Radiation treatments - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Radiation treatments Radiation treatments

Unread 09-28-2003, 05:47 PM
radiation

I just finished with mine a week ago....I'd be happy to answer any questions you have....you can PM me or email me if you'd like....AndeC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Radiation treatments

Had too add my 2 cents worth...Try not to be too apprehensive...I know everyone is probably different, but I had a really good experience...Didn't have any fatigue till 5 days befor my last treatment and then that was only feeling really Zapped about 4 in the afternoon and it would last for about 3 hours...

I had just a hint of diarrea afew times and the nurse had told me to take Immodeum ...that always took care of it till the next day...or maybe two or three days later...I used the preporation H wipes and they were great if I needed them...

I don't know why it wasn't hard for me. I did eat alot of Yoplait Yogurt which is suppose to keep the good bacteria in the plumbing....i did.nt eat any fruit or vegetables or cereal or wheat bread...They said to eat protien...and carbohydrates...I ate meat chicken fish pasta rice potatoes....I didn't have any nausea...

The treatment only took about 5 min or less....I had 25 external and no internal..for endometrial cancer...as I said befor email me if you want...AndeC
Unread 09-29-2003, 01:47 AM
does it get better

Ladies,

I agree, everyone has different affects. I do have a question. I'm so worried about my vaginal canal as it shrunk, in half. Does it get better? Let painful intercourse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2003, 07:59 AM
I had 29 radiation treatmens, externally.

My experience was not that bad. I had some nauseau and Zofran took care of that. Also immodium worked for the diarrhea - heads up - you can take up to 4 pills at a time if you need to. Nothing that was not treatable. I felt the fatigue at the end - my last week of treatment, and that passes. Everyone here said to me that the apprehension was worse than the experience, and that was true. Good luck with your treatments!
I had no burning of my skin at all, but I did get a yeast infection under my belly which was taken care of by medicine that I applied to the skin area.

I think the biggest pain of it all was getting undressed for the whole five minutes of treatment, and then getting dressed again!

Again, good, good luck. It is very do-able.
Unread 09-29-2003, 04:50 PM
Dryness / redness of the skin from radiation

I had 33 radiation treatments for DCIS (a type of breast cancer). My rad-onc said no lotions primarily because there is alcohol in virtually all lotions. Alcohol is drying to the skin. Was instructed to use 100% aloe vera gel. I did put it on 3 - 4 times per day from day one of treatments and for week or so after. My skin tolerated treatments very well.

Mary D.
Unread 09-29-2003, 08:19 PM
Just adding my 2 cents worth

Hi Dolly,

I finished 25 external treatments and 1 38 hr. internal treatment for endometerial ca in May of this yr. I found the effects of the external tx's to be minimal but as the time went by I felt more tired than usual ( after having a total radical hyst !!! ) and did have some diarrhea, and Imodium work for me. i had no skin irritation but my radiation nurses really kept an eye on that stuff..

It's a really scary time and I'm sure you have a zillion questions. I found for me, that it was really helpful to bring a trusted friend to appointments as an extra set of ears / or secretary to write stuff down. Radiation treatment is very do-able. i worked thru mine. I did sleep alot when I got home. You need to treat yourself gently, ask lots of questions and trust in the part of you that knows what is best for you.

There are so many women here who can answer any questions you have. Please come back and let us know how your appt. goes
Keeping you in thought and prayer............
Unread 09-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Radiation treatments

i used baby lotion because it is very mild to the skin. Radiaition gave me dry skin and tore up my hand.
Unread 09-29-2003, 08:38 PM
Radiation treatments

Thanks Ladies for all your reply's. You all have help to answer so many questions I had. God Bless each and every one of you. Hey your all DOLLS.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register