Ways to Show you care: | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ways to Show you care: Ways to Show you care:

Unread 09-27-2000, 07:29 PM
Ways to Show you care:

Dear Gals,
I'm working on additional info for the pull down menus for visiting friends and family who may want to learn better how to take care of you during this time of pre-op and post op care.

I will compile your answers/posts into a few new catagories on the website.....so PLEASE add to this!

Can you add your ideas to this post in these catagories?

1....How can your caretaker help with snacks and food? What are some recipe ideas or snack ideas that you had or would have liked to see during your recovery?

2....How can your caretaker show you that they care?

3....How can they shop for you?

4...How can your caretaker help you during pre-op time while you are waiting for surgery (and during the pre-op visit?)

5....Anything in particular you would recommend for grins and giggles?

6....List books that you enjoyed or plan on reading during your recovery just for pleasure.

Thanks gals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2000, 02:17 PM
Ways to Show you care:

Moving this back to the top. Any ideas, anyone?
Unread 10-04-2000, 02:30 PM
HELP W/ SNACKS AND FOOD ENTREE'S

My ideas would be to shop ahead of time, and stock up on the things you really like.Anyhting that you think you will crave, get it.Now is the time, PRE and LIW'S, I am one so I know.We must make it as simple as possible.Also, maybe have family make up some dishes for you, or invite them over for a home welcoming, and it can be "Bring A Dish" event... Nothing wrong with that, after all you just had a Hyster. So, also have DH make a grocery list before going to store, or make list together so he knows what you are talking about.You like myself,maybe unable to do much now as a prebee, and need help now.This is even harder to get ready, but just remember it will be way hrder after.We even bought a dishwasher so we dont have to mess with mega dishes.One more thing,you can always buy some good T.V. Dinners. They have alot on the market now, so check it out.Good Luck All Sisters In Waiting, Love ~Sister Sunshine~ {SunnySkies35 in AIM}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2000, 02:48 PM
One more thing...:)

If your Dh is gonna be with you in pre-op, I think the best thing he can do is just hold your hand, and be there with a big listening ear.I like it when my Dh rubs my forehead and it relaxes me to the point of sleepiness.Closing your eyes and enjoying the moment, tune out the others in room.Good Luck all, SisterSunny..
Unread 10-24-2000, 04:08 AM
Ways to Show you care:

Keep your ideas coming, they are great. Just wanted to move this back to the top.
Unread 10-24-2000, 06:48 AM
Ways to Show you care:

My Dh has been wonderful, doing laundry, doing dishes, etc. But the most important thing he has been doing for me that goes way beyond all those things is the fact that every day he tells me how attractive and sexy I am. Here I am, half the time not even taking a shower until the evening, swelly belly feeling very unattractive, but he tells me every day that to him I am, and what's more, when I look into his eyes I know he is telling me the truth.
I am blessed that this man has always done this even before my surgery. He never lets a day go by without telling me how much I mean to him or how attractive he thinks I am. Although it is nice to hear, it is important for me to hear right now, when my self image is not so great.
Unread 10-24-2000, 10:34 AM
Ways to Show you care:

What a wonderful thread!!!

I'm a LIW and that's where most of my concerns are dealing with emotions and preparing for the trip to castle. Here goes:

1) Caregivers, relatives and friends should realize that this operation IS all-consuming to us and that it is a very emotional time. We are scared, we are worried and we are tearful and we need to be able to express these feelings. I guess that the best thing they can do is accept that we are currently like this and accept to listen to our woes.

2) Some of us have young and even very young children, therefore it is important that someone be there to look after the children while we're in the castle and while we're recovering from our trip to the castle.

3) It is important that everyone concerned understands that recovery is LONG and that it is not a matter of taking over for a week or two. Recovery is for 6 weeks and, my guess is, that at least 4 of those weeks will be spent not doing much more than recovering.

4) I've also told DH that I planned to use my time on the Road to Recovery watching all those movies HE doesn't like. He's already told me that he would rent me any movie I wish to watch.

5) I made it very clear to DH, who really has a problems with hospitals, that I expected him to be there for my trip to the castle. Emotional support IS important. Really, I only need to know that HE truly believes that all will be all right, just to reassure me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register