Fistulas again, help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fistulas again, help! Fistulas again, help!

Unread 10-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Fistula returns

I haven't posted in a long while. I get on the site and ck on other things but just haven't posted.

Some of the names here I remember and are glad to see are doing really well.

Well I have a delima as to what to do and could use anyones input that wants to offer it. I had a fistula surgery Dec. 2002 and have been fine till June of this yr. Started leaking again very small amounts and finally gave in and went to see the urologist that did my surgery. He did the scope in the bladder thing and says he thinks there are 2 small fistulas. That there are 2 indentions and he doesn't know if they go into my bladder or not. But if I have leaking then he's pretty sure their fistula's. He wants to do Day surgery to find out and if they are there then carterize. BUT, he said going in there might make the leaking worse and then the next surgery would be through the abdom. It has been almost a yr. since I did this last yr. and my holidays were spent in pain. I am so scared because of what I know to expect. I'm considering waiting till after the 1st of the yr. and see then. Does anyone think they might heal on there own? I don't have a cathator. And does anyone know if straining like moving furniture or anything heavy will make it worse. Because some days it seems I leak more then others.

Well thanks in advance for anyones help. I wish you all the best.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2003, 05:23 PM
Fistulas again, help!

Hi Kim,
I am so sorry you have to go through this again. Yes, sometimes but not very often fistulas heal on their own. I have a fistula that did not heal even after 2 abdominal/vaginal repairs. I now have my bladder disconnected & have a urostomy. This was done May 31st of this year & yesterday my tests showed positive results & my dr gave me glowing marks. I see you are from Texas. Are you anywhere near Houston? I keep getting the same referral to a woman dr in Houston that is supposed to be the leading expert on fistula repairs. I don't remember her name but could probably get it for you if interested. She supposedly has done some remarkable work & is really good at fixing the really hard cases. I may in the future pursue this avenue but right now feel better then I have in 30 years. Don't be moving any heavy objects just because it won't help you heal & could make things worse. My heart goes out to you!

God Bless,
Terry
Unread 10-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Fistulas again, help!

Kim,

YIKES! I too am a fistula sister and it took me a long time to heal....

I had TAH in Nov. 2002
I had Fistuala repair abdom. Feb. 2003.

I'm on the road to physical recovery (except that I'm on antibiotics low dose for UTI's...but still suffering from depression, PTSD and RLS.

I hope they heal on their own....<sigh> My urologist said I couldn't make the fistula worse by jogging, lifting, etc.....I would LISTEN to your body and not hurt yourself.

Good luck and s to you.

Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2003, 09:25 PM
Fistulas again, help!

Kim,

I saw yor post and sent you a PM. It's good to hear from you, wish it was under better circumstances!

I just wanted to thank you again for all your support during my fistula recovery-I appreciate all your kind words and support.

Let me know if you need anything.

Hugs,

Louise
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:07 AM
HI

Terry,

I to have heard about this lady Dr. in Houston from my urlogist now but no name has been mentioned. If you could get her name it would be a big help. I want to see if it's the same Dr. and see if my insurance would cover her.

It's a ways to Houston from here but it might be worth it.

Thanks so much.

Kim
Unread 10-10-2003, 06:03 AM
Fistulas again, help!

Kim -

It always breaks my heart to see another posting about a fistula. I too have had fistula repair surgery - July 2003.

Just know that you are in my thoughts and prayers - praying that this will heal on its own!

Take care!
Unread 10-10-2003, 09:00 AM
Fistulas again, help!

Dear Kim, I am so sorry that you have to go through another surgery... I just had my fistula repaired , still have supra that should be removed today.

To answer you question about catherisation, yes sometimes fistula heals on it's own. I met in my Uro office a lady who had a cath for 2,5 months and her fistula healed. So, you never know...
I was not this lucky.

((( Terry ))) I am so glad for you that finally there is a progress in your treatment. You are such an inspiration for me...

Dear fistula sisters, I love you all

Maria
Unread 10-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Fistulas again, help!

Hi Kim,

I have a call into one of my stoma nurses. As soon as she gets back to me with the information I will PM you. I hope this turns out to be the same dr you heard about & you get to see her. I will be reading your posts with interest to see how this resolves. I am praying for you.

God Bless,
Terry
Unread 10-10-2003, 03:43 PM
Fistulas again, help!

Hi Kim,

My ET Nurse has given me the info. I will PM you with it! Hope it helps.

Terry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register