Help! Abdomen filled with leaking lymphatic fluid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! Abdomen filled with leaking lymphatic fluid Help! Abdomen filled with leaking lymphatic fluid

Unread 09-28-2003, 04:18 AM
Help! Abdomen filled with leaking lymphatic fluid

Has anyone heard of this?
A very dear friend, about 58 years old, just had a complete hyster (uterus + ovaries), not abdominal, but through the vagina.
As she had cancerous polyps, they removed the ganglions in the groin area as well. They were quite confident that all cancerous tissue had been removed.
She was doing fine, & was home but has been re-hospitalised as her abdomen has filled up with lymphatic liquid & it literally leaking through her belly-button & pouring through her vagina (glassfulls at at time).
Her daughter has been giving me the details.
The doctors have been considerate & kind, but are unable to say more than that this is a very rare condition (after all their scans etc), & that once the "hole" created inside has healed, it will be OK....
But they have no time span to offer, & said it may even take a few months for the liquid to be reabsored & expelled.
She was doing fine till this happened & is now depressed as there seems to be no end in sight.
has anybody heard or gone through this ?
Please do let us know! She is someone I love dearly & is on my mind...
Thank you, Pia

Unread 09-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Help! Abdomen filled with leaking lymphatic fluid

Hi Pia,

I can understand how concerned you must be for your friend. I think it's possible that this situation seems much worse than it is in terms of how much of a threat it is to this woman's health. Please understsand I am no expert, but I did have surgery a few months ago for an abdominal hernia. Fluid accumulation and drainage is an expected side effect of such surgery. I personally was fortunate and did not experience even as much drainage as was anticipated. However, many people do have more accumulation and from what I understand it is not a comfortable thing to have happen. My doctor said he would only aspirate once or twice and if fluid continued to accumulate he would leave it to my body to take care of it by absorbing it over time. I don't know how well this correlates with what your friend is experiencing, but I thought I'd mention it. You might be able to find other information about such things on the web. Unfortunately, as we all know, any surgery has its risks and although most of us come out of it OK, there are always the exceptions. Hopefully your friend will recover soon. If she understsands that what she is experiencing has been experienced by others she might be somewhat relieved.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register