How often to doctor? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How often to doctor? How often to doctor?

Unread 10-04-2003, 05:58 AM
How often to doctor?

Hi sisters,

I had a TAH/BSO on August 13th for ovarian cancer so I have a 17" long incision. My doctor saw me at 3 weeks and at 7 weeks and said that was it! He's now out of town for 2 months.

Is this normal? My cancer was very early stage and so I don't need chemotherapy but it just seems weird to have had so little followup.

Just checking.... Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2003, 11:37 AM
I'd Be Concerned

I'd be concerned that he didn't mention a followup. Even though you didn't need chemo as you were caught early, there should be more followup. Why not schedule an appointment for when he returns or about three months after your last one. You can discuss followup and your concerns at that time. Also, did you have a gyn/onc? If not, you may wish to consider a second opinion/followup with one, since they're the experts on cancer.
Unread 10-04-2003, 12:21 PM
How often to doctor?

I totally agree with Margaret's advice! It really bothers me that he said no further followup was necessary. I see your surgery was for endometrial and ovarian cancers. Were you told what stage?

I had both too, and even though they were caught early (I did have three rounds of chemo as a precaution) the routine is still a checkup every three months for the next couple of years. It is sometimes annoying, but it gives me peace of mind.

Best of luck - please let us know how things go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2003, 02:36 PM
How often to doctor?

Sorry Pam, but this does not sound normal to me either.

A year ago April I also had a total hyst for ovarian cancer. A week after the surgery, I saw my surgeon and he removed the staples. I then saw him for a 6 week check and have been seein him every 2 months since then. My last checkup was in August and he gave me a 3 month reprieve!!

Did you have chemo also?? After finishing chemo, a year ago September, I still see my oncologist at the same time that I see my oncologist/gynocologist.

Be well and take care.

Rosalie
Unread 10-04-2003, 07:00 PM
How often to doctor?

I had a TAH BSO in April for a very early stage ovarian cancer. My surgeon was an onc/gyn. He felt a six month follow-up was sufficicient. That still worries me at times, but I do have faith in him and think he must be doing what's right. But if you are still uneasy I would certainly make an appointment when he returns
Unread 10-04-2003, 11:09 PM
How often to doctor?

I had Stage 1A endometrial adenocarcinoma in May and did lots of research about this. According to the books, I have a 75-100% chance of being alive in 5 years with this early stage of cancer. The book says that I should be checked every three months for 2 years and then, I forgot if it is every 6 or 12 months after that up to 5 years. Then if I live to 5 years, apparently I have beat it.

I would call the American Cancer Society and ask them to research it for you. They have people that do that and call you back within 2 days.

It does not sound right to me. Also, I agree with the person who asked if you have a gyn/onc. My gyn did not even know the difference between grade of cancer and stage of cancer. The gyn/onc 's are in another league--much more knowledgable (sp?).

I also just watched an Oprah show on Friday about how stupidly some doctors act--so get another opinion and be safe.

Good luck.
Unread 10-05-2003, 02:20 AM
How often to doctor?

I agree. My doctor saw me at three and at 6 weeks roughly. Then because of pain he gave me another 3 weeks to heal. Saw him then and everythings looks good.

Now I have a recheck in Feb all set up and there will be follow ups every few months for several years.

Do shedule a follow up 3 to 4 months from surgery.

My doctor says I should continue to have pap tests regularly.

And I am to call if there are any problems.

Kasha Kitty
Unread 10-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Thanks!

Thanks, sisters! I called the doctor's office and was told that I should have made an appointment for January before I left - it's just that the doctor forgot to mention it. :-( I really like him - he's a gyn/onc - but I sometimes wonder if he would have noticed if I'd never returned to him after the surgery!

My incision still looks so gross that it seems to me like I want someone in charge to be monitoring it but I guess I should be a big girl! Thanks again!
Unread 10-05-2003, 06:50 PM
checkups

I had a TAH-BSO on Sept 23rd for endometrial cancer. At my one week post op, my gyn-onc told me that it was very early stage and had not breached the uterine wall, so in effect I had a surgical cure. I just have to see him 4 times a year for the next couple of years and then once a year after that. I don't see him again til february.

Elaine
Unread 10-06-2003, 10:21 PM
How often to doctor?

I found out I had ovarian cancer with low malignant potential when I had my hyster on August 12. Was told it was "best kind to have" as once it is removed you are basically cured. Mine was graded at IIC. My doc is not an onc/gyn, she referred me to the onc/gyn that consulted. He said all I needed was 2 pelvic exams a year, one by him, one by my gyn. He did do a baseline CT Scan for me on 9/25. I don't feel he communicates openly with me, tells me only what he thinks I need to hear and the rest is like pulling teeth. I go to a different onc/gyn at the end of the month. This time a woman.

If you don't feel comfortable with the monitoring plan, or lack of one, change onc/gyn. Nothing says you have to go to that one doctor. Find one you feel comfortable with. You should have several years of follow up by that doctor. This was the advice from my gyn.

Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register