adhesions??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-01-2003, 09:28 AM
adhesions???

Hi all. As a follow up to a few weeks ago, after tests, tests, and more tests, my dr. has come to the conclusion that the pain I've been having for the past month might be adhesions. She came to this conclusion after all my "tests" came back normal. Worse yet, she had the nurse tell me the results - like since it was normal, why waste her time talking to me. Why do they make you feel like you're making the pain up? I hate that. When I complained to the nurse that just because my results were normal, doesn't mean I still don't have pain, she finally got the dr. to call me back- who reprimanded me for complaining to her nurse. I just started crying. She now wants to discuss having a laparoscopy or a laparotomy to look inside. I just feel horrible right now. Has anyone had a lap for adhesions recently? How does it feel, and will I have to be out of work? Did the lap work, or did the adhesions come back, and how soon did they come back? Thanks everyone!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2003, 09:42 AM
adhesions???

Dear Laurayock,

It is really frustrating when the test results that can be done non-invasively all seem to come back "normal"... and then to have the doctor respond in that fashion does seem to compound the frustration.

I have had laps done and had adhesions cut (or whatever the medical term is...) and endo lasered. I never had much pain relief though because it turned out that what the surgeon could see was not what was causing my pain all the time. In the end I had a conscious pain mapping done which revealed what really was hurting. After I took the pain mapping video to my regular Gyn he did take me alot more seriously!!... and has never doubted me since then.

I hope you are able to find an answer. If you don't feel confident in your current Gyn, you can always try a second or third opinion. Your story makes me cringe when you describe your doctor chastising you for wanting to talk directly to her and not through a third person (the nurse). That would make me somewhat wary - but you know her better.

Please let us know what you decide!! We are here to listen!!

Sarah
Unread 10-01-2003, 10:52 AM
(((( LAURAYOCK)))))

I feel and can relate to your pain and frustration. I have been suffering from Adhesions for the past few years... I had a laparoscopy in April to remove the adhesions, and at that time, no barrier method was used. My adhesions came back within 8 weeks, and the pain has increased. Unfortunately alot of doctors don't want to deal with adhesions because what helps those of us that have them, can also cause more.... Surgery! There is alot of information about adhesions on adhesions.org , or bombobeach.com . There has been some success with various types of surgeries over sea's... But the barrier SprayGel is not available here yet, and most doc's don't want to do these surgeries unless medically necessary, and they don't always recognize PAIN as a reason! LET THEM LIVE IN THE SHOES OF AN ADHESIONS SUFFERER ONE DAY!!! I am going back for one last attempt at lessening my adhesions in November. This time he will try the barrier Interceed.

Your doctor should not have reprimanded you for speaking your frustrations with the nurse. But as someone once told me, and adhesion sufferer is a doctor's worst nightmare! Because they are for the most part helpless in the fight against adhesions and their pain.

Good luck to you, and check out the links! Another good site is adhesions.de (This is a site by a doc in Germany)...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2003, 11:00 AM
adhesions???

Since Susie mentioned it... my doctor has always used Interceed. I have not had too many troubles with adhesions... just a few usually. THe only time I had major adhesions was between my uterus and my bladder ... that appears to have been caused by the terrible adenomyosis I had on the front of my uterus... right where it pressed up next to my bladder.

So I do think that Interceed has helped me but it is hard to know how much was the Interceed and how much was just the way I am put together and the skill of the surgeon.

Sarah
Unread 10-01-2003, 11:08 AM
Thanks Sarah!

You give me some hope that MAYBE I can see some improvement in my situation with the use of Interceed. And heck, it is worth a shot, even though it works for some and not others... You said it right, each person is different, and the skill of the surgeon plays a big part in the whole thing as well. I am counting the weeks until my second procedure. I am tired of spending my quality time on the couch. I wish SprayGel was approved here, but who knows how much longer that is going to take... Geesh...
Unread 10-01-2003, 01:20 PM
adhesions???

Could some one explain what Interceed is? I'd like to hear about this before I have my apt. on the 16th so I can discuss using this method (?) with my dr. Thanks everyone for replying. It's so very frustrating to have this pain, and it's so good to talk to others about similar circumstances. It's helpful and comforting. laura
Unread 10-01-2003, 01:38 PM
adhesions???

Hi Laura,

I don't know "exactly" what it is made of... but it is a product that the surgeon can place over tissue that has been operated on so that the tissue will not get stuck to something else. These are also called "barriers"... maybe think of it like an internal bandaid. I do believe the body absorbs them over time.

I think "Johnson & Johnson" makes Interceed. Maybe their web page has information on it.

..or maybe Susie has more details. She seems to be quite up on the adhesion problem (unfortunately for her ).

s

Sarah
Unread 10-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Here is a link with some good info

http://www.gynecare.com/Logc/logc_co...m&v=2293399118

Try this link it has some good info about adhesions and Interceed. You can also search the web on INTERCEED. But basically Sarah is right, it is placed at the surgical site inside, and can be done via the laprascope by a skilled laparoscopist, it does not have to be done via laparotomy. The barrier is used to make it slimy so that adhesions don't form there. It is then absorbed by the body and is gone. It is NOT a guarantee, as stated it works for some and not others... But I feel in my personal opinion it is worth a try. I have heard others that have had success with it being used.

Good Luck to you... I learned most of what I know by searching on words like adhesions, adhesiolysis, Interceed.... And visiting the sites I listed in my previous post.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register