All Gyn Cancer Sisters! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

All Gyn Cancer Sisters! All Gyn Cancer Sisters!

Unread 10-07-2003, 09:32 AM
All Gyn Cancer Sisters!

Here is an easy way to be an advocate:

http://capwiz.com/sgo/home/

Please check out this important legislation and let your representatives know how you feel. It is so easy to do.
Just type in your zip code and your representative will be found for you. Click on the patient letter, fill in your own info and send.
You can even compose your own letter if you wish.
Let's all get behind this.
oxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2003, 02:41 PM
All Gyn Cancer Sisters!

Thanks Karen for the heads up. My E-Mails were sent today. I wrote personal ones to my representative and senators. Hope they sit up and take notice.

Ruth S
Unread 10-07-2003, 03:02 PM
Johanna's Law--Gyn CA Educ. & Awareness Act

Thanks, Karen! I see that the law to which the link refers is the first legislative initiative listed in the SGO/GCF Annual Report. I plan to write a "paper" letter rather than email to my Congressman, Chris Smith. I want to incorporate some personal information about my cancer history since I previously wrote to Congressman Smith when for more than a year and a half neither of my two insurance companies paid my hospital bill for my cancer surgery. The Congressman wrote and obtained reimbursement on my behalf in less than a month's time.

Once the bill is introduced and available online, I'll try to obtain a copy and post it so we can see what the proposed legislation actually states. We may want to write to our legislators again at that point if we believe changes are necessary to make the legislation more effective for women to be able to receive a prompt diagnosis and effective treatment for gynecologic cancers.

In addition, we might want to use the bill as a model to take to our state legislators, since we have no assurances that the federal legislation will pass or how long passage might take.

Thanks again for providing the site!

MoeKay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2003, 03:49 PM
All Gyn Cancer Sisters!

MoeKay

The only problem with snailmail is that in Washington DC they are a little slower to read it these days. Ever since the anthrax scare.
Faxing is also an option.

oxox karenann
Unread 10-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Congressmen Have Local Offices!

Hi, Karen--

I'm not sending it to Washington, I'm sending it to Congressman Smith's local office right here in Hamilton Square, my home town. In fact, I may even hand-deliver it as his office is only a mile or two from my house.

MoeKay
Unread 10-07-2003, 07:07 PM
All Gyn Cancer Sisters!

Karen, said and done. I signed and sent this yesterday while surfing at work. ( shhhh...) Thank you for letting everyone know.

I wondered why they all didn't sign it. Don't any of them have family members with cancer or lost a loved one?
Unread 10-07-2003, 09:38 PM
All Gyn Cancer Sisters!

Hi Karenann, many thanks for the heads up re the pending legislation and the easy access to that website. Just sent mine out. peggiesue
Unread 10-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Responding to Mary P.

Hi, Mary--

This is in response to your question inquiring "why they [Congress] didn't sign the legislation." The reason is that the legislative initiative has not yet gone through the formal legislation process. Thus, Congress has not had an opportunity to vote on passage or even consider the proposal or that matter. The legislative initiative is discussed in the "First Annual Report on Gynecologic Cancer" which was recently released by the Gynecologic Cancer Foundation/Society of Gynecologic Oncologists. I posted the link to the report in my post with the heading of the name of the report.

If you do access the report, you will see that the legislative initiative in question, named Johanna's Law: the Gynecologic Cancer Education and Awareness Act of 2003, is found on page (i) of the document. You will also see that (at least at the time of the GCF/SGO Annual Report), the legislation had not yet even been introduced by its sponsors in the House of Representatives. Before it can become law, it will need to go thought both houses of Congress and be signed by the President.

Best regards.

MoeKay
Unread 10-10-2003, 04:27 PM
All Gyn Cancer Sisters!

Hi KareAnn
Help, I didn't quite understand doing this. I went to the site I found out who my congressmen were now do I put their names in the letter. Please guide me through this I feel this is important.
thanks
Unread 10-11-2003, 05:22 AM
thank you

Moekay-
Thank you for the info. I don't understand bills, laws, and our government as well as I should.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register