Does anyone know what Adrenal Mass (Adenoma) is??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does anyone know what Adrenal Mass (Adenoma) is??? Does anyone know what Adrenal Mass (Adenoma) is???

Unread 10-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Does anyone know what Adrenal Mass (Adenoma) is???

Hi Ladies,

Before I get started, 's to all. I have been on "board" for a couple of years now. I rarely post, but am always "lurking" (SMILE).

I have a question ... not sure if this was caused by my hyster or what.

Does anyone have a clue as to what an Adrenal Mass called Adenoma is?

Yesterday, I went to ER for a pain in the upper middle part of my stomach. After having to drink the barium for a CT scan, with that being done, a couple hours later they had to take me back in for another CT. What was found was this adrenal mass. I know it has something to do with my kidney, but WHAT? Is this cancer?

I don't know if I'm scared or what.

I do know that my "Systers" here will at least give me some reassurance that things will be okay. This site is awesome for that. 's and to all.

So, if anyone knows about this, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks ladies,

Darlene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2003, 07:07 PM

Hi DarCee please try not to panic... adrenal masses can be common. A small percentage of them can turn out to be cancerous, but most are not. Here is a link with information about adrenal adenoma:

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic62.htm

Some adenomas are hormonally active, and the treatment is to remove them. Are you having any hormonal symptoms? (Fine question to ask a woman who's had a hyst, isn't that? )

When is your next appointment, and do you know what the DR is planning to do next? Please keep us posted and try not to get too worried about things that may not happen, OK?

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-05-2003, 08:13 AM

(((Darlene))))
I'm glad you decided to post I've been wondering how you were doing?!?
I had assumed things had improved. I'm soo very sorry you have this new problem :-(
I havw personal advice/info to share but I did find some links that contain some wonderful details along w/ treament info:

Diagnosis and Management of the Adnexal Mass :
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980515ap/drake.html

Virtual Hospital: University of Iowa Family Practice Handbook:
http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/fam...r13/14-13.html

http://womenshealth.jhmi.edu/gyn/conditions/adnexal.htm
MANAGEMENT OF BENIGN ADNEXAL MASSES BY BY VAGINAL ROUTE
http://www.bioscience.org/1996/v1/g/...tmls/massi.pdf

Hope this is of some help in providing a better
understanding & insight as to what they are & available treaments...Pls keep us posted....((((hugs))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Still confused, but thanks anyhow :)

Hi again.

(((Linda))), thanks for the link, but it is one that I had already come across and it is soooo foreign to me. Don't really understand what it means. I need it laid out to me in "layman's" terms. Know what I mean?

And yes, I have MAJOR problems with my hormones. How can my kidney and hormone be connected? SHEESH, I sound so dumb, eh?

And (((SHERI))), awww, it's nice that you have thought about me. No, things have not improved for me at all. Still fighting with my demon --- nasty depression.

The links you supplied don't have anything to do with me. (Sorry, didn't mean to sound mean, but you know what I mean ) I have no ovaries. And Linda had asked if I was having hormone problems and that was a big fat YES!!!!

I am going to call the County Hospital clinic tomorrow to get in for an appointment with a surgeon/nephrologist. I will let ya'll know the outcome hopefully sometime during the week.

Again, thanks Linda and Sheri...ya'll are awesome and as I have said many, many times HYSTERSYSTERS are awesome.

and 's

Darlene
Unread 10-05-2003, 09:13 AM

((Darlene))
I'm soo sorry Here are a few to *ADRENAL M*****

Nonfunctional Adrenal Masses:

Quote:
Space-occupying lesions of the adrenal glands that have no hormonal activity..Adrenal adenomas, detected by abdominal CT or MRI, are the most common of these masses. In newborns, spontaneous adrenal hemorrhage may produce large adrenal masses, simulating neuroblastoma or Wilms' tumor. In adults, bilateral massive adrenal hemorrhage may result from thromboembolic disease or coagulopathy. Benign adrenal cysts are observed in the elderly and may be due to cystic degeneration, vascular accidents, bacterial infections, or parasitic infestations (Echinococcus). The adrenals may become infected with tuberculosis organisms via the bloodstream, causing adrenal masses. Rare nonfunctional adrenal carcinoma produces a diffuse and infiltrating retroperitoneal process. The most common nonfunctioning adrenal mass in adults is an adenoma (55%), followed by metastatic tumors (30%). Cysts and lipomas make up most of the remainder.Symptoms, Signs, and Treatment

Nonfunctional adrenal masses are usually found incidentally during tests conducted for other reasons. With any adrenal mass, adrenal insufficiency is rarely observed unless both glands are involved. Small adrenal adenomas ( < 2 cm) usually are nonfunctional, produce no symptoms, and require no special treatment but should be kept under observation for growth or development of secretory function. If metastatic disease is a possibility, fine-needle biopsy can be diagnostic. If the tumor is solid, of adrenal origin, and > 6 cm, it should be excised, because biopsy cannot always distinguish benign from malignant tumors. The major signs of bilateral massive adrenal hemorrhage are abdominal pain, falling Hct, signs of acute adrenal failure, and presence of suprarenal masses on CT or MRI. Tuberculosis of the adrenals may cause calcification and adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease). Nonfunctional adrenal carcinoma usually manifests as metastatic disease and is not amenable to surgery, though mitotane may afford chemotherapeutic control when used in association with supportive exogenous corticosteroids.

http://www.merck.com/pubs/mmanual/se...hapter9/9e.htm
Unread 10-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Aww Sheri

(((SHERI)))

Thanks MUCHO. This info was great.

