Pre-Cancerous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Cancerous Pre-Cancerous

Unread 09-27-2000, 09:32 PM
Pre-Cancerous

I am having either a TVH or a LAVH on Oct.10. I went for my yearly in July and mentioned bleeding between periods for the last 3 months to my dr. She did a sonogram and said my uterine lining was too enlarged for the part of my cycle that I was in. I ended up having a polyp removed Sept. 5 and a D&C was done at the same time. The biopsy came back that I have Complex Atypical Hyperplasia, too much estrogen and atypical cells. 24-30% risk of developing uterine or endometrial cancer, although none was present at this time. I have absolutely no risk factors in my background. I am not obese, I have had 3 children (all normal pregnancies), I was on birth control pills after my 1st child about 3 years and about 1 year after my second. No one in my family has had any female cancers. My worry: will they find cancer in the uterus somewhere other than the lining after they get it out and biopsy it? Has anyone else had this condition??? I am healthy and my periods have been heavy for 2-3 days per month lasting 7 days per month. So, I don't think my periods have been bad...after reading so many others' experiences. Let me know what you think.

cg (aka anxious)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2000, 06:10 AM
Pre-Cancerous

Hi cg, I had a LAVH for pre cancerous :evil: cells of the cervix. Once your uterus is removed any chance of cancer there, is removed also. I was so relieved when I woke up after surgery and knew that it was all gone So hang in there and remember we are here for you always
Unread 09-28-2000, 06:34 AM
Pre-Cancerous

There are no absolute guarantees until they do the biopsies, but it's extremely unlikely that there is anything more than the pre-cancerous cells.

Not having any risk factors is actually not a very good gauge of risk. They don't know enough about what's going on and there are a number of different forms that get lumped into the word uterine cancer. So don't feel that you've been singled out or this is a freak. It just happens and they don't know why in the majority of cases.

But one thing you can be sure of, it's being caught early and that's a wonderful thing, a real blessing.

It's normal to be anxious, but it will be ok.
{{{cg}}}
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2000, 09:39 AM
Pre-Cancerous

It sounds like your doctor is really avoiding something before it gets serious, so be glad that things are being done now. You will feel so much better knowing that the "maybe's" are all gone. Plus, you have your family, and like my doctor told me...you really don't need that uterus anymore! Try to keep your spirits up and keep posting..it really does help to get your feelings out!
Unread 09-30-2000, 09:08 AM
Pre-Cancerous

CG I know exactly what you are going through. I was diagnosed with Complex Hyperplasia w/Atypia about 5 years ago. I have had yearly endometrial biopsies, two D&Cs, and just 10 days ago a TAH.
They found no cancer during the surgery. Of course, they will do further testing.
Before you go through a hysterectomy, I would suggest (since this is the first episode of Hyperplasia with Atypia--it is actually the atypia that makes it precancerous)that you discuss a treatment with Medroxyprogesterone to see if that clears up the hyperplasia. The normal treatment for severe cases is three months on 20 mg Medroxy. Then a Endometrial biopsy to check the results.
I since the path reports of your D&C did not state uterine cancer, I would believe there is no cancer present.
I am really questioning the wisdom I had in having a TAH now that I know there was no cancer. My doctor had also stated that in 30% of the women there is ... that means in 70% there isn't. Like I said, I was diagnosed with the same thing more than five years ago (through treatments it went away and came back a few times). Finally doctor said hysterectomy and I agreed based on the "possibility". I really believe I could have waited continuing treatments and maybe never had a hysterectomy.
Sorry I am so long. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. I have been studying hyperplasia w/atypia a long long time.
Unread 09-30-2000, 12:47 PM
atypical hyperplasia

I also was diagnosed with pre-cancerous "complex atypical endometrial hyperplasia." This was in April 2000. I had a hysterectomy on June 2 and it was discovered that I had Stage Ib uterine cancer. The cancer was 1mm into the uterine wall but, as my oncologist told me, by removing the uterus the cancer is "cured." There also was a question about ovarian cancer. It turned out to be "borderline" in both ovaries (which were removed at surgery).
I am doing ok now, just waiting for mammogram results.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register