread 09-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Radiation treatments

Thanks ladies. Somehow I knew it wouldn't be a breeze. I have had complications with every step but I do believe in Miracles so I'm trying to have faith.
Unread 09-28-2003, 03:41 PM
Radiation treatments

Hi, Dollie--

The only long-term side effect I have more than four years after completing internal and external radiation for endometrial cancer is bowel urgency. During treatment I experienced tiredness and diarrhea, lost my pubic hair and found out for the first time I had hemmorhoids. I also had some bladdar symptoms--burning and frequency. For a couple of years afterwards, I had intermittent abdominal attacks, but no one was sure if they were from the radiation or from my surgery or a combination of both.

All the side effects except for the bowel urgency have resolved over the years. As instructed by my radiation-oncologist, I used a vaginal dilator starting right after treatment and by doing so, I was able to prevent both vaginal scar tissue from developing as well as vaginal stenosis (narrowing).

I would suggest you find out the stage and grade of your cancer and why your gyn-oncologist feels you need radiation. I had a number of risk factors for recurrence, but many women who do not have such risk factors do not need radiation for uterine (endometrial) cancer. Your surgeon will be able to explain his/her reason for recommending radiation in your particular case. You might also want to consider obtaining a copy of both your surgical and pathology reports, as these documents contain a lot of useful information and details (including stage and grade) about your case.

Take care.

MoeKay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register