Going back to work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work Going back to work

Unread 09-28-2003, 09:47 PM
Going back to work

I have just decided to have the hysterectomy that my doctor recommended 12 years ago. The pain and unexpected bleeding has become more than I can handle. My main concern is being able to go back to work sooner than the doctor says. I work in a hospital in the Radiology department. I am one of two people who maintain our computers and Radiology Information system. I take call every other week. I can usually handle any problems from home by remotely accessing the hospital server from home. I really do not think that I can be off of work for 6 weeks. Is it an unreal expectation to go back to work in 3 weeks, even if my husband gets me there? Possibly part time? How will I be feeling at that time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Going back to work

debnance,

Hi. I'm 3 wks post op and there is no way I could be up and on my feet all day. I had SAH/BSO.

We're all different in how we heal externally, but it does take 6-8 weeks for the initial healing on the outside, and it takes up to a year to be fully healed inside. At 3 weeks, I'd hazard to guess you'll still be having a tender tummy and swelly belly, you'll still get tired easily. You're going to have trouble bending, stretching, twisting....just getting in and out of the car (riding, not driving) is still work for me. You also won't want to be sitting for long lengths of time...it gets uncomfortable. If you do any of the radiology, you'll most likely have trouble leaning over the table and helping people get moved to the right positions.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but I just wanted you to realize this is major surgery. It's not usually a "bounce back" and be back to normal in just a couple weeks.

Please talk to your doctor about what kind of restrictions he'll have on you and for how long.

s
Cat
Unread 09-29-2003, 05:42 AM
Going back to work

Hi

I had a TAH/BSO. As long as 6-8 weeks post op I still tired pretty easily, and quite often needed an afternoon nap, especially if I had been out and about in the morning.

There is also "brain fog" to consider. It is an aftereffect of surgery, anesthesia, and narcotics. It is a HysterSisters term for the inability to concentrate. I typically read anything I can get my hands on, but for at least the first two weeks I couldn't concentrate long enough to read even a very short magazine article. I also do counted cross stitch and it was about 3 weeks until I could work on it at all, then not for long.

Going back to work before your DR ok's it is not a good idea. Also in a lot of instances you have to have a release from your DR saying you are cleared to return to work. This is to protect the employer, in case you do too much, they can't be held liable for any injuries.

A hyst is major surgery, no matter what type of procedure is performed. With any hyst there is internal sutures, etc that have to heal, and you can't see how they're doing. Ligaments that have to be cut and moved have to have ample time to heal. Doing too much too soon can cause complications that may take weeks, months, or even years to show up - things like incontinence, prolapses, hernias.

Another HysterSister's saying is "you only get one chance to heal right".

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2003, 07:00 AM
Going back to work

I returned after 4 weeks at home. I sit at a computer all day & I was tired when I got home every day for the first couple of days I eventually got used to it.

I had TVH with A&P reapirs so my main pain is sitting. My doctor said I could go back to work when I felt up to it.
Unread 09-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Going back to work

Hi Debnance

You say you don't feel you can take enough time off? Yet you are a key person in a hospital. Hmmmmmm......

But....and this is important....if you do not give yourself enough time to heal properly, if you go back too soon and do something in the course of your job- twist wrong, have to help a patient who weighs twice as much as you ) or do you do any patient care? if not so much the better but if you don't take enough time to heal properly you could be paying for it for a long time with set-backs etc. Which could mean more time off in the long run than if you had taken the minimum (usually 4 weeks) to begin with.

What if you telecommuted, as far as the computer goes. that way you could be at home, but stilll take a couple hours a day to do the computer stuff they need done?

I would urge you to take the time to really evaluate what you do there on a daily basis before you make a decision on going back too early.

Could you atart back early but at just 4 hours a day?
Can your department be flexable? You could work up to the full time hours?

Whatever you decide, make sure it is what you need and try not to let others expectations push you into a decision you are not prepared for.

Well, whatever you decide we will all support you in your decision. When is your surgery?

Glad you are here...

Dilu
Unread 09-29-2003, 10:54 AM
Going back to work

I had a TAH/BSO about five and a half weeks ago - with a vertical incision. I have been feeling alot better and did try to go back to work last week as I own the company and so have some incentive to get back to work sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately I think you will find that while the spirit is willing, the flesh is weak so to say - I thought I could do it but was wiped after the four hours and spent the rest of the day in bed very sore and very tired.

My work is mainly at a desk - can't imagine trying to lift and shift people around in a radiology clinic at this point......I'm back trying again today, but I can tell you that I find that sitting is the hardest part - and yes, there is the brain fog to contend with......if you can - try to plan to go back part time. When they say six weeks - they know what they are talking about!
Unread 09-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Going back to work

I appreciate the feedback. I need to clarify what I do at work. I do not lift patients in Radiology. I am strictly a computer person. Nothing strenuous. So hopefully, that will allow me to come back to work sooner, even part time. My dilema is that I don't have enough sick time to take a full 6 weeks. I have to have the operation and can not afford to take any time without pay.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register