Darlene
Unread 10-05-2003, 01:05 PM

Whoops (((Dar-cee))) I said a *few links* only sent 1...here they
are

adrenal mass: http://chorus.rad.mcw.edu/doc/00012.html:

bilateral adrenal mass:
http://chorus.rad.mcw.edu/doc/00525.html

Evaluation of Incidental Renal and Adrenal Masses:
http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010115/288.htm

Take care my Dear ((Sister)).....((((hugs))))
Unread 10-05-2003, 01:26 PM

Hi again (((Darlene))) I know we've got you drowning in info now... but I have just a couple more for you. These two are pretty well written and easy to understand, about how the adrenal hormones work and interact with your other hormones:

http://www.stillpointhealth.com/adre...imbalances.htm

and

http://meds.queensu.ca/medicine/pharm/adrenal.ppt

The first link seems to me to be written pretty simply and clearly, directed towards patients rather than people with medical degrees .

That second one is a powerpoint presentation so it's best downloaded and saved on your computer, and I don't think it will work if you don't have PowerPoint but I'm not sure (not a Windows expert here by any means ). I included it hoping you can view it because it has illustrations... such as showing exactly where the adrenals are (sitting on top of your kidneys).

You didn't mention what hormonal problems you are having exactly but I would bet at least that they include trouble sleeping, high blood pressure, anxiety and a feeling of being stressed out and tired all the time... does that sound like you? You could also be having symptoms that look like too much testosterone (facial hair, oily skin and acne etc.) even if you're not using testosterone, depending on the nature of the mass you have.

Hang in there sweetie, I hope you get some answers real soon and the trouble is easily taken care of.

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-07-2003, 01:59 PM

I'm just going to bounce in here without completely reading the threads before me. Having had one kidney removed and the adrenal gland removed as well, with the lymph nodes; I can tell you if there is a mass on one adrenal gland, it is probably confined to one kidney. The gland sits on the top of the kidney on each side of your body and is part of the endocrine system. You can live with one adrenal gland if one has to be removed; as I do so now. I also live with only one kidney, though it has tumors on it. So there are many ways of looking at your situation.

Yes, the medical jargon seems imposing at times, but begin to educate yourself. Your best defense in dealing with this, is a good offense with information. First look up endocrine or adrenal gland, then work slowly from there. Absorb what you can, ask questions or search further about what you don't understand. I of all can understand how frustrating the information can be to decipher. I have just now come across an article recently that confirms what I was told 17 years ago from this operation. It took that long to find written confirmation on the Internet verifying what I was told, that my situation was indeed genetic.

Hormones and kidneys and adrenal glands are all part of the endocrine system, which is regulating your hormones. When you lose one adrenal gland you lose a part of your endocrine system, which affects the rest of it. If they tell you it is a "lipoma", that usually means it is a fatty tissue tumor, non-cancerous (such as angiomyolipoma). But yes, your adrenal gland and kidney are a part of each other, make no mistake about that. Losing one is not the end of the world either, your body eventually adjusts to having just one; in case that ends up being a factor for you. You can also live with 1/4 of one kidney if need be (not optimal, but possible).

Okay, from someone who knows too much medical info <frown>, which shows I've been through a hell of a lot, besides this current hysterectomy.
Unread 10-23-2003, 09:42 AM
Me again

Hi (((LADIES)))

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back with you.

Sorta good news??? I have an appointment this afternoon at 1 pm with a surgeon. Hopefully he will let me know what is going on or what will need to be done. Am I scared???? You bet your sweet-bippy I am.

(((Linda))), you are absolutely correct as I think this is all hormonal. My hair is extremely dry and falling out majorly, crying, depression, moodiness, my body aches something fierce (I think I may have FMS as well...gonna ask the doc about this). I don't really think it's a testosterone thingy. Well not too much, maybe not enough.

I have already had some bloodwork done and also a 24 hour urine test. (((BJ))) you are probably familiar with that, eh? Something to do with Cortisol? Also so sorry to hear that you had to have a kidney removed. How do you feel? Does it make a big difference with only one?

I have also posted about how I was denied Medicaid on another post -- Please put me out of my misery... Still trying to work through that.

So, a few more hours to go... Please keep your fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that it will be a good appointment. Will fill you in later.

Thanks and and 's

Darlene

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register