Anyone with restless leg syndrome? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with restless leg syndrome? Anyone with restless leg syndrome?

Unread 10-03-2003, 08:56 AM
Anyone with restless leg syndrome?

Jude! so good to hear from you my friend! I've been wondering how you're doing!

I knew that some of us had this but I couldn't remember who....hmm wonder if there is some link sure seems predominant in hysterctomized women eh?

Good to know you didn't react to the Mirapex, cause as you know I"m just like you, if there is a reaction to be had, I'll have it, did it make you sleepy at all? I'm on 1/2 .25mg to start and then he said if that didn't help to bump it up to .25mg.

Also good to know about the sleep study, I have to be there at 9:30 and they say they give you an hour to get settled in and then they come in and hook you up.....and then they leave you till 6:30 or so in the morning.....will be interesting to see what I do....I do sleepwalk, and talk I know that much!

hang in there dear sister and I will email, I've missed you! 's & 's!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2003, 03:15 PM

Hi yall,

I'm a RLS person too. I didn't notice it getting real bad until I was recovering from the second surgery (see signature line).

I think my RLS came about because I was such an active person and then because of the fistula and being unable to be active for such a long time it developed.

I am taking Klonapin at night and Darvocet for pain. It's getting worse. I was taking 40mgs of Prozac and I was told that Prozac can cause RLS to worsen so now I'm down to 20mgs and waiting to try a new anti depressant but it's a special order....<sigh>

I was given Mirapex by a neurogist who didn't have a clue and didn't have me wean of Klonapin and I was miserable....so I stopped the Mirapex and continued with the Klonapin....which knocks me out at night time!

Many doctors don't have a clue about RLS. I joined a group on yahoogroups.com. Do a search for RLS.

Good luck.
Renee
Unread 10-06-2003, 09:35 AM

Well I started the Mirapex on Sat night, and was up peeing three or four times during the night.....and had some VERY vivid dreams but when I woke up Sun morning for the first time since I don't know when my legs didn't hurt at all!!

Last night I took it abit early at 7:00pm and didn't get up once during the night and once again my legs don't hurt......am I feeling more rested? I can't tell yet but it's nice to get a break from those aching legs, I'm only taking 1/2 a .25mg and he said to try that and if I needed to I could go up to a full tab.

We'll see how my legs feels as the day goes on, the aching usually starts around 2-3pm, but it seems like a very positive start.....and no side effects that I've noticed which is a miracle for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2003, 07:11 PM
That's great news Gidge!!!

I'm so glad to see you getting some much needed rest and relief from your aching legs. I literally thought that I would go nuts before I started the Klonopin and when I first started taking it I felt almost like a whole new person. For those who have never dealt with this, it's really hard to imagine what a nightmare it can be.

Big 's to you!!!
Dawn
Unread 10-07-2003, 09:33 AM

thanks for the 's! As always it helps to know I"m not alone in this!

Last night was my 3rd night on the Mirapex and while my legs were aching something terrible by the time I got home, when I got up this morning they felt wonderful.....guess I'd forgotten what normal legs felt like cause mine actually feel warm and relaxed instead of achy, cold and crampy

I am still waking up at 4:00am though so there must be a 2nd piece to the puzzle, possibly the apnea I don't know, he said he didn't want to give me anything to make me sleep better until we ruled that out as it's risky I guess.

For now I'm grateful for the break on the aching legs in the morning, I just wonder if I was to take a whole tab if it would cover me throughout the day as well?
Unread 10-09-2003, 06:33 PM
Legs

Hi gidge and everyone,
I haven't been diagnosed, but I seem to have all the restless leg symptoms. I did notice that it seems to be way worse after surgeries. I wonder if the anethesia does a number on us as well. I swear so much is related to endo, in ways researchers have not even discovered yet. I never had a sleep study, but my husband says at times it sounds like I stop breathing, and then I start up again. i also move my arms straight up into the ari at night and then back. I gues I'm jsut plain weird, I don't know. My legs do ache and it is awful when the twitching stuff goes on. I seem to do repeated movements and I'm not even aware for a while I am doing it. I never had this until the hyst and then the surgeries. A co-worker of mine developed the restless leg stuff after she had her thyroid removed and the doc gave her some meds but I can't remember which one. I'm glad, gidge, the meds are helping you. I've been through so much over the past two months I don't have the strength to even begin to tacke this problem, but I do plan to. I can't miss anymore work, and I'm scheduled for a bladder ultrasound and urine flow study in a few weeks and a follow up with my uro. Guess sleep problems will be next, if my ovary, which hurts a lot, holds out for a while. I will be looking for your posts if you get the sleep study done. How's you bladder and prolapse problems going? I sure hope you can resolve this all soon.
Love, Light Blessings
Druid
Druid
Unread 10-10-2003, 09:53 AM

Hey Druid....sorry to hear you're having such a hard time too.....at least we all have each other right?

The Mirapex really seems to be doing the trick, my legs even feel better during the day instead of being achy they feel sorta warm and comfy (odd way to describe it I know but it's all I can think of) except by the end of the day they still hurt, so this weekend I'm going to try and start taking a whole pill instead of 1/2 and see how well I tolerate that and if it will stop them from aching at the end of the day.

My bladder problems are still the same, prolapse happens everyday to some extent or another depending on what I do and my IC is pretty bad right now for whatever reason, lots of burning and spasming....I'm waiting to hear back from the Uro on the MRI and defecogram or whatever it's called it's been a month since they were supposed to order the tests and I hadn't heard anything so I left a voice mail on WEd and still have not heard back.....good ol' canadian health system

hang in there Druid and see if you can get in to see a sleep doc....this has really helped me!
Unread 10-10-2003, 10:31 AM

I also was diagnosed with RLS about 8 months ago. I figured it out on my own and then convinced my dr. to refer me to a neurologist. I am currently on Mirapex 1.5 mg (he's upped the dosage twice) - he also told me that 7 mg is the highest dosage so not to worry. It has helped tremendously! If you have any other questions, let me know...Good Luck!
Unread 10-10-2003, 08:02 PM

I read somewhere that RLS is associated with a low iron count. In fact, when I was really anemic due to heavy bleeding, I would get leg cramps if I took antihistamines. They gave me phenergan in the hospital, and that did it, too. It's like an antihistamine. If I stay away from that stuff, I'm fine.
Unread 10-11-2003, 09:03 AM

I have been following this post with interest. I was diagnosed with FMS/MPS and CFS a year ago and know that RLS is sometimes associated with those. I've done quite a bit of research on FMS and always skipped the parts on RLS because I didn't feel it applied....I don't move my legs or have twitching in them. However, my feet and legs do burn several nights a week. It is unbearable at times even though I take Elavil and Effexor and Soma. Now you all have me wondering! It is something I am definitely going to discuss with my GP next time I see him.

My grandmother had this problem for years. I remember her taking Darvon and rubbing her legs down with Vicks for years. I wonder how much of this is hereditary. Hmmm....... you all really have me thinking........

I hope everyone finds some relief! s!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